Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why does reading a sentence explicitly about the bed of the truck, and with an arrow literally pointing to the bed itself, as if the weight capacity it lists in that sentence is...about the bed... not make logical sense?

That said- the other typo makes me think this is maybe something a dude at that specific store just had made at Kinkos or something so who knows?-- has there been any detail about if it's been seen anywhere but that one place?
Again, they wouldn't make themselves look worse intentionally, plus with the weight Elon said, many said the CT would have 2,500 lb payload max to stay in the specific classes announced.

As far as I know, it's only at the one store.

Why does reading a sentence explicitly about the bed of the truck, and with an arrow literally pointing to the bed itself, as if the weight capacity it lists in that sentence is...about the bed... not make logical sense?

That said- the other typo makes me think this is maybe something a dude at that specific store just had made at Kinkos or something so who knows?-- has there been any detail about if it's been seen anywhere but that one place?

I picked a model that not only is ABOVE 70k ASP, but sells about the same # of trucks annually that Tesla plans to sell of the CT.

I also pointed out with the tax credit a 70k CT is cheaper than the ASP of nearly every truck on the list and even without the credit not much above the ASP of the F-150 (meaning lots of F-150 buyers pay above that, to get to an average north of 66K)

So again your claim 70k is more than most truck buyers would, or could, pay is objectively untrue.

The price you originally cited making that claim was even MORE selective, since you picked a stripped down version of a truck- which as the ASP data I posted shows us is NOT what most people are actually buying.

Im going to stop by tomorrow, I have also read it might be fake.

as we're discussing in the other thread, that 2500 appears to be specifically the BED capacity-- suggesting total capacity is the originally discussed 3500 lbs (5 passengers making up the other 1k).

It could be they mean 2500 total even though the # is given in the back half of a sentence clearly and specifically about the bed (which isn't where passengers go) but that'd be a very weird way to word it.
That's not how payload is measured. The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is basically the maximum total safe weight of your vehicle, counting the curb weight (the weight of the vehicle when empty), plus the weight of your passengers, fuel, any accessories added to the vehicle, cargo, and the “tongue weight” of a tow trailer (normally 10-20% of the combined tow load and trailer weight). The 2500 is the payload capacity - not the bed capacity - there's really no such thing as bed capacity except as it relates to cubic feet of storage capacity. Since we already know that the GVWR is between 8000-9000 or 9000-10000 from the NHTSA filings - and we know that Musk has already indicated the CT variants weigh between 6700-6900lbs - if we run the calculations assuming the dual motor is 6700lbs with a GVWR maximum of 9000lbs - that's 2300lbs payload. If we assume the trimotor is 6900lbs and has a maximum GVWR of 10000lbs then that's 3100lbs of payload capacity. Of course - we'll all knows in ten days - but if we're to believe the rumors of a 2500lb payload - then actual GVWR would be 6700+2500=8200lbs/6900+2500=8400 lbs. That doesn't get us to 9000-10000lbs GVWR as in the NHTSA filings - so we're either missing something - or perhaps the variant that may offer a higher GVWR may not be announced on 11/30.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLRifleman
I went and saw it.

Screenshot 2023-11-20 153817.png

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
That's not how payload is measured. The standardized calculation is simply GVWR minus the actual weight of the vehicle without any cargo or anything else in it. The 2500 is the payload capacity - not the bed capacity - there's really no such thing as bed capacity except as it relates to cubic feet of storage capacity. Since we already know that the GVWR is between 8000-9000 or 9000-10000 from the NHTSA filings - and we know that Musk has already indicated the CT variants weigh between 6700-6900lbs - if we run the calculations assuming the dual motor is 6700lbs with a GVWR maximum of 9000lbs - that's 2300lbs payload. If we assume the trimotor is 6900lbs and has a maximum GVWR of 10000lbs then that's 3100lbs of payload capacity. Of course - we'll all knows in ten days - but if we're to believe the rumors of a 2500lb payload - then actual GVWR would be 6700+2500=8200lbs/6900+2500=8400 lbs. That doesn't get us to 9000-10000lbs GVWR as in the NHTSA filings - so we're either missing something - or perhaps the variant that may offer a higher GVWR may not be announced on 11/30.

Perfect explanation and what we were taught on our course.

Reactions: HitchHiker71

I picked a model that not only is ABOVE 70k ASP, but sells about the same # of trucks annually that Tesla plans to sell of the CT.

I also pointed out with the tax credit a 70k CT is cheaper than the ASP of nearly every truck on the list and even without the credit not much above the ASP of the F-150 (meaning lots of F-150 buyers pay above that, to get to an average north of 66K)

So again your claim 70k is more than most truck buyers would, or could, pay is objectively untrue.

The price you originally cited making that claim was even MORE selective, since you picked a stripped down version of a truck- which as the ASP data I posted shows us is NOT what most people are actually buying.
went back to the link you provided and it clearly states under the comparison chart of average prices:

"It’s worth noting that Ram’s ATP figures refer to the 1500 model only, thus excluding the heavy-duty variants."

so yeah... your average sales price figures *include* heavy-duty variants for all manufacturers except for RAM
That's why it's called F-Series and not F-150.

obviously adding V8 Diesel Super Duty trucks which can go for north of $100k to the mix skews the numbers much much higher. But the Cybertruck isn't competing with those.

Never equate anything produced for marketing purposes with actual engineering LOL. That's a marketing poster without a doubt - it has nothing to do with actual GVWR calculation. It's meant to help sell the product, nothing more. If anything - this marketing shows us something about the intended audience for this vehicle - which isn't to sell to knowledgeable pickup buyers who already know how to calculate GVWR and how to calculate tongue weights for towing purposes as it relates to not exceeding GVWR maximums.

It’s sharp. Like a knife.

285/65R20 - probably not news.

Front upper steering knuckle seems “a bit tight” if you were inclined to put on bigger tires without changing offset.

I can’t tell if the bottom is armored. There are lines of bolts longitudinally, so maybe?
Hopefully, otherwise people will have a sad.

That’s it. Seemed big but I am not accustomed to trucks. I did not bring my tape measure.

Lots of fingerprints and scratches. When they let people touch these things in the mall, it is going to be a mess!

No idea what is plastic and what is steel (underneath and on bumpers and such).

Virtually nothing underneath is exposed; lots of shrouds.

I assume the first big bump the truck hits will pop the wheel cover off, but maybe it just flexes?

IMG_9468.jpeg
IMG_9453.jpeg

IMG_9462.jpeg

Last edited:
That's not how payload is measured. The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is basically the maximum total safe weight of your vehicle, counting the curb weight (the weight of the vehicle when empty), plus the weight of your passengers, fuel, any accessories added to the vehicle, cargo, and the “tongue weight” of a tow trailer (normally 10-20% of the combined tow load and trailer weight). The 2500 is the payload capacity - not the bed capacity - there's really no such thing as bed capacity except as it relates to cubic feet of storage capacity. Since we already know that the GVWR is between 8000-9000 or 9000-10000 from the NHTSA filings - and we know that Musk has already indicated the CT variants weigh between 6700-6900lbs - if we run the calculations assuming the dual motor is 6700lbs with a GVWR maximum of 9000lbs - that's 2300lbs payload. If we assume the trimotor is 6900lbs and has a maximum GVWR of 10000lbs then that's 3100lbs of payload capacity. Of course - we'll all knows in ten days - but if we're to believe the rumors of a 2500lb payload - then actual GVWR would be 6700+2500=8200lbs/6900+2500=8400 lbs. That doesn't get us to 9000-10000lbs GVWR as in the NHTSA filings - so we're either missing something - or perhaps the variant that may offer a higher GVWR may not be announced on 11/30.
Well, it is a Tesla...
SmartSelect_20231120_183814_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20231120_183738_Firefox.jpg

See also the 2021 Ridgeline:
SmartSelect_20231120_184655_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

The part that says payload. That’s a pretty standard definition.

People keep saying that, but "what most people use" doesn't mean "what everyone uses"- see the Honda example.

That's not how payload is measured.

You sure?

As Mongo points out, other truck makers call out a load limit just for the bed as well, because passengers aren't intended for the bed.

So the bed specifically has a cargo limit, and it's lower than the TOTAL vehicle one that includes passengers.

The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is basically the maximum total safe weight of your vehicle, counting the curb weight (the weight of the vehicle when empty), plus the weight of your passengers, fuel, any accessories added to the vehicle, cargo, and the “tongue weight” of a tow trailer (normally 10-20% of the combined tow load and trailer weight).

On this we agree.

The 2500 is the payload capacity - not the bed capacity - there's really no such thing as bed capacity

Except there is and other car companies appear to call it out for the bed specifically as Mongo helpfully pointed out.

The ridgeline appears to have a maximum payload capacity of 1,583 pounds, but only 1100 lb BED load capacity.

So only about 2/3rds of the total payload can be in the bed.

Not horribly far off from if only 2500 of a 3500 total payload of a CT can be in the bed eh?

As you say we should know in 10 days (unless they go Semi "delivery event" and don't tell anybody the full specs even then I guess).

I'm going to say the Bed capacity will be around 1500 pounds.

Are you suggesting the dude who gave us exosekelton isn't accurate???

If the Cybertruck has a 3500 lb payload capacity that would only be around 600lb less than a Ford Super Duty F 350.

Tesla said:
With up to 3,500 pounds of payload capacity and adjustable air suspension, Cybertruck is the most powerful tool we have ever built, engineered with 100 cubic feet of exterior, lockable storage — including a magic tonneau cover that is strong enough to stand on.

That's at tesla.com. Right now. And matches the 2019 reveal specs given back then.

I mean maybe the reveal was wrong, and tesla.com was never updated to fix it, and the 2500 bed/1000 cabin thing is also wrong.

Or maybe not.

We'll know in 10 days.

Are you suggesting the dude who gave us exosekelton isn't accurate???

That's at tesla.com. Right now. And matches the 2019 reveal specs given back then.

I mean maybe the reveal was wrong, and tesla.com was never updated to fix it, and the 2500 bed/1000 cabin thing is also wrong.

Or maybe not.

We'll know in 10 days.
The reveal page is less credible than Elon's timelines.