TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by houstonian, Jul 7, 2018.

1. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Concerned citizen

$2,000 each?

2. zambono

zambono Active Member

Driver side just replaced, 37k miles

3. jfoxny

jfoxny Member

Don't quote me, but, yes, I believe that's what I read on the forum somewhere.

4. selfbp

selfbp Member

I’m at 30k and I’ve had 2 sets in my car, needing a 3rd. Hoping this new set is an updated production run. Getting really tired of this.

5. Sir KITT

Sir KITT Member

2018 Model S 75D (June/18 delivery) - and I just had my passenger-side (RH) headlight replaced through Tesla service for this same issue.

Replacement part: HD/LP ASY, SAE UP-LEVEL, RH (1053571-00-D)

Suspect driver-side may fail in the future, but looks solid as of now. I'll be watching this closely.

6. OVB1

OVB1 Member

Never noticed that they were out until I saw this post..thank you! The tops of both left and right are out.

7. RayW

RayW Irritated

Schrödinger‘s lights - they’re not dead until you look

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

Interesting... I posted a photo of Range mode on with DRLs ON with a classic US Model S. What's up with that Tesla? :cool:

9. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Had one side completely fail abut a month ago, the other side went dim within a week of getting it back from service. June 2016 refresh. Both replaced, currently around 33k miles.

10. MiamiDubai

MiamiDubai Member

Scheduled an appt to take my car for my 3rd set of headlights.

Passenger side DRL is now browning out. Just had it replaced less than 5000 miles ago.

11. _jal_

_jal_ Member

Does anyone have any idea what the mode of failure is? My driver side browned out over months. Passenger side just went out *poof*. It’s gotta be wiring, right? Does water get in? It was clear the day my passenger side went out because I remember it being really hard to see the reflection in cars’ bumpers/trunks due to the brightness. So it didn’t get wet. And LEDs don’t fade to a different color when voltage gets low

12. jonnyfive

jonnyfive Member

Just bought my first Tesla this week, a CPO Late 2016 Model S P90DL. At delivery my girlfriend luckily noticed one of the DRL was out so they gave me a due bill for it. Great seeing this thread here......

13. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Concerned citizen

Good question. I was wondering why mine are still okay. My car has definitely seen a lot of wetness since I live in Portland. Maybe it has something to do with the sun and heat. My car is usually undercover since I park in a garage at home and at work. Maybe sitting in the hot sun fries them?

14. jonnyfive

jonnyfive Member

It would seem the a DRL malfunction is also the source of a humming noise when the vehicle is powered down? I noticed this in the mornings, and preconditioning is off. I'm guessing it's related to my DRL which is out.

15. RayW

RayW Irritated

I have a humming noise as well, frequently when the car appears to be asleep in the garage… at random times of the day.

So, when the Mobile Tech came to replace my most recent dead DRL we found the hum. In my car, it’s the coolant pump assy (1037327-00-G) which is #32 here: https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/60288

Not sure if it’s a problem, so we left it alone.

16. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

I have a 2017 MS. Just had my passenger running daylights replaced. Mine was burnt out half way.

Attached Files:

17. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

6A192367-B3B3-4241-BD4D-F1E06B1BBEE5.jpeg
    June 2017 model S100

Left eyebrow topside is out. I am at 76000km, almost out of warranty. I hope my other light goes out as well or at least they will replace it after warranty expires. It has been less than 2 years.

18. Juhas2610

Juhas2610 Member

2018 P100D - Just ticked over 9000km and the driver’s side DRL is no longer a uniform brightness. We are ~1600km from the SC so will have to wait until the next round of services.

Attached Files:

19. too much vtak

too much vtak what the frunk?!

I had both headlights replaced under warranty for this issue, both just before 50K miles. I’m now at 60K and the driver headlight LEDs have failed again. It’s only been 6 months so I hope Tesla will still warranty it.

20. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

What the new lights still have issues with the surround LED?!

My left side eyebrow is half out and I am at 47k miles.

Also I heard the original facelift headlamps didn’t do so well on IIHS headlamp test. Tesla made the model 3 lights much better. Did Tesla eventually made improvements on model s and x lights since? For those who got new lights, are they any better?

2017 Tesla Model S
    2018 Tesla Model 3