Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of confirmed Australian Orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tim
Just to note my car finished production a few days after going into production. Has been in transit since then. Still awaiting confirmation of the container/vessel allocation from James. Certainly takes a while. The LA strike has obviously a major issue may even have impacted the US economy.
When was the last known delivery to Melbourne?

The price rise is bad news for all of us.

I totally agree.

At some point these rises will have to choke demand. This time there was some very accurate intel that this rise was imminent, and no doubt a lucky few will have saved themselves a significant sum. Like many others I was caught unaware of the impending rise in late 2014/early 2015. That rise adjusted my eventual purchase by $5500 but caused a serious 'pause for thought'. This rise would have added another $7000 to the same car and would have taken the dream well beyond the point of justification.

I just hope demand remains robust enough for Tesla to maintain their investment and therefore their infrastructure plans.

Time will tell.

I totally agree.

At some point these rises will have to choke demand. This time there was some very accurate intel that this rise was imminent, and no doubt a lucky few will have saved themselves a significant sum. Like many others I was caught unaware of the impending rise in late 2014/early 2015. That rise adjusted my eventual purchase by $5500 but caused a serious 'pause for thought'. This rise would have added another $7000 to the same car and would have taken the dream well beyond the point of justification.

I just hope demand remains robust enough for Tesla to maintain their investment and therefore their infrastructure plans.

Time will tell.

Yes after the same initial pause for thought when I got caught by the first price rise I'm now glad I ordered when I did. Even though my model is now discontinued it would cost me almost $20k more today than I paid to order a car with the same features as mine. Of course I'd get supercharging, an extra motor and slightly bigger battery 'thrown in' for that, but most likely that entry level would have pushed me out of the market. Compared to the initial prices in late 2014 it would be closer to a $26k difference. At least it's all pretty transparent which is a huge improvement on the 'what we can get away with' pricing of cars in Australia from everyone else.

Time will tell.

Dear RBR,

Has it occurred to you that if demand continues to skyrocket in Australia, there would be NO NEED for Tesla, financially, to build the SuperCharger network? Take China for example. Demand is much less than expected - and so Tesla's response is to litter China with SuperChargers all over the place.

We need a little Asian thinking down here methinks... Looking at the world map of SuperChargers, Australia is the forgotten zone.

I mean I accept that Tesla will, eventually, do as it says - build the networks along the east coast. But anything more than that, including the speed by which said rollout is to occur, needs a touch of the Oriental to motivate them. So put the prices up I say! Reduce demand enough to make them wonder why. And if it doesn't reduce demand, then more money to build the network. Win win.

It's just the late-buyer of the Tesla who is the Loser - as I was when I purchased in Feb 2015 even though I resolved to purchase in November 2014. Contracted to pay thousands more. But saved on the last two price hikes.

Last edited:
It's interesting to note (since I went and checked) that they're actually getting further away from the 'exchange rate + local taxes' pricing model. The current pricing would imply a US70c AUD so they're either being very pessimistic about the short term state of our currency or starting to gouge a bit, which would be disappointing. On exchange rate alone the base price of a 70D should be under $100k (US$75k).

It's interesting to note (since I went and checked) that they're actually getting further away from the 'exchange rate + local taxes' pricing model. The current pricing would imply a US70c AUD so they're either being very pessimistic about the short term state of our currency or starting to gouge a bit, which would be disappointing. On exchange rate alone the base price of a 70D should be under $100k (US$75k).

There would be a freight cost of a couple of gran though...

Fellow owners and potential owners

this is not at all complicated. It is simply exchange rate and the large drop in the value of the AUD. I purchased 1Dec before the end of the year tesla price increase, which was very predictable then, just as it was this time. The Australian economy is a mess and the AUD will continue to drop (watch this coming Tuesday)

Unlike BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Ferrari, etc. tesla is not gouging on price. Musk believes in world wide parity pricing.

At an exchange rate of $0.77, my price on 1 Dec is EXACTLY the same as USD in California, tax included

the Tesla is NOT cheap but very fairly priced

can't wait for my P85D and I will order a model 3 in addition in a few years

and super chargers ARE coming

- - - Updated - - -

One minor comment

the U.S. Pricing does not include local state taxes (10% or so), but Aussie pricing
does include all taxes. You need to add 10% to U.S. Numbers to be able to compare

Don't forget to subtract 10% GST from the Australian price to compare it to the tax free prices on the US site.

Actually that is true, I forgot they included GST in the base price (unlike all the other local taxes which are added on in the right hand pane). So I take it all back, they're pretty close to equivalency (within a couple of thousand).

I agree with that - and it is very obvious too the mark-up that dealers like BMW flog the Aussie market with. Tesla is indeed very reasonable like that. I would say that the falling Aussie dollar is behind it all. Which is rather sad for Tesla too because:

1) They are only getting the same US dollars that they are wanting; and
2) If there is a change in market against them, the customer may cancel the order or ask to have the car re-made under the more favourable price structure....

Either way, Tesla is clearly not gauging the market or profiteering. I think that is obvious.

Now if only their Aussie assembly lines were quicker!

For the person who asked me a couple days ago, since my Tesla is now in Sydney and delivers in 10-14 days time I have sorted out all the particulars in advance. Basically Tesla sends you the final invoice about 3 weeks from delivery. <y finance company (stratton as the agent for bmw finance) have received the invoice already and will pay them the day before I go to pick it up. I will also pay an additional deposit a couple of days before so they also have this on the day.

My personalised plates I have checked in at chatswood and Tesla will pick them up and put them on my car. That's about it basically, fairly easy so I'm confident all should be well for the day of pickup!

P.S. Has anyone heard about the 76 Black Teslas ordered by Sydney Premier Cabs? I read an article in SMH the other day. Should we put them on the list! ;) Statistically I was excited there isn't that many black teslas on our list however my black Tesla is going to blend in quite nicely with those Taxis.. I'm almost considering a new side business and a shiny new taxi driver uniform to go with it!

76 Black Teslas ordered by Sydney Premier Cabs? I read an article in SMH the other day.

Can't find the article, but interesting. Zero emissions is good of course, but an obvious possible driver for the decision is possibly lower maintenance, and free electricity from superchargers. If all 76 want to recharge several times a day it will swamp the small number of SCs we have, and possibly force Tesla to rethink the model and exclude commercial vehicles from free charging forever (if they haven't already).

Wonder how it works in Amsterdam since currently Schiphol airport has the largest Tesla taxi fleet anywhere.
I agree though, if taxis can use superchargers, we won't get a look in.
By the way, nothing on Premiers web site about this, but that does not mean anything.

Last edited: