Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess a lot of folks are a bit naive then, I didn't think his excitement would translate into reality. I always expected changes once they started engineering for production. We'll see how much it changed when the review embargo lifts on the 30th.
Yup, two more weeks left for speculation. Get your bets in now and hope you don't have egg on your face or have to eat crow.
Screenshot_20231116_085118_Chrome.jpg

Yup, two more weeks left for speculation. Get your bets in now and hope you don't have egg on your face or have to eat crow. View attachment 991171

I mean the only people with egg on their face are the ones proclaiming it would take over the truck market after watching a propaganda video of it pulling a RWD F-150…..

I mean the only people with egg on their face are the ones proclaiming it would take over the truck market after watching a propaganda video of it pulling a RWD F-150…..
... or pretending Elon was merely talking aspirational "we will try to get there" targets when showing tri motor 500+ miles range at product unveil including price/ towing/ payload/ acceleration ....

... or pretending Elon was merely talking aspirational "we will try to get there" targets when showing tri motor 500+ miles range at product unveil including price/ towing/ payload/ acceleration ....
It wasn't a product unveil, it was a product announcement showcasing a concept vehicle.

Please show us where a concept vehicle made it through production with all the same features? (hint: there are none)

It's not like saying that at all. Both of those vehicles exist and can be directly compared. The only reason my comparison is "on paper" is that the CT does not yet exist. But as details are being leaked, the consensus is that the production CT will much closer to the Lightning than to the launch CT.

I gave acceleration credit to the CT, at least the tri-motor will for sure be quickly than the Lightning. Range is looking equivalent to the Lightning. Price of course is up in the air but I also think it will be close to the Lightning. Software? Don't make me laugh. I drive an MXP which has the most-equivalent interior to the CT. The latest software has the stupidest chimes when changing gears now. Lack of stalks is annoying. But the performance of the MXP makes me forget those things. We shall see if the good parts of the CT can overcome the bad parts. Again, there is no perfect vehicle - everything is a compromise based on how you plan to use a vehicle. But the idea that CT is going to be the "best truck evvvaahhhh" is turning out to not be the case. It will not have superior range, storage, interior room, etc.
I agree with everything you said with the exception of software. This is where Tesla shines and we really don’t know what a CT will have. I have a Lightning and believe me the software is vey poorly designed (both the app and the truck itself). It is their first attempt and using multiple third parties for software can never really be as good as a Tesla model. Ask me about how my estimated ranged literally drops from 250 miles to 88 miles when I connect my unloaded dump trailer! It's so bad the Lightning community calls it a GOM (Guess O Meter). Really destroys all faith in any range estimate and really ramps up the range anxiety. I'm pretty sure Tesla will do a much better job.

Overall pricing is meaningless to me but functionality is paramount. I'd pay $100k for a CT if it was that good (range, storage, interior room, etc). I actually can't wait to see how a CT handles towing functions. Overall (towing range aside) my Lightning does a pretty good job but I think the CT will be better.

Still I love my truck and doubt I'll bite when my CT reservation comes up.

The drive chimes changed in update 2023.38.6 to some sort if louder bubbly ping pong sound. They can not be changed with options in the car. Do a search in your car for chime. This is the results for what is configurable in a 2022 MSLR with update 2023.38.6:
View attachment 991167

My 2022 M3LR V2023.38.6:

53336467913_725063b625_z.jpg

“Gear Chimes” is definitely optional.

I agree with everything you said with the exception of software. This is where Tesla shines and we really don’t know what a CT will have. I have a Lightning and believe me the software is vey poorly designed (both the app and the truck itself). It is their first attempt and using multiple third parties for software can never really be as good as a Tesla model. Ask me about how my estimated ranged literally drops from 250 miles to 88 miles when I connect my unloaded dump trailer! It's so bad the Lightning community calls it a GOM (Guess O Meter). Really destroys all faith in any range estimate and really ramps up the range anxiety. I'm pretty sure Tesla will do a much better job.

Overall pricing is meaningless to me but functionality is paramount. I'd pay $100k for a CT if it was that good (range, storage, interior room, etc). I actually can't wait to see how a CT handles towing functions. Overall (towing range aside) my Lightning does a pretty good job but I think the CT will be better.
It's going to have the exact same software as the Refresh S/X. I appreciate you relating your direct experience. I haven't followed any X/Y towing threads to know if Tesla's are smarter about range estimations when towing. I recall that Ford made a big deal about how the truck will learn your trailer and provide accurate range estimates when towing. I guess Ford still has work to do. That being said, I doubt CT will have anything like Ford's backup assist and my wife for one could really use it. The good news for both vehicles is that those can be fixed with OTA updates.
My 2022 M3LR V2023.38.6:

53336467913_725063b625_z.jpg

“Gear Chimes” is definitely optional.
Well that is good news. Hopefully the S/X software teams will add that for us in a future release. I even have Joe Mode on and the chimes are crazy loud.

It's going to have the exact same software as the Refresh S/X. I appreciate you relating your direct experience. I haven't followed any X/Y towing threads to know if Tesla's are smarter about range estimations when towing. I recall that Ford made a big deal about how the truck will learn your trailer and provide accurate range estimates when towing. I guess Ford still has work to do. That being said, I doubt CT will have anything like Ford's backup assist and my wife for one could really use it. The good news for both vehicles is that those can be fixed with OTA updates.

Well that is good news. Hopefully the S/X software teams will add that for us in a future release. I even have Joe Mode on and the chimes are crazy loud.
It has a completely different UI with different modes as we've seen. It could have different software features as well.

Speaking of goal post, the fan boys on the act forum are now saying the CT is in its own truck category and will dominate it 🤣

Again, IMO once the scalpers have cancelled and the fanboys have their trucks this will not be a mover for Tesla
As Elon would say, you’re an idiot. You might be right if the price is crazy high, but if the specs are decent this will replace a lot of large SUVs if not pickup trucks.

I guess a lot of folks are a bit naive then, I didn't think his excitement would translate into reality. I always expected changes once they started engineering for production. We'll see how much it changed when the review embargo lifts on the 30th.
And then, maybe you will realize it’s not even close to what he bragged about, that night or on Leno’s Garage or other places.

in Jay Leno's garage he literally said that at Tesla the final car is even *better* than the prototype and they aren't like other OEMs who have cool prototypes but then the final car falls short. He also brags about the vehicle having *armor glass* in addition to bullet-resistant doors. watch the video.

If the prototype unveiled is hyped up with 500+ miles of range, 14k lbs of towing, armor-glass and teased at $69k starting.... but the final result is nowhere near 500+ miles and doesn't tow 14k lbs and doesn't have armor-glass - AND - costs substantially more than $69k... how is that the final product being better than the prototype ? At the presentation Elon didn't say "those specs are aspirational and we will give it a try but who knows if it's doable..."

Reactions: TessP100D and QUBO
Like the Model Y and Model X was supposed to replace Large SUV’s?

Delusional fanboys……
You're just making stuff up. The Model Y is definitely replacing something, but how could you expect it to replace full sized SUVs? The Model X is just too weird and expensive to compare to full sized SUVs.

As Elon would say, you’re an idiot. You might be right if the price is crazy high, but if the specs are decent this will replace a lot of large SUVs if not pickup trucks.

unless the Cybertrucks offers ~350+ miles of *realistic* range and costs under $60k... it's not going to replace large gasoline SUVs or gasoline pickup trucks.

There's plenty of nice SUVs or trucks to be had for under $60k. That's why Rivian is niche and the F150 Lightning isn't selling too well. Both are still way too $$$ for the mass market.

in Jay Leno's garage he literally said that at Tesla the final car is even *better* than the prototype and they aren't like other OEMs who have cool prototypes but then the final car falls short. He also brags about the vehicle having *armor glass* in addition to bullet-resistant doors. watch the video.

If the prototype unveiled is hyped up with 500+ miles of range, 14k lbs of towing, armor-glass and teased at $69k starting.... but the final result is nowhere near 500+ miles and doesn't tow 14k lbs and doesn't have armor-glass - AND - costs substantially more than $69k... how is that the final product being better than the prototype ? At the presentation Elon didn't say "those specs are aspirational and we will give it a try but who knows if it's doable..."
Yet, you still have no facts ... all speculation and feelings based on unverifiable information on the internet ... so much activity in fact one wonders your intentions ...

- We still don't know the range
- There may be other trims capable of towing more, we don't know yet
- We don't know what "armored glass" is, if it's a feature, etc
- It seems fairly bullet resistant, there's an official video
- It will be more expensive, everything is now
- What other features "fall short"? (hint: we don't know yet, perhaps the size?)

The constant negative posts from you and team "Debbie Downer" sure do make it seem like you guys are on somebody's payroll ... it's boring and transparent ... try posting something upbeat and uplifting for a change ...

You're just making stuff up. The Model Y is definitely replacing something, but how could you expect it to replace full sized SUVs? The Model X is just too weird and expensive to compare to full sized SUVs.

The Model X “is just too weird”

But the CT is the perfect design 🤣😂😂😂

A family will trade their SUV to get a cramped back space in the CT?

Don’t worry, your stock is safe

Looks like the goal post has moved once again, it’s not the pick up market it will take over, now it’s SUVS…. Which two Tesla SUVs have failed to do even at lower prices…. Hilarious

Yet, you still have no facts ... all speculation and feelings based on unverifiable information on the internet ... so much activity in fact one wonders your intentions ...

- We still don't know the range
- There may be other trims capable of towing more, we don't know yet
- We don't know what "armored glass" is, if it's a feature, etc
- It seems fairly bullet resistant, there's an official video
- It will be more expensive, everything is now
- What other features "fall short"? (hint: we don't know yet, perhaps the size?)

The constant negative posts from you and team "Debbie Downer" sure do make it seem like you guys are on somebody's payroll ... it's boring and transparent ... try posting something upbeat and uplifting for a change ...
The size is a big one (interior and exterior size). Sail storage, front/frunk size, ramp, seating have all changed.

But we really don't know about range, pricing, armored glass (we just know it's not BR glass, but I don't think it was ever promised to be).

It seems likely the range was reduced, but even if true, many knew that would be the likely outcome with Tesla's positioning on range which Elon has stated maybe 1,000 times "no one needs 500 miles of range" after the Plaid + cancellation...He even re-iterated it on JRE recently. Regardless of the actual merit of these statements, battery supply/density, weight, charging time all factor into that amount of range.

We just need to wait and see. The reality is that the CT is not likely going to be a leader in any category; size, space, range, etc., but if it can be very good in all areas at a decent price point, it will still be a great option. Contrary to what some think, Tesla doesn't attempt to be the best in any category outside of technology (I know that some don't believe that); range, charging speed, price, comfort, etc...but they do offer a great combination, IMO, in all of their cars.