Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Key Chain Idea

Here is my latest attempt. I have used an 11mm ring in the fob, although a 10mm would likely also work and then hooked that ring to a small swivel attached to the key ring. Both the split ring and swivel are available on Amazon for about $3/100. (Note to self - Need to buy more Model S'). The swivel lines the fob up nicely with the keys.

photo.JPG

I still want a nice Tesla wrist watch that doubles as the fob.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

I tore apart a nike fuelband to see if I could stick the internals in there. No go, but I'm sure some sort of sleeve could be fabricated for the internals to slide into. Kickstarter?

also, pete, my service center added a little keychain-like rope to my FOB, which I like, but I'd also jump in for one of yours!

Waterproof key fob solution?

Hi - I saw the other key fob solutions thread, but it looks like that's about something different.

I like to kitesurf, which involves going out in the disgusting bay and ocean with nothing much but a wetsuit and a harness. Anybody have a good, as-small-as-possible, waterproof keyfob solution?

I've seen some cases like these:http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Container-Airtight-Money-Beach/dp/B002EDCS06 , which would work, but if anybody has a link to a specific product that is exactly the right size (so that it is less bulky when stashed under my wetsuit), that would be appreciated. And any other ideas would be nice as well.

I've never heard of waterproof pouches, but a quick google search shows that they do in fact exist. Anybody know if they are actually for reals 100% waterproof, or are they going to be like a ziploc bag which will leak 1 out of every 100 times and ruin the fob?

So far I guess my best, safest idea is to foodsaver vacuumseal one of the fobs (no, really), stash that in a waterproof box or pouch, wrap the cord around my neck or shoulder, and stuff it under a wetsuit.

Hopefully somebody has a better solution, like an exact Tesla Model S keyfob-shaped waterproof box that I can surgically implant into my forearm or something.

Mod note: The posts from pete's awesome Tesla key fob cover were moved to their own thread since it generated so much interest and will likely be sold to people at some point. There seems to be an issue with the server on where they actually went. Will try to get them restored and they should appear in this same section of the forum.

Mod note: The posts from pete's awesome Tesla key fob cover were moved to their own thread since it generated so much interest and will likely be sold to people at some point. There seems to be an issue with the server on where they actually went. Will try to get them restored and they should appear in this same section of the forum.

Here it is: pete8314-s-Tesla-Key-Fob-Cover

NOTE TO MODS: As part of the aborted move of the portion of the thread relating to Pete's product, this index on this thread seems to be jacked up too. It shows as being 17 pages long (assuming default page display size) for me, but you can't navigate past page 13...

We'll see what happens when I post this...

It has a opening in the back that it squeezes thru. You can kind of see it in the original pic that I posted (the second pic was of the back)

Thanks! Duh. I have images turned off on my forum settings, and didn't notice the limage links in your first post. i just saw the amazon link. makes sense. i actually think i like these better than the case logic ones (and the Tesla logo'd ones that Pete is making).

I'm in for 2 of these and will give someone else the chance to get one of Pete's first batch of 100. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of people interested in his anyways.

suggestion: FOB with micro USB port

The key fob needs a micro USB port.

- when plugged into a power source, the FOB battery is charged.
This will avoid getting lost in the woods with a drained FOB.

- when plugged into any computer, laptop, or tablet, there will
be an option to install a software/navigate to a URL that controls your car
remotely via the web. The attached key fob serves as an authentication token.

discuss.

The key fob needs a micro USB port.

- when plugged into a power source, the FOB battery is charged.
This will avoid getting lost in the woods with a drained FOB.

- when plugged into any computer, laptop, or tablet, there will
be an option to install a software/navigate to a URL that controls your car
remotely via the web. The attached key fob serves as an authentication token.

discuss.

+1

- should be able to be plugged into the car's USB ports
- then it could also be used as a means of securely acquiring the log data.