Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob or not ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love the key fob. I have the auto frunk installed as well. I love how quickly I can press it to unlock the car for the whole family, open the frunk and open the trunk. I have the key fob mounted in a key ring holder and it clips onto my belt buckle and sits nicely in my pocket. On a rainy day I don't have to take the phone out etc

Ultimately the idea is to have a single multi-purpose RFID chip where you can write everything you need (car key, house key, office badge, driving licence, bank card) etc...
By the same logic I could have the same key for all the different locks I encounter, which is equally unlikely as a universal NFC identifier.

By the same logic I could have the same key for all the different locks I encounter, which is equally unlikely as a universal NFC identifier.
NFC are not using their UUID for authentication purposes. (or extremely insecure ones from a decade+ ago).
You rather store an cryptographic key or an encrypted certificate on the chip. That's what is read and validated against the card reader after an initial handshake, and cannot be cloned easily.
That's what Tesla uses with a Java applet and a 256bits DH key. Hasn't been defeated so far afaik.
And you can have multiple (different keys) stored on a single chip. Quite different from a universal key in your analogy.

I normally use my phone as a key but I'm sorely tempted to buy a Key Fob because in my head it's 'cool', I'd appreciate any feedback from existing users to help me decide.
My old S had a key fob and no card or phone access.
It was "cool" but no longer "cool" ... tech moves on and so should you.
My new S has phone, card, and fob. I use the phone all the time. I have a card as backup but never use it (except for valet parking). I've never used the fob... why carry a lump in your pocket?

Can you even buy the key fobs? I looked at could only find them on the US store with no overseas shipping,
Yh, you can buy it directly from the Tesla App for £168. I purchased mine from Tesla for £150 back in March. They increased there prices buy £18 now. See the photo attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221024_224329_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20221024_224329_Tesla.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: Belly Buster
I normally use my phone as a key but I'm sorely tempted to buy a Key Fob because in my head it's 'cool', I'd appreciate any feedback from existing users to help me decide.
I don't carry any keys so it would be odd to carry a fob again. I carry my key card and usually my phone and also my apple watch with the 3rd party app can unlock and remote start the car with touch screen or siri voice commands

Yes, apple watch is more multifunctional for £300-350 than a key fob costing £150 but again different solutions for different needs! I wouldn’t carry a fob on top of my wallet but people who carry key pouch wont mind a fob!
View attachment 867291
Unless you buy the Apple Watch that includes cellular and a compatible plan from EE, O2 or Voda then it's still dependent on your phone, so not really a backup. It's cheaper to buy the regular watch and the keyfob!

Unless you buy the Apple Watch that includes cellular and a compatible plan from EE, O2 or Voda then it's still dependent on your phone, so not really a backup. It's cheaper to buy the regular watch and the keyfob!
I meant using the watch instead of fob not replacing carrying mobile. I am yet to see a Tesla driver going around without their phone irrespective of whether they use it to open the car or not!

Reactions: Js1977
I meant using the watch instead of fob not replacing carrying mobile. I am yet to see a Tesla driver going around without their phone irrespective of whether they use it to open the car or not!
Maybe a jogger going for his weekly workout.
That's also the biggest issue with the phone key atm. It's easy to forget you left it in the wireless charging cradle, the car should give you a gentle chime or reminder if you've opened the door with the phone still charging inside...

As I mentioned in another post, it would also be completely possible today to emulate the keycard and add it as an NFC card on your Apple Watch wallet. But that requires just a couple hours of dev from Tesla... which they apparently aren't wiling to do just yet...