Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR RWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just called this morning and was told by an advisor that it would take about 2 weeks for delivery of a LR RWD. I was told to just order a LR AWD from the site and provide my advisor the RN#.

Is this the usual on ordering the LR RWD?

Just heard back from the advisor I have been working with
LR RWD can still be ordered through them
MSRP in us $45,900 includes AP (can no longer be ordered without the basic AP installed)
Can choose any paint color, wheel or interior color option from the website just like other models.

Could not give me a timeline though, he stated they batch run this model so the timing will vary and would need to expect it to be longer than the website options.
I would definitely not trust 2 weeks, would have to get very lucky for that.

Not sure if batching is done just by car itself or also by interior or color options which could explain JVMoore’s wait.

I am 80% certain this is the car I will order just not exactly positive when I will do it.

Yep, its possible. Just got email confirming it. Unfortunately, by doing so you lose the tax credit (in Canada) so the LR RWD is extra $8100CAD but technically its $13100CAD as you lose that $5k incentive from Canada. So, in that case I don't think the extra 137km is worth extra $13100CAD (for me) so I will stick to my SR+ :)

Just heard back from the advisor I have been working with
LR RWD can still be ordered through them
MSRP in us $45,900 includes AP (can no longer be ordered without the basic AP installed)
Can choose any paint color, wheel or interior color option from the website just like other models.

Could not give me a timeline though, he stated they batch run this model so the timing will vary and would need to expect it to be longer than the website options.
I would definitely not trust 2 weeks, would have to get very lucky for that.

Not sure if batching is done just by car itself or also by interior or color options which could explain JVMoore’s wait.

I am 80% certain this is the car I will order just not exactly positive when I will do it.

Reactions: Joey_82
Yep, its possible. Just got email confirming it. Unfortunately, by doing so you lose the tax credit (in Canada) so the LR RWD is extra $8100CAD but technically its $13100CAD as you lose that $5k incentive from Canada. So, in that case I don't think the extra 137km is worth extra $13100CAD (for me) so I will stick to my SR+ :)

In the state of Massachusetts the cap is $50k for their rebate so this is the highest end model that will fit
Any of the AWD options don’t qualify.

@Gloor I feel your pain. With WA state incentive being limited to $45k and below, the LR RWD is just out of reach. This means that upgrade from SR+ to LR RWD is $8.5k rather than a more palatable $6k.

Mostly just wishful thinking, but with Tesla’s constant price adjustments, have they ever reduced the price of an off-menu item? I know they’ve removed certain models and then brought them back, but did they ever change the price?

@Gloor I feel your pain. With WA state incentive being limited to $45k and below, the LR RWD is just out of reach. This means that upgrade from SR+ to LR RWD is $8.5k rather than a more palatable $6k.

Mostly just wishful thinking, but with Tesla’s constant price adjustments, have they ever reduced the price of an off-menu item? I know they’ve removed certain models and then brought them back, but did they ever change the price?

Just curious as I thought I read this elsewhere... The $45k cap I read as "Net" of trade in. So, if you bought a $60k model, but traded in a $20K beater (smile), you where still eligible. Someone posted that on another thread. I didn't explore further as it was too late for me - but perhaps not you all!

Just curious as I thought I read this elsewhere... The $45k cap I read as "Net" of trade in. So, if you bought a $60k model, but traded in a $20K beater (smile), you where still eligible. Someone posted that on another thread. I didn't explore further as it was too late for me - but perhaps not you all!
That’s really interesting if true but I actually don’t own a car at the moment to trade-in. Living on the east coast for last 11 years has meant I haven’t needed a car but the move to Seattle is proving much harder to live that lifestyle.

Buying a beater to trade-in is an interesting thought experiment but seems like a lot of work for little reward in my opinion.

That’s really interesting if true but I actually don’t own a car at the moment to trade-in. Living on the east coast for last 11 years has meant I haven’t needed a car but the move to Seattle is proving much harder to live that lifestyle.

Buying a beater to trade-in is an interesting thought experiment but seems like a lot of work for little reward in my opinion.

I was not suggesting to the group to buy a beater to trade, but rather that the cap “may be” net of a trade. In another thread from yesterday, folks were quoting the law that it was “net”. I didn’t do any further research, just wanted to pass along that thought. Yeah, I moved from NJ to Seattle 30 years ago. Definitely different here than there...

I was not suggesting to the group to buy a beater to trade, but rather that the cap “may be” net of a trade. In another thread from yesterday, folks were quoting the law that it was “net”. I didn’t do any further research, just wanted to pass along that thought. Yeah, I moved from NJ to Seattle 30 years ago. Definitely different here than there...
Totally understand that- I’m guessing everyone on here probably owns a car already. I didn’t see any “net” language in the WA bill but I’ll be interested to see people’s experience starting 9/1 when incentive starts. For those who have purchased, how difficult has it been to claim their Fed and/or state EV incentives?

Was at the Tesla store earlier today and they said ordering the LR RWD was no longer available, even off-menu. They said this is a new development in the last couple of days and that it hasn't spread to all the sales people yet. For those who are hearing something different, are you working with inside sales or what?

Totally understand that- I’m guessing everyone on here probably owns a car already. I didn’t see any “net” language in the WA bill but I’ll be interested to see people’s experience starting 9/1 when incentive starts. For those who have purchased, how difficult has it been to claim their Fed and/or state EV incentives?

I also don’t have a trade in, turning in a leased car at the end of next month...

As much as I hate to stretch my budget to the LR RWD I had talked myself into it because of the extra range and faster supercharger speed. However, losing the $2500 tax credit AND paying the extra tax is painful. It’s $6,000 more between SR+ and LR RWD. Now paying tax ~10.1% (Seattle area) that’s another $600. So it’s $6600 more, but actually FEELS like $9,100 more! (You lose the $2500 credit, you pay $600 more in tax, and $6000 difference between SR+ and LR RWD) Almost $10k more for 85 more miles and faster supercharging rate just is too much for me. (I know the interior is better and it’s a bit faster, but I’m happy with the SR+ interior and the speed is just a novelty)

Reactions: Gloor

I sure hope you mean 8/1 when the credit starts... because I feel like I read somewhere that it starts in August... which is when I’m taking delivery, lol

Was at the Tesla store earlier today and they said ordering the LR RWD was no longer available, even off-menu. They said this is a new development in the last couple of days and that it hasn't spread to all the sales people yet. For those who are hearing something different, are you working with inside sales or what?

Past few weeks when I've been to the store, and was unsure about SR+, LR RWD and LR AWD, I asked about the LR RWD and got that typical type of answer "There's some around still but you can't order them anymore".

I pushed a bit and said "are you sure about not being able to order?" They responded by saying that's what the managers at the store told them. They were all nice, but I think were just going with the flow. They later checked more into it, and reached out to HQ / Fremont and got a response that it was still possible to place an off order menu for LR RWD. I mean, I guess for what its worth, that was over a week ago.

The lower sales advisors all say this. If you go directly to Fremont you can place an order. I placed an order for mine on the 11th of July. Feel free to shoot me a DM if you want his contact info.

There is nothing preventing a sales advisor from placing an order for a LR RWD Model 3. It starts with a LR AWD model and then the advisor modifies the order to change it to RWD.

My guess as to where the confusion comes in is that some advisors apparently have been "told" that Tesla is not building the RWD versions anymore so they just refuse to modify the order and say no to the customer. Other reps go ahead and place the modified order in the system.

What is unknown to seemingly everyone (except Elon) is when Tesla will build the next batch of RWD cars. Corporate provides no direction to sales on what the production schedule is. This lack of direction is what causes confusion amongst the team, which is why some reps just say no and others say yes.

Historically Elon has tweeted when a car is about to go end of life and given at least a week's notice to place an order before it's officially killed. Since this has not happened yet (at least not in the US) I'm pretty sure that Tesla will run another batch of RWD cars at some point.

I'm with you on that one. It would cost me about $13kCAD more just to have LR RWD and seeing that I'm not getting that much in return I'm not doing it either. SR+ will suffice ;)

I also don’t have a trade in, turning in a leased car at the end of next month...

As much as I hate to stretch my budget to the LR RWD I had talked myself into it because of the extra range and faster supercharger speed. However, losing the $2500 tax credit AND paying the extra tax is painful. It’s $6,000 more between SR+ and LR RWD. Now paying tax ~10.1% (Seattle area) that’s another $600. So it’s $6600 more, but actually FEELS like $9,100 more! (You lose the $2500 credit, you pay $600 more in tax, and $6000 difference between SR+ and LR RWD) Almost $10k more for 85 more miles and faster supercharging rate just is too much for me. (I know the interior is better and it’s a bit faster, but I’m happy with the SR+ interior and the speed is just a novelty)

Here, did a quick chart. As you can see, almost 25% for just LR and 36% for LR AWD. I can't justify that price hike for not as many benefits.
I've also included 72 months plan with 3.3% APR. All is in CAD prices. Hope it helps someone too. And yeah, red colour is there :)

Screenshot 2019-07-13 at 23.03.02.png

Here, did a quick chart. As you can see, almost 25% for just LR and 36% for LR AWD. I can't justify that price hike for not as many benefits.
I've also included 72 months plan with 3.3% APR. All is in CAD prices. Hope it helps someone too. And yeah, red colour is there :)

View attachment 429373

For a second, I said "wait a minute, those prices are too high..." Then I realized my USD bias/filter and said, "Ah, CAN$! Good table!

Lol I did a nearly identical spreadsheet in numbers and went back and forth for a month over which model to get. The SR+ getting the 5K federal incentive just really drives a significant difference in price for it compared to LR RWD/AWD. Did you end up placing your order yet?

Reactions: Gloor