Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane-splitting motorcycle stoplight drag-race dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have personally experienced this issue many times, one case in particular that was bothersome. In this case, however, the motorcyclist was not launching at all, and driving well below the speed limit. After every red light, he would slip in front of me and block me. When the light turned green, I, and other drivers, would struggle for blocks to get around this guy again, finally getting on our way (BTW, I was not being an aggressive driver at all). As soon as the next light turned red (one of many that I would have made if the motorcyclist did not block my path), he would again slip past all the cars that previously passed him, and start the whole process again.

I have no problem with motorcyclists lane splitting or making their way to the front, as long as 1) they are safe doing so, and 2) do not obstruct the flow of traffic once there. Same goes for cars! I am tried of seeing cars switch to an empty lane as they approach a red light, only to drive much slower than the cars in the lane they were previously in.

It becomes a huge effort when during rush hour sitting in traffic and autopilot is most useful you need to disengage it every 15 to 30 seconds for a motorcycle... So your saying give up the luxury of using autopilot in traffic and just use TACC?

No, I just reengage autosteer after I move over. I only move over if I see them coming with adequate timing, I'm not gonna do a last-second wheel jerk to get over and risk startling the rider.

Lane splitting ought to be illegal as it's a good way to get killed, but that said, let the motorcycle go.

No, you are poorly informed. Peer-reviewed studies show that lane spitting, when done responsibly (with a small speed difference, not when you're blasting past 45mph faster than everyone else), saves lives because it effectively eliminates being rear ended by a car as a possibility (it's one of the most common ways motorcyclists are killed by other drivers), and it reduces traffic.

Last edited:
No, you are poorly informed. Peer-reviewed studies show that lane spitting, when done responsibly (with a small speed delta), saves lives because it effectively eliminates being rear ended by a car as a possibility (it's one of the most common ways motorcyclists are killed by other drivers), and it reduces traffic.
Well, I've seen them driving between cars on the freeway. How is that safe? If the driver doesn't seen them in his blind spot and changes lanes the motorcycle is toast.

Well, I've seen them driving between cars on the freeway. How is that safe? If the driver doesn't seen them in his blind spot and changes lanes the motorcycle is toast.

I'm not saying that people can't be hurt doing it, just that it's a net benefit. The rider should not be hanging out in someone's blind spot, and should be leaving himself "outs" in case of someone doing something stupid.

Overtake a few miles per hour faster, only when there's enough room so you're not trying to pretend you're the Millennium Falcon flying through the second Death Star, and only split when you've become an experienced enough rider to pick up on the subtle cues that come with imminent lane changes.

If there’s anyone near me at the light - bike or motorcycle - I let them get away from my car a bit so that I can get around them safely if they’re slower or leave a safe following distance (eg motorcycle). No reason to endanger anyone for thrills. Plenty of opportunities to launch from other stoplights when there isn’t a motorcycle/bike near you.

I'm not saying that people can't be hurt doing it, just that it's a net benefit. The rider should not be hanging out in someone's blind spot, and should be leaving himself "outs" in case of someone doing something stupid.

Overtake a few miles per hour faster, only when there's enough room so you're not trying to pretend you're the Millennium Falcon flying through the second Death Star, and only split when you've become an experienced enough rider to pick up on the subtle cues that come with imminent lane changes.

The important thing is that it's being done where legal (California and most of the rest of the world). That way people are expecting it and both parties are following a set of rules (limited speed differentials, not past certain vehicle combinations, etc.).

People who do it around here (Chicagoland) are fools - no one is expecting it and it gives motorcyclists a bad rep. Hopefully it's legalized in states other than Cali, because it is all around better for society if lane splitting is legal.

I read that if 25% of vehicles in the U.S. were two-wheeled, traffic jams would be nearly eliminated. That didn't make sense to me until I turned it around - think if 100% of India were cars instead of the vast majority being scooters, etc. That would guarantee 24/7 gridlock!!

The important thing is that it's being done where legal (California and most of the rest of the world). That way people are expecting it and both parties are following a set of rules (limited speed differentials, not past certain vehicle combinations, etc.).

People who do it around here are fools - no one is expecting it and it gives motorcyclists a bad rep.

If doing something is going to make me safer without being less-safe for others, chances are pretty good I'm not going to worry about a law put in place by someone who's never had a real job and doesn't understand what he's doing at his current one.

20141028lanesplit.jpg

LaneSplitter.jpg

Could flip around the viewpoint too...

"I bought a motorcycle so I could lane split to the front of the line and always get to be first when the light changes.
But sometimes cars try to out accelerate me and get in my way..."

Reactions: Jay911
If doing something is going to make me safer without being less-safe for others, chances are pretty good I'm not going to worry about a law put in place by someone who's never had a real job and doesn't understand what he's doing at his current one.
That's fine with me, but don't be one of those people that complain about cars never seeing motorcycles. You put something in an unexpected place on the road and you're asking for trouble legal or not. I've known multiple riders that have gotten hurt doing completely legal and expected things on motorcycle that still weren't seen by cars. I myself have been nearly killed twice riding a bicycle perfectly legally in a bike lane (I gave that up after #2), so I have little trust of drivers in general to see anything smaller than a car. Mind you, don't think moving up to the front while everyone is stopped is a problem, Riding between moving vehicles on busy streets and freeways is a problem IMO.

Not sure why Autopilot would be an issue when you first in line at a light. You should of course let the guy on the bike go first and give him room. How fragile is you ego to think you have to launch to teach him a lesson.
Don’t be so sure. Here’s what mine did at a light this afternoon. Veered left in the middle of the intersection. Guess it’s because the road curved slightly.