Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kicked out of the FSD Beta! (Long Post)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, apologies for the long post, but I feel like my M3 investment deserves this airing! I’m not a super-frequent visitor here, but have read many threads over the 2.5 years I’ve had my beloved Dual Motor Model 3. I’m posting today to explain how I was unceremoniously booted from the FSD beta program last week. But before I get into that, a little background.

First and foremost: I love my M3. It has changed my life. I previously had a Subaru Forrester. I’m a consultant and drive about 1-2 hours per day, going to various client sites. For a couple years leading up to the M3 purchase, my body, and particularly my back, would be *hurting* after longer drives in the Forrester. I was honestly asking myself how I was going to keep going with my career, with the aches and pains that driving was causing me. Then I looked into a Model 3. And the rest is history.

I use autopilot 90% of the time I’m in the car. Always paying attention, of course, but able to rest my body. No feet pressing the pedals. No hands clutching the wheel. It’s astounding what a toll that takes on the (50-year-old) body, day in and day out. I can drive 2 hours in the M3 and not feel like I was in the car at all. That's life changing!

Now, first of all, I’m no Elon/Tesla complainer/hater. I love the car so much, tech warts and all. Auto-wipers suck—don’t care. Road noise is significant—don’t care. Unresolved trim issues at purchase—don’t care. The car is just amazing. Best purchase I have ever made, without question. Second: I pay attention when I drive, and know how the Model 3 works. I have logged about 45,000 miles on autopilot. I know how to pay attention, and I know when and how to prove that to the M3.

Now for the sad part. The FSD beta was simply yanked from my car last week, with no email notice, and little to no in-car warning. If something was presented on the screen, it was small, looked like any other message, and, ironically, it must have been showing when I was driving and paying attention to the road!

I got the FSD beta a few weeks ago after a painstaking 30 days of getting a 99 safety score, despite driving in really difficult areas of Boston and the suburbs. All sorts of people hard breaking in front of me, cutting me off, etc. But I was careful, as I always am, and maintained a 99 for a month which was no small feat. I got the FSD beta and was really psyched. Unlike some of you, I didn’t read a ton about it ahead of time. No time for that with 3 younger kids and a demanding job, all seriously affected by the pandemic. So I didn’t fully understand many things about FSD except for the fact that 1) I paid many thousands of dollars for it. 2) I’ve waited two and a half years for it. And 3) it doesn’t work very well so you have to be very careful.

I used FSD the day it downloaded and was struck by how bad it was on city streets. I was really surprised. It was exciting to see it trying to do things it couldn't do before, but I stopped using it. I pretty much only double-tap the gear stalk on major roads, and after that first bad experience, didn’t try it again for a week or so on city streets. The next time I tried it, in hindsight, I noticed extensive nags about paying attention. I was confused because I *was* paying attention. But I guess I did change audio sources, change A/C temps., etc. This is par for the course with standard AP and I never had an issue.

Then last week, I was on a back road. No one around me. I was changing the radio stations during a morning commute and then I had to change my navigation destination. I simply clicked on navigation and switched destinations to one of my preset favorites. AP freaked out and disengaged. And then I saw the message. I was booted from the beta.

Kicked-Out.jpeg

Then ensued tons of reading. I discovered that I was doing it wrong. I should have turned off FSD during my normal commutes and ONLY used it when I wanted to “test” it and pay 100% full attention to the road without even changing the radio station. But I didn’t know. And now after 2.5 years, thousands of dollars, 45,000 miles of safe AP driving, and 30 days of excruciatingly safe Safety-Score driving, I’ve lost what I only had for a few drives, and may never get it back. Man, that SUCKS!

Now a couple of questions for those of you more in the know than me.

1) Does anyone know if I will get FSD beta access back? When?
2) If I email Tesla and officially back out of the beta, will I get my old less-nagging AP back?
3) Can I then re-apply for the beta and go through another safety score test and get FSD back?

So frustrating not knowing the answers to these questions. Of course I called Tesla and the guy on the phone was useless. I do have service scheduled next week and will ask, but I’m pretty sure they won’t know anything either.

For those of you with FSD beta access right now, be careful, and learn from my mistakes!

I have FSD and rarely test it / use it. The biggest problem I see with the FSD beta *right now* is it requires you as the driver to drive safely *as defined by Tesla*. In many cases that is not in alignment with the way people actually drive.

As an example, I normally drive closer to the curb than the centerline when in the right- hand lane. Tesla apparently hates that and wants the car just off the centerl8ne, leaving lots of space on the right-hand side. Neither is necessarily wrong, but having driven the way I do for almost fifty years, it’s unnerving sometimes when the Tesla hangs on the centerline.

Best of luck to you - based on the message it sure seems like you’ll be gett8ng FSD back with the next release/update.

I'd be ok with the car hugging more to the center IF the car moved to the right way in advance of an approaching car. Right now, it barely moves over, and when it does, the other car already think I'm playing chicken with them.

The other problem is that if you hit a T intersection, you car is sometimes blocking people from turning onto the street you're on.

These are not just preferences; they are problems that need to be corrected.

Reactions: NikolaACDC
I'd be ok with the car hugging more to the center IF the car moved to the right way in advance of an approaching car. Right now, it barely moves over, and when it does, the other car already think I'm playing chicken with them.

The other problem is that if you hit a T intersection, you car is sometimes blocking people from turning onto the street you're on.

These are not just preferences; they are problems that need to be corrected.
I have had FAD-b for some time now and have the latest version. Honestly- I won’t use it unless the roads are empty. It’s not even close to getting to a smooth safe level. I also feel that the they have sort of reached the level of improvements they can achieve with the camera based system and navigation combo. I do enjoy the highway driving and lane change feature. At some point in the near future we will hear that they add something new to make the leap over to the next level of FSD capability. With the current camera system, and google map navigation system I doubt the AI can bring the level of driving to a normal safe level. Those who don’t have it aren’t missing anything. I wish I hadn’t added that extra $10K. But got lured by the promise. They almost made you feel that yup the progress is rapid and it will reach a stage of autonomy on city or off-highway road pretty soon. The way it drives now hahahaha It ain’t even near confidence/safe

Hi everyone, apologies for the long post, but I feel like my M3 investment deserves this airing! I’m not a super-frequent visitor here, but have read many threads over the 2.5 years I’ve had my beloved Dual Motor Model 3. I’m posting today to explain how I was unceremoniously booted from the FSD beta program last week. But before I get into that, a little background.

First and foremost: I love my M3. It has changed my life. I previously had a Subaru Forrester. I’m a consultant and drive about 1-2 hours per day, going to various client sites. For a couple years leading up to the M3 purchase, my body, and particularly my back, would be *hurting* after longer drives in the Forrester. I was honestly asking myself how I was going to keep going with my career, with the aches and pains that driving was causing me. Then I looked into a Model 3. And the rest is history.

I use autopilot 90% of the time I’m in the car. Always paying attention, of course, but able to rest my body. No feet pressing the pedals. No hands clutching the wheel. It’s astounding what a toll that takes on the (50-year-old) body, day in and day out. I can drive 2 hours in the M3 and not feel like I was in the car at all. That's life changing!

Now, first of all, I’m no Elon/Tesla complainer/hater. I love the car so much, tech warts and all. Auto-wipers suck—don’t care. Road noise is significant—don’t care. Unresolved trim issues at purchase—don’t care. The car is just amazing. Best purchase I have ever made, without question. Second: I pay attention when I drive, and know how the Model 3 works. I have logged about 45,000 miles on autopilot. I know how to pay attention, and I know when and how to prove that to the M3.

Now for the sad part. The FSD beta was simply yanked from my car last week, with no email notice, and little to no in-car warning. If something was presented on the screen, it was small, looked like any other message, and, ironically, it must have been showing when I was driving and paying attention to the road!

I got the FSD beta a few weeks ago after a painstaking 30 days of getting a 99 safety score, despite driving in really difficult areas of Boston and the suburbs. All sorts of people hard breaking in front of me, cutting me off, etc. But I was careful, as I always am, and maintained a 99 for a month which was no small feat. I got the FSD beta and was really psyched. Unlike some of you, I didn’t read a ton about it ahead of time. No time for that with 3 younger kids and a demanding job, all seriously affected by the pandemic. So I didn’t fully understand many things about FSD except for the fact that 1) I paid many thousands of dollars for it. 2) I’ve waited two and a half years for it. And 3) it doesn’t work very well so you have to be very careful.

I used FSD the day it downloaded and was struck by how bad it was on city streets. I was really surprised. It was exciting to see it trying to do things it couldn't do before, but I stopped using it. I pretty much only double-tap the gear stalk on major roads, and after that first bad experience, didn’t try it again for a week or so on city streets. The next time I tried it, in hindsight, I noticed extensive nags about paying attention. I was confused because I *was* paying attention. But I guess I did change audio sources, change A/C temps., etc. This is par for the course with standard AP and I never had an issue.

Then last week, I was on a back road. No one around me. I was changing the radio stations during a morning commute and then I had to change my navigation destination. I simply clicked on navigation and switched destinations to one of my preset favorites. AP freaked out and disengaged. And then I saw the message. I was booted from the beta.

View attachment 741416

Then ensued tons of reading. I discovered that I was doing it wrong. I should have turned off FSD during my normal commutes and ONLY used it when I wanted to “test” it and pay 100% full attention to the road without even changing the radio station. But I didn’t know. And now after 2.5 years, thousands of dollars, 45,000 miles of safe AP driving, and 30 days of excruciatingly safe Safety-Score driving, I’ve lost what I only had for a few drives, and may never get it back. Man, that SUCKS!

Now a couple of questions for those of you more in the know than me.

1) Does anyone know if I will get FSD beta access back? When?
2) If I email Tesla and officially back out of the beta, will I get my old less-nagging AP back?
3) Can I then re-apply for the beta and go through another safety score test and get FSD back?

So frustrating not knowing the answers to these questions. Of course I called Tesla and the guy on the phone was useless. I do have service scheduled next week and will ask, but I’m pretty sure they won’t know anything either.

For those of you with FSD beta access right now, be careful, and learn from my mistakes!
Yeah yeah yeah! My heart bleeds for you. I paid $10,000 for my full self driving and have not been able to use it. I also drive in difficult areas. I drive a fire engine for a career and have logged over 20 years of driving for the fire service without incident. Yet I am unable to get beta because my score is not 99 or above. Real life driving means you sometimes have to swerve and break more aggressively than normal to avoid other drivers on the road.Not to mention the crazy aggressive breaking from the car when it is on auto pilot. Stopping at random places for no apparent reason. I would absolutely warn anybody purchasing a Tesla to avoid the full self driving. It is not going to be a reality. The quality of the roads in the United States will not enable full self driving because the vehicle relies 100% on visual indicators. The quality of Road across the United States to enable this is insufficient. Lane markings lines disappear and are faded across the country. All the full self driving is doing is lining Tesla‘s pockets.

Yeah yeah yeah! My heart bleeds for you. I paid $10,000 for my full self driving and have not been able to use it.

Sure you have.

FSD for $10,000 is a list of 7 specific features.

6 of which have been delivered fleet-wide for a couple of years now.

Only the last one, city streets, is in narrow-release beta.

Yet I am unable to get beta because my score is not 99 or above

Access to the beta is not one of the features promised with your $10,000 purchase. It's testing Tesla is doing with specific selection criteria, only one of which is "paid for the final FSD product"

.Not to mention the crazy aggressive breaking from the car when it is on auto pilot.

Braking while on AP does not count against your safety score. Nothing it does while on AP counts against you (other than strikeouts)

I would absolutely warn anybody purchasing a Tesla to avoid the full self driving. It is not going to be a reality. The quality of the roads in the United States will not enable full self driving because the vehicle relies 100% on visual indicators.

Know what else also relies on visual indicators? Humans.

Humans drive with 2 cameras. The car has 8.

Lane markings lines disappear and are faded across the country.

There's no shortage of video of folks in the beta driving on roads with no lines whatsoever just fine though.

All the full self driving is doing is lining Tesla‘s pockets.

The only revenue Tesla is allowed, legally, to realize from the $ collected for FSD is for the delivered features.

The remaining amount is on their books as a liability until such time as they deliver the rest of it.

So this idea of yours does not hold up well to basic accounting rules.

Glad to report that FSD has been re-activated!

Yesterday I was pushed V11 production build, and today I was pushed 10.9 Beta.

It took bit of waiting and playing the safety score game, but all is good now.
Well after 2 weeks with FSD beta I cannot turn on its features.

I have tried main contactor disconnect, camera recalibration, wheel and tire change, as well as deselecting all the FSD options, driving a bit, then re-enabling them.

I still can use AP up to 90 mph, but the driver camera monitoring does not work. I can still report FSD issues, with the camera icon but I cannot engage FSD.

I really have no idea where I go from here. I had been stuck on 10.2 production build after my FSD computer was replaced. That lasted about 2 weeks before I got the 10.9 FSD beta build. I have not had the FSD 10.9 build for 2 weeks but in all that time, I cannot enable FSD.

I hope that when the next FSD beta software is pushed, this problem will be fixed, but I don't have any reason to believe that to be true.

I can tell from all of this that my $10,000 spent for “FSD Fairy Tale” in Jan 2020 is still a puff of smoke. I’m actually amazed at the level of tolerance of s**t here. Just the regular autopilot + nav on auto on the freeway is dodgy. Forget it if people are passing you on the right when it’s time to transition to another freeway via a right exit. Forget it when it takes you right into the ‘death box’ between a line of semis and the center barrier with no way out ahead (cars ahead same speed as the trucks). Why even use it if you have to wiggle the steering wheel every time it wants to change lanes, only to have it do the maneuver more roughly and crudely than you would by hand? I could go on. “Apply pressure to the wheel”, “BEEBEEBEEBEE Park Assist Not Available” while driving on the freeway, it’s awful compared to what I was naively expecting. I do love my car (2020 X) but the AP and FSD Dream are huge disappointments. I don’t understand the tolerance levels here.

@Knightshade I respectfully disagree. The FSD option promised more than autopilot. And the level of safety and performance for the 6 delivered capabilities is a matter of opinion. You’re entitled to yours. Me? As long as I have to wiggle the wheel or keep pressure on it, it’s not “auto”, it’s “assisted manual” and that’s not what I expected.

Ahhhh now I feel a bit better:)

Last edited:
@Knightshade I respectfully disagree. The FSD option promised more than autopilot. And the level of safety and performance for the 6 delivered capabilities is a matter of opinion. You’re entitled to yours. Me? As long as I have to wiggle the wheel or keep pressure on it, it’s not “auto”, it’s “assisted manual” and that’s not what I expected.

That's weird, because in 2020 when you bought, you were explicitly told all features were assisted manual features requiring human supervision.

You were promised 7 things. 6 of which you got immediately on purchase, the 7th of which is in narrow release beta testing. All are L2, just as you were told in the description of the product during purchase.

So I'm unsure why you expected something different than the thing described to you.

Reactions: gaspi101
I was suspended on 10.2. Millions emails, nothing. Finally got an update yesterday all the way to 2021.44.30.5, I guess based on the hole ATT thing they had to, but nothing was reset and I am still suspended.
No safety score either.

That's weird, because in 2020 when you bought, you were explicitly told all features were assisted manual features requiring human supervision.

You were promised 7 things. 6 of which you got immediately on purchase, the 7th of which is in narrow release beta testing. All are L2, just as you were told in the description of the product during purchase.

So I'm unsure why you expected something different than the thing described to you.
Why do you keep battling this fight?

We all know there is confusion over what we're going to get with FSD.

Why can't you simply accept that uncertainty, and acknowledge the post May 2019 people have a reasonable justification to expect more than L2 driving? You can't just dismiss everything Elon has tweeted about appreciating values, and robotaxis.

All of us bought FSD with a disclaimer that said it was L2 until validation.

All FSD owners are in the same boat so stop trying to separate us.

Humans have 5 senses including 2 high definition stereoscopic cameras with peripheral vision

So 6 less cameras than the car has (also 12 less ultrasonic ones, though they're not super useful at higher speeds)

If you can explain how your sense of smell aids your driving significantly though I'll overlook how bad the math in your argument is :)

Why do you keep battling this fight?

Because it's not at all complicated yet somehow people (often the exact same couple of people who've had it explained to them over and over) keep pretending they are "confused" about it.

Why can't you simply accept that uncertainty, and acknowledge the post May 2019 people have a reasonable justification to expect more than L2 driving?

This reads like you haven't actually paid attention to what I've said on the topic.

Which is that the only thing Tesla legally owes post 3/19 buyers is L2 city streets.

But that I 1000% expect Tesla will deliver more than that if they can successfully complete such a system with anything reasonable compatible/retrofittable with existing HW.

The 3/19 wording change was entirely to cut Teslas legal and financial liability to buyers in case they never are able to create such a >L2 system. If they CAN make one, everyone who bought FSD will get it no matter when they bought.

All FSD owners are in the same boat so stop trying to separate us.

Again this is objectively untrue.

If all Tesla can ever deliver is L2, post 3/19 buyers are owed nothing further legally.

Pre 3/19 buyers are

"what tesla legally owes"
and
"what tesla wants to provide if they can ever make it work"

are different things.

Particularly for the post 3/19 buyers, where the second is far greater than the first.

For pre 3/19 buyers that gap is far narrower (though still non zero)

Sure you have.

FSD for $10,000 is a list of 7 specific features.

6 of which have been delivered fleet-wide for a couple of years now.

Only the last one, city streets, is in narrow-release beta.

Access to the beta is not one of the features promised with your $10,000 purchase. It's testing Tesla is doing with specific selection criteria, only one of which is "paid for the final FSD product"

Braking while on AP does not count against your safety score. Nothing it does while on AP counts against you (other than strikeouts)

Know what else also relies on visual indicators? Humans.

Humans drive with 2 cameras. The car has 8.

There's no shortage of video of folks in the beta driving on roads with no lines whatsoever just fine though.

The only revenue Tesla is allowed, legally, to realize from the $ collected for FSD is for the delivered features.

The remaining amount is on their books as a liability until such time as they deliver the rest of it.

So this idea of yours does not hold up well to basic accounting rules.
Excruciating in thoroughness once again and spot on as usual.

Reactions: IronCoffee_Max
Again this is objectively untrue.

If all Tesla can ever deliver is L2, post 3/19 buyers are owed nothing further legally.

Pre 3/19 buyers are

Years from now when people are arguing over whether Tesla delivered what was owed to them I could understand rationality in this kind of argument. I would still disagree with you, but I could understand the argument to determine reimbursement if any.

But, why have that argument now?

At this juncture we have to be united, and being united means we all need to set our expectations based on how Tesla had advertised FSD from the very beginning. We both know it was advertised as an autonomous system, and this what we ALL should expect. We shouldn't play silly games with who is included in our group, and who isn't included.

Tesla/Elon never came forwards in 3/19 telling people that FSD was no longer FSD, and apologizing for how they advertised it.

Elon continued to double down on FSD.

The other point I'll bring up consumers don't always need to have a legal basis in which to argue for something they feel they are owed.

For example last week Rivian raised the pricing of their vehicles for new buyers, and people with reservations. This understandably upset a lot of reservations holders as the price hikes were super steep. On various forums I commented that the price wasn't locked in for reservations holders, and there wasn't any merit in the argument that we were owed the old pricing.

Most reservation holders felt like they were owed something, and tons of reservations were being canceled.

The next day Rivian reversed course, and promised reservation holders the old price. Now the investors are stuck with footing the bill for more expensive components due to inflation. But, its a good example of how united customers can push a company to give what they feel they're owed.

Last edited:
Excruciating in thoroughness once again and spot on as usual.

The problem with thoroughness when it comes to EAP/FSD is you'll realize really quick that Tesla makes up a lot of stuff, and there is a lot of ambiguity in how they describe features.

In the early days Tesla said one of the major differences between EAP and FSD was that FSD would use all 8 cameras, and EAP would only use 4 cameras. That never came true as it never made much logic sense to limit camera usage. Essentially that 4 versus 8 cameras was just made up. It likely seemed like a good idea until they actually got around to implementing it.

The revamp in March 2019 was to clean things up, and they did use weaker language. Like Autosteer on City Streets is pretty weak language that doesn't do a good job describing what FSD Beta does. So it leaves everyone wondering if Autosteer on City Streets is FSD Beta or a more limited version.

It also has other things that leave a new customer wondering what in the world is being offered.

If Autonomous driving isn't not promised to FSD buyers then why does the video on the order page show "The person in the drivers seat is only their for legal reasons. He is not doing anything. The car is driving itself"? In an L2 system the driver has a job so obviously it has to be something more than L2.

Then on the order page has nothing to show anything above L2, but it has this disclaimer.

"The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates."

This isn't even taking into account the things Musk has tweeted, and that has to be taken into account. He's a spokesperson for Tesla, and if he gives false promises it can be viewed as false advertisement.

What Musk has tweeted has the strongest language in terms of what FSD is supposed to bring.