Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A very thin zip tie. Takes a few seconds to work it through the opening in the fob, but then you can attach it to the rest of your key chain and it's pretty unobtrusive.

Attachments

• DSC_0844.jpg
    DSC_0844.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,398

I use that, except...I don't use it. I have one on each key--originally didn't even bother with one on my key--and I've hooked it to my regular chain once. But I usually wear jeans to work, so I just but the fob in the small coin pocket, my regular keys in my regular pocket, and I'm good to go! No need to attach to my other keys; never need to take it out, but if I want to tape the buttons quickly, it's easier to get to or push in the little coin pocket instead of the deeper pocket mixed in with other keys. For me, I mean. :)

My house is keyless so I don't carry a keychain, I wouldn't want to scratch the Fob either, so I just got on of the DW's hair thingy majiggy's, I think thats the word, anyway, it hangs up,has some stretch to it as it's elastic, and it's strong, is easily identifiable at the Valet, and I can use a different color for the different fobs, works really well for me.
FOB-001.jpg
FOB-002.jpg
I THINK I'LL CALL IT THE EXHAUST LOOP.

I was about to use a black zip tie as well until I found a USB flash drive holder mentioned in the previous post. It's a great solution! Fits perfect and won't scratch. I've met a good amount of people at the supercharging stations and most of them attempted to place a key ring. I feel so bad for some of them cause they chewed up their key. They were relieved when I shared this product with them.

2013-04-08083402.jpg
2013-04-08083353.jpg
2013-04-08104008.jpg
2013-04-08104017.jpg

I was about to use a black zip tie as well until I found a USB flash drive holder mentioned in the previous post. It's a great solution! Fits perfect and won't scratch. I've met a good amount of people at the supercharging stations and most of them attempted to place a key ring. I feel so bad for some of them cause they chewed up their key. They were relieved when I shared this product with them.

I saw that product in the stores a couple of years ago and thought "how stupid is that?" Who'd want to carry USB thumb drives in a padded case on their key chain? After reading this thread, I knew it would be perfect for the Model S key fob and went looking for one. All of the stores I went to told me the product was discontinued, and I finally found one in the clearance bin at the 5th store I tried.

It works great, but I'd suggest moving quickly to find one!

I saw that product in the stores a couple of years ago and thought "how stupid is that?" Who'd want to carry USB thumb drives in a padded case on their key chain? After reading this thread, I knew it would be perfect for the Model S key fob and went looking for one. All of the stores I went to told me the product was discontinued, and I finally found one in the clearance bin at the 5th store I tried.

It works great, but I'd suggest moving quickly to find one!
I just ordered a pair on Amazon last night. I think this is amazingly appropriate for the fob.

@htsai: thanks for the great pics. I appreciate the other pics posted above, but yours really show how this is perfect for the fob, even though I ordered it before seeing your pics.

@ Kevin

Thank you!! I agree. I hate the FOB. I was going to start a thread about a blog that doesn't look like a cheap hot wheels car. I assume that before too long there will be parent blog posts that say "6 months later and we found the Tesla key in the kids' toy box." This was another impractical gimmick, just too cute, in the vain of, "hey, no one really wants grab handles or hooks for dry cleaning."

I think the FOB should have been sleek brushed aluminum with a nice Tesla emblem on it and visible buttons it. I would have taken the approach -- how would Apple have designed this key. Btw, for "practical" cute, I might have, say, made the key be USB thumbdrive with 32GB of of memory so that you could use for your media too.

@ Kevin

Thank you!! I agree. I hate the FOB. I was going to start a thread about a blog that doesn't look like a cheap hot wheels car. I assume that before too long there will be parent blog posts that say "6 months later and we found the Tesla key in the kids' toy box." This was another impractical gimmick, just too cute, in the vain of, "hey, no one really wants grab handles or hooks for dry cleaning."

I think the FOB should have been sleek brushed aluminum with a nice Tesla emblem on it and visible buttons it. I would have taken the approach -- how would Apple have designed this key. Btw, for "practical" cute, I might have, say, made the key be USB thumbdrive with 32GB of of memory so that you could use for your media too.
Keyfob having the media would mean the fob would most often be left in the car. ... Nice idea tho. =)

I do what kendallpb does; put it in my coin pocket.

My wife puts it in a little slot in her purse.

Neither of us puts it with other keys. The other keys can fend for themselves! :wink:

I've tried out 3 different setups over the last few months, started with this:View attachment 18948

Although that worked fine and made it easy to detach a key-ring from the fob, was starting to see too much wear on the fob itself from being in my pocket, so now advanced to this USB sleeve:View attachment 18949

Ended up attaching the camera straps to the USB sleeve key-ring, as I liked the detachable connectors.

Similar to me. Tried the first, works fine. But didnt want the fob to get all scratched up as other owners are reporting. So I got the USB sleeves too. Instead of just using the sleeve, which I guess technically the fob isn't attached to and may fall out (unlikely, as it's a tight fit), I use a combination of both. Works just fine for me.

fobsleeve.JPG

Similar to me. Tried the first, works fine. But didnt want the fob to get all scratched up as other owners are reporting. So I got the USB sleeves too. Instead of just using the sleeve, which I guess technically the fob isn't attached to and may fall out (unlikely, as it's a tight fit), I use a combination of both. Works just fine for me.

View attachment 20189

When I first saw your photo of the doubled up solution, I thought it was overkill. THis was before I had the car. Now that I have it, and used the USB sleeve, I realize how easy it is for the fob to pop out, esp. when pressing the fob. And that could potentially be bad. So, I am also using the doubled-up solution. I happened to have a couple of these straps lying around (I think from actual USB/SD card readers I've bought over the years). Much safer.

The only mod to your design is I poked a very small hole in the back of the case logic sleeve to thread the strap through, then attached to the key ring. This helps keep the fob in the sleeve since it sort of anchors it in there. Otherwise, its more prone to pop out because it forces it to hang out slightly. But great idea. It is odd that we'd have to engineer such a "complex" solution IMO. Part of that is Tesla's design and our anal-retentiveness I suppose :)

For those of you looking for the most appropriate lanyards, this site: Rhode Island Textile Company - Assembly & Finishing
just came across in the woodworking forum I frequent. They are wholesalers only, I think, so it might be usable only for someone who wants to supply the rest of us with a custom product..... :)

From their website:
Shipping over 4 MILLION LANYARDS each year, we are the largest fully vertical manufacturer of lanyards in the USA. We do it all...from weaving to dyeing, printing to assembly

Same here. Came to this solution as soon as the USB case arrived. Fantastic fix; doubling-up means you always capture the fob, no matter needing to get a good push on a button or it just slipping out.