Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR RWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, before someone points out the error, there aren't 20 differerent combinations. The final paint is not really a "combination" the interiors are identical and they just stock a certain number of white v. black. The wheels don't count, you just put them on. So I guess the number of combinations is two battery packs, and one version with two engines, plus the performance additions. So its four combinations. But I had a point in there somehere.
The wheels do matter. Tesla will not swap the wheels for you because the door sticker reflects the wheel size. Only the hardware matters, not software features like AP or FSD or SR vs. SR+.

The wheels do matter. Tesla will not swap the wheels for you because the door sticker reflects the wheel size. Only the hardware matters, not software features like AP or FSD or SR vs. SR+.

He is talking about production scheduling, and wheels don't matter there since different wheels don't require major production line changes or retooling. Still, we are talking about 10 color combinations that need to get enough volume each to run a production batch. Anyone here has the phone number of Tesla's production scheduler by any chance? ;)

New update: reached out to my contact from the local Tesla store and he mentioned that it shouldn't be much longer. He said a customer that order LR RWD a few days before me (5/19) just got a vin match yesterday. Wooo!

Thought I'd give others on here waiting some hope.

New update: reached out to my contact from the local Tesla store and he mentioned that it shouldn't be much longer. He said a customer that order LR RWD a few days before me (5/19) just got a vin match yesterday. Wooo!

Thought I'd give others on here waiting some hope.
Good to hear! Man I wish that person was on here, I'd be interested to see what their VIN was

He is talking about production scheduling, and wheels don't matter there since different wheels don't require major production line changes or retooling. Still, we are talking about 10 color combinations that need to get enough volume each to run a production batch. Anyone here has the phone number of Tesla's production scheduler by any chance? ;)
OK. I was talking about VIN matching. Many people think they can just swap the wheels at the delivery center, but they won't. You would be more likely to get a discount for taking a car in inventory with 19" wheels if they don't have enough cars with 18's. That has definitely happened before.

OK. I was talking about VIN matching. Many people think they can just swap the wheels at the delivery center, but they won't. You would be more likely to get a discount for taking a car in inventory with 19" wheels if they don't have enough cars with 18's. That has definitely happened before.

What I was attempting to think out loud about was the concept of how difficult it was to build LR RWD's. When you think about it, the chassis must be the same, it must hold both a SR battery pack and a LR battery pack. So as its going down the line the only difference between a SR+ car and a LR RWD car is a bigger battery. Everything else is a component part: interior trim, computer, body panels, exterior paint color, wheels. So there are basically four different cars which could be built on what one would think is the same production line. Yes, there are different combinations of colors, and wheels, but I realized that those do not mean its a separate build.

What I was attempting to think out loud about was the concept of how difficult it was to build LR RWD's. When you think about it, the chassis must be the same, it must hold both a SR battery pack and a LR battery pack. So as its going down the line the only difference between a SR+ car and a LR RWD car is a bigger battery. Everything else is a component part: interior trim, computer, body panels, exterior paint color, wheels. So there are basically four different cars which could be built on what one would think is the same production line. Yes, there are different combinations of colors, and wheels, but I realized that those do not mean its a separate build.
There is more nuance here. All SR+ cars have only a rear motor. Most LR cars produced today have dual motors. However, LR-RWD has only a rear motor. There was a news story relatively early in the production about eliminating the wiring on the LR battery pack that is used by the front motor. That was significant at the time because they were only producing LR-RWD and that wiring was wasted on all cars being produced at that time. Now, it's reversed. Most cars that use the LR pack need the wiring for the front motor. Today, if they want to produce a LR-RWD car, they have to either produce a run of LR packs without the wiring for the front motor or they have to leave it there unused, eating up some margin that used to be present in LR-RWD production.
So, to my thinking, a LR-RWD car is basically a LR-AWD car without the front drive unit and subframe. The LR pack without the front motor wiring would be a special component required for LR-RWD production.

At least for me, I first got an e-mail from a delivery advisor about a week ago ( ~2 weeks after ordering) telling me that they hope I will be matched to a VIN in the next 2 weeks. Then, my homepage changed 2 days ago to “please pay off your remaining balance prior to delivery”.
Overnight, I got emailed my MVPA (purchase agreement) that contained a VIN. I have yet to hear from anyone with a delivery date though, but was previously told ave of 1 week from VIN assignment to delivery in St. Louis

At least for me, I first got an e-mail from a delivery advisor about a week ago ( ~2 weeks after ordering) telling me that they hope I will be matched to a VIN in the next 2 weeks. Then, my homepage changed 2 days ago to “please pay off your remaining balance prior to delivery”.
Overnight, I got emailed my MVPA (purchase agreement) that contained a VIN. I have yet to hear from anyone with a delivery date though, but was previously told ave of 1 week from VIN assignment to delivery in St. Louis
Is this for a LR RWD ?

Last edited:
And do you know the build date?