Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loosing maps / satellite imagery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noted that within minutes of crossing the Serbian border I lost all maps etc and put it down to the Tesla roaming agreement not covering Serbia. The fact that everything quickly restored as we approached the Hungarian border seemed to support the idea.
Is it only Serbia that's not covered by the Tesla roaming agreement? In Serbia at the moment and maps are at the most basic, maybe whatever was loaded/cached while in Croatia. It's also quite annoying that we've lost app control of the car. We're heading south soon. I assume Macedonia also doesn't have a connectivity agreement. Is there one for Greece?

Mine does the same. The grey tiles even happen on wifi when you move the map to a new area. It takes ages to actually load the content. It used to be instant. I suspect what someone needs to do is to understand how selling a ton more cars is going to increase bandwidth required by google and pony up for more.

In the early days of google maps some of their web maps would load with bits missing and give the same grey tile look.

This appears to be a UK issue only.

When driving from Scotland to England I lost the map tiles 3 times. Not once when driving through the Netherlands, Germany, Denmark or Norway.

I reported this to Tesla and spoke to a technician on 21 March 23 so it's frustrating that it's still not resolved.

I assume the cause is local to the UK mobile networks which reflects the level of priority assigned to this issue.

When driving from Scotland to England I lost the map tiles 3 times. Not once when driving through the Netherlands, Germany, Denmark or Norway.

I reported this to Tesla and spoke to a technician on 21 March 23 so it's frustrating that it's still not resolved.

I assume the cause is local to the UK mobile networks which reflects the level of priority assigned to this issue.
Still see this on occasions. I agree with your view on what the issue is. It's my wife's car and she's not bothered with Premium Connectivity which just means we hotspot to phone when we want to use things like Apple Music. When we have this map issue, if we hotspot the cars WiFi to a phone it pretty quickly loads the maps back.

I still think they need a better approach so it can work when mobile signal fails though. As well of course as resolving whatever the issue is in the UK with their mobile network provider.

Not just UK. Early June I had this when driving back through Belgium towards France.

No. I've had it in Belgium, Holland and Germany.

I’ve only had it in Europe when crossing the border, as the SIM card reconnects to the new countries network.

It took over 25 minutes when I crossed into the Netherlands from Germany on a recent trip.

Strangely I rarely have this issue even in the UK, but I mainly drive around London where the 4G signal is always very strong.

Not just UK. Early June I had this when driving back through Belgium towards France.

Where the map tiles won't return until the MCU is reset or the car is left to sleep? If so, I must have just been fortunate so far.

The map tiles on my trip have often gone black, but do return when in an area with a signal. Zooming and panning is a pretty awful experience though, takes a long time for the tiles to render.