TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by houstonian, Jul 7, 2018.

1. g1000x

g1000x Member

Did they have the parts there the same day you brought it in?

2. suraj1194

suraj1194 Member

Late summer 2016 car with 70k miles . Checked my eyeliner lights in the garage after reading the post . Both look fine .

3. scottycs

scottycs Member

both have failed on my late 2016 90D.

4. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Y
    yes.

5. g1000x

g1000x Member

Good to hear, my appointment is on Tuesday, hopefully they have the parts at my SC!

• Like x 1
  6. g1000x

g1000x Member

I just had an amazing mobile service experience. I had a SC appointment set for next week, but mobile service texted me and wondered if he could come out and do it at my workplace. Of course I said yes, as that would save me a ton of time. He rotated my tires and replaced the entire headlight to fix the driver side DRL. Everything is finished at no cost! Love this car and company.

• Like x 1
  7. SteelSully

SteelSully Supporting Member

No doubt! Per my last note about a month ago, I encountered this issue on my driver's side DRL while I was on a road trip to Canada and went over my 50k during that trip. :(

Thought I was going to have to pay $1000 to fix it, so I decided to not bring it in immediately. However, having my car in 'range mode' all the time was getting annoying so I decided to call the SC today to pay and get it fixed (now I have 53,900k miles).

To my surprise, when I explained what happened - and mentioned it occurred almost two months ago, my service advisor asked me if it was under warranty when it stopped working (it was, but he didn't know that). Because of this, he said it would be covered under warranty (without me even asking). Not to mention, the part is in stock and I was able to book a 8:30AM appt. for this Thursday.

From my personal experience, that's just Tesla in a nutshell - always trying to do the right thing. Quite refreshing...

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  8. Pantoot

Pantoot Member

30k miles on a July 2016. Driver's side DRL, I hadn't noticed, a friend pointed out that the left and right were uneven, so no idea when it actually burned out.

9. lee_d

lee_d New Member

I just realized that the inner corner of my driver DRL was yellowing. The very next day half of the light is out. Looking at older photos, it seems the light was yellow in the corner for a while. I submitted a service appointment and am waiting to hear if mobile service will take care of it. My closest service center is 2 hours away.

• Informative x 1
  10. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

The LED headlights are still lacking when compared to the overall ratings for the other safety areas of the Model S... Tesla can do much better. :cool:

upload_2019-2-11_19-42-25.png

11. evbeliever

evbeliever Member

May 2016 Model S owner now at 60K miles. Had to replace the DRL and headlight assembly 2 times already under warranty. Reported DRLs were burning out prior to the 50k mark but was not replaced and now at 60k miles SC is asking for payment of $2k for replacement parts and warranty. This is ridiculous - customer having to bear cost of defective parts that continue to malfunction.

I can guarantee that in a year the DRL will burn out again. Is there an option to escalate this within Tesla?

• Informative x 1
  12. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Log in to you MyTesla account and select the escalate option available under Support... :cool:

upload_2019-2-12_18-48-1.png

13. kdday

kdday Member

Just checked my Dec 16 model S with "premium" adaptive headlights and the DRL stripes look fine. No issues.