Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR RWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. Fortunately I have 2 cars to drive, 1 pure electric (limited range) and 1 gas guzzler. Been saving up and am pretty much ready but just waiting for the best deal possible in line with my ideal configuration. I plan on keeping whatever 3 I get for a while

Today is August 1st, so if a used 3 is at this price right now they should be even lower in a few months. I don't really care for FSD since we'll all be driving our cars for a while, but base Autopilot is wonderful to have in the meantime

wMtfdWp.png

The left photo is the only thing stopping me. That ultra white is special. In black interior, I would swap out the wood dash for the black alcantara dash. But then, white still exists....
Yea, I figure I'll probably wait until the end of the quarter (September) at the very latest in the hopes that some deals surface for the push. Although, seeing as there is no tax credit reduction until end of the year we may not see any huge cuts. My most fiscally responsible self says to wait until the end of the year but I want to fit some late summer and fall roadtrips in, so idk if I'll make it.

I love the white interior but don't think I could own it myself. I feel like i'd be concerned with getting it dirty all the time. I actually don't mind the wood dash but have never seen one with black alcantara, which sounds pretty.... sweet. Who sells that?

Reactions: Mr X
Yea, I figure I'll probably wait until the end of the quarter (September) at the very latest in the hopes that some deals surface for the push. Although, seeing as there is no tax credit reduction until end of the year we may not see any huge cuts. My most fiscally responsible self says to wait until the end of the year but I want to fit some late summer and fall roadtrips in, so idk if I'll make it.

I love the white interior but don't think I could own it myself. I feel like i'd be concerned with getting it dirty all the time. I actually don't mind the wood dash but have never seen one with black alcantara, which sounds pretty.... sweet. Who sells that?

RPM Tesla sells it. Matches perfectly with the door inserts and gives a true premium interior feel with all the fuzzies. Looks really good

cCGVJB4.jpg

The white is pretty easy to keep clean. One guy on youtube cleans his white interior exclusively with black coffee lol

And ya, I wouldn't mind the taking part of the 5,000 free supercharging miles referral if they bring that back come end of Q3

I'm not sure if you're thinking of going all the way to a full AWD or if you'll step down to a SR+ if you can't find any deals... but I know I've seen you mention the WA EV Sales Tax Exemption on here before... a lot of people don't expect it to be very popular with that $45k price limit.... BUT, the goal is for 50k EV's by 2020. I don't know if there is a pot of money that runs out at 50k or if that's just a target... but it might be good to note that WA is at 42,542 plug in vehicles as of Dec 2018. I wouldn't be surprised if we pass 50k before the end of the year. Model 3 sales seem pretty good in WA and while the Bolt isn't great (compared to the Model 3), I've been seeing Seattle listings dropping as low as $26k to $28k. When you add the Fed credit AND the WA exemption onto that, I could see them flying off dealer lots since they would make a fantastic second car or just to school/work type car. You would only pay about $300 tax on a $28k Bolt in the Seattle area and would still get the fed credit to help lower that even more...

That dash liner looks nice ; though I would buy that if going with the White Interior. Love how the white interior makes the cabin feel so open but absolutely hate that bizarre plastic white dash strip which is also reported to cause glare issues. This solution looks like it would work well!
On the black interior I do not mind the wood liner that comes standard.

yes. my boys keep on asking me to punch it. my oldest keep going "i hate it, but i love it"

Enjoy the car and the P3D. Punching it on my LR RWD doesn't feel fast anymore after 6 weeks and 3500 miles.

The P3D has a lotore punch with that 3 second range 0-60

aww man. i feel bad. you should have unwatched this a long time ago. lol

i am happy that this ordeal is over and i can enjoy the car.

So weird. I've been keeping my eyes on LR RWD Used Model 3's on Tesla's site. A few weeks ago I was seeing them for high 30s / low 40s. Now the lowest price I'm seeing is $45K, with the model I'm most interested in (blue, 19" Sport tires) at $46,500 (10K miles), which is only $600 less than a blue AWD with 18" wheels (1000 miles). And if you price that against a new LR AWD with the current California incentives, the used ones hardly seem worth it at the moment. What's going on? Why is the differential so small between RWD and AWD cars?

Were the discounts we were seeing simply end of quarter specials?

I FINALLY have my CA ownership, so now I can trade in my A3 e-tron when I find a good deal.

Last edited:
So weird. I've been keeping my eyes on LR RWD Used Model 3's on Tesla's site. A few weeks ago I was seeing them for high 30s / low 40s. Now the lowest price I'm seeing is $45K, with the model I'm most interested in (blue, 19" Sport tires) at $46,500 (10K miles), which is only $600 less than a blue AWD with 18" wheels (1000 miles). And if you price that against a new LR AWD with the current California incentives, the used ones hardly seem worth it at the moment. What's going on? Why is the differential so small between RWD and AWD cars?

Were the discounts we were seeing simply end of quarter discounts?

I FINALLY have my CA ownership, so now I can trade in my A3 e-tron when I find a good deal.

I noticed that as well. This seems to happen when the availability of an alternative option goes away. The LR RWD is no longer available new so that scarcity has caused the difference on the used market between it and the AWD option to be compressed since it is relatively cheaper. There is no cheaper LR alternative if buying new so the used RWD models can come up in price and still seem like a bargain to some buyers.

This seemed to happen with used Model S as well. I remember a couple of months ago when there seemed to be lots of options around the $30k mark and with the newer standard range options being eliminated it seems like the used market for the cheaper models has gone up closer to the $40k mark.

I totally agree that used models do not seem like a bargain to me even though I had considered looking at them initially.

You may be right. I sort of stoped watching the used cars, as without my US pink slip, I was just cursing at my inability to actually move on the great deals I was seeing. But now a new AWD seems like the best deal if you can actually reap the whole $1875 federal tax credit. Personally I still don't get why the LR RWD went away in the first place. If you don't need AWD for performance or winter conditions, but want the best range, it seems a bit nuts to remove this great middle tier.

That is such a bad deal. Tesla prices it this way because there will be those willing to pay for it and there there are those who can not take advantage of the tax incentives or state and local rebates or can't afford the extra it would take to get into an AWD.

New LR RWD Pricing

New LR RWD Blue 19" = 45,900 + 1,000 + 1500 + 1200 = $48,400. Tesla wants $46500 for that used one. a savings of only $3100. However, there is no fed tax incentive to be claimed on this as well whatever illegible state rebates and it doesn't account for the reprice depreciation.

Teslas's Reprice Depreciation

Recall that LR RWD started at 45,900. The LR AWD started at 49,900 and was repriced to 47,990, a price depreciation of -$1910. I would expect the same price depreciation to be applied to the used LR RWD.

I would then consider the used blue RWD $48,400 - 1910 = $46,490 before accounting the mileage and from depreciation for taking a new car off the dealer lot.
How much is that worth? I think -3 to -4k. I would think a fair price for that used LR RWD is $48,400 - 1910 - 4000 = $42490. However, they can't price it like that, that puts it into SR+ territory and I would choose a used LR RWD over a new SR+. Any car in the upper 40K price range is an instance 3-4k depreciation the moment you drive off the dealer lot. I think that $42490 number doesn't even account 10k miles. really.... I think that used car is worth only $41-42k.

Comparing a new LR AWD to a used LR RWD

new LR AWD new Blue 18" with delivery = 47,990 + 1000 + 1200 = $50,190
used LR RWD Blue 19" = $46,500
a diff of -$3690. However, demand is high someone will say, -3690 cheaper and can't afford the a new AWD. I will buy it since it's the easiest entry point into the LR world.

If someone can take advantage of -1875 fed incentive then the price difference is only -$1815. why bother with a used car with 10k miles for such a little price difference. If they can also take advantage of a state rebate/incentive worth let's say 2k. then it's actually cheaper to buy the new car.

If someone can take advantage of -1875 fed incentive then the price difference is only -$1815. why bother with a used car with 10k miles for such a little price difference. If they can also take advantage of a state rebate/incentive worth let's say 2k. then it's actually cheaper to buy the new car.

That was my calculation when I was playing with the numbers last night.

LR AWD $47,990 + 1,200 (Delivery) +1,000 (Blue) +1,500 (19" Sport Tires) = $51,690.
-$1,875 (Fed Tax Credit) -$2,500 (California Incentive) -$800 (PG&E EV Incentive)
$46,515 +tx

At this point the Used LR RWD is exactly the same price before taxes.

There's legislation that's been submitted to triple the State EV Incentive from $2,500 to $7,500. But who knows if it will actually get anywhere.

So FYI... The CA state is out of funds for fiscal year for the $2500 rebate. I'm on the wait list if/when it gets reappropriated next year (which it usually does). That legislation to increase it to $7500, funding it with carbon cap ffsetand trade credits... I think that's not going to pass... But that's another topic.

Last edited:
So FYI... The CA state is out of funds for fiscal year for the $2500 rebate. I'm on the wait list if/when it gets reappropriated next year (which it usually does). That legislation to increase it to $7500, funding it with carbon cap ffsetand trade credits... I think that's not going to pass... But that's another topic.

I popped into my Tesla showroom on my way home today. The advisor said this same thing- don't count on the $2500, and definitely not in the short term. He also let me know about the income caps, which I can likely sneak under for 2018, but almost certainly not next year, due to maturing work stock options and such.

All this being said, the LR AWD is still coming in at only $2500 above a used LR RWD of the same config, which is nutty. He was also saying that if I had any medium term interest in getting a Model Y (which I have a order for now) then leasing for 2 years might be a good option as long as I'm happy to walk away from it.

I think at some point the Used pricing needs to reflect common sense (currently it does not) and if you need to add $2000 delivery charge ; it becomes insane to buy used.
I think they have no incentive to move the used, wall street and everyone else in their business is concerned with how many new cars sold, margin on the new cars, etc... so selling a used car to them might help a single dealer location or salesperson but not much else right now.

I am still on the sidelines waiting for a good used offer or will go the other route with a new AWD likely P3D- if they are still making them in a couple of months. Again speaking to margin it seems a no brainer to keep offering these since it likely costs them nothing more but increases their profit margin for each P3D- sold.
My state's excise tax yearly (on top of state sales tax) benefits buying used over new (only a few hundred dollar difference but that is a difference every year for 4 years so can add up) ; of course used you get no Federal rebate vs. new if bought in 2019.

CPO fluctuates so much.

Last night there were some great deals on SR+'s fully loaded and few Mid Ranges popped up and they were gone within minutes

Check CPO multiple times at different times of the day

All used Model 3's are still priced way too high. Pretty annoying since I really want one