Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 is a rough ride. You too?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope.

In fact mine rides smoother than the owned-since-new Lexus it replaced.

Maybe check tire pressure to see if it came overinflated.....some folks reported getting cars in the mid-high 40s PSI range- taking that down a bit should help considerably.

I rebuilt/restored the Mustang you see there, and put in Shelby HP suspension. I couldn't believe how stiff the ride was compared to the stock setup. That's when I discovered the great cornering/handling that I got for the sacrificed comfort - then I loved it!
My Model 3 feels just like it. These things were suspended for performance, not comfort. They are also safer without any slop in the suspension. The stiff ride is fine by me, I actually prefer it.

I really like the ride. Yes, it is firm, but I wouldn’t call it rough. I just took my first road trip from Santa Cruz to Orange County and back, and both my wife and I thought it was a great road trip car. I had a C5 Corvette a while back and it was much stiffer, not a road trip car.

Reactions: DR61
My AWD with 18 inch wheels seems to rock and roll with every little bump or crack in the pavement. Even the tiny ones. Seems very tightly sprung. A pretty rough ride. Anyone else feel this problem?
I have seen that most people complaining of the ride quality are on the 18's, someone here posted that their friends on 19's rode better, I have only been in 3 different model 3's first one was on 18's but is was a dec 2017 build on the stiff springs and the ride was horrible! (IMO) then I took delivery of mine on 19's in April, I was very pleased with the ride quality compared to what I was worried I would get from the original 2 day test drive from a Turo rental, yes you can feel the road a lot but IMO it is very well damped for a sports sedan (just a great blend of handling/comfort) then my brother in law got his P3D+ and his car on the 20's rides considerably rougher but I have 15k miles now and his had 80 so theres that

It's a sport sedan. It rides softer than our old MINI, and I think pretty comparable to my old 2001 Porsche Carrera 4. And it's faster than either one. The performance of the car dictates the suspension setup to a large degree. Given that "limitation" I think it does very well.

Reactions: DR61
I always thought my 3 built in April with 18" wheels rode a bit rough, but not enough to really bother me. Then I rode in my friend's June built 3 with 18" wheels and his was noticeably smoother. We both noticed the difference. I thought I would mention it to Tesla at my first service opportunity. But, within a day or so, I went back to thinking the ride is perfectly fine and I probably won't mention it to Tesla.

For what it is worth, he ride comparison was in 70 degree weather.

I always thought my 3 built in April with 18" wheels rode a bit rough, but not enough to really bother me. Then I rode in my friend's June built 3 with 18" wheels and his was noticeably smoother. We both noticed the difference. I thought I would mention it to Tesla at my first service opportunity. But, within a day or so, I went back to thinking the ride is perfectly fine and I probably won't mention it to Tesla.

For what it is worth, he ride comparison was in 70 degree weather.
Strange that there would be a difference in the ride of builds that should have the same suspensions, could it be more milage on your friends or less air pressure in the tires? I can't think of what else it would be unless there were further iterations of the suspension between april and june? (mine is a may build)

Strange that there would be a difference in the ride of builds that should have the same suspensions, could it be more milage on your friends or less air pressure in the tires? I can't think of what else it would be unless there were further iterations of the suspension between april and june? (mine is a may build)
My car had about 10K on it at the time and his probably had 5K. His tires were inflated in the low 40 psi range, mine were in the upper 30's. Pretty much the opposite of what would be expected.

My car had about 10K on it at the time and his probably had 5K. His tires were inflated in the low 40 psi range, mine were in the upper 30's. Pretty much the opposite of what would be expected.
maybe more than one change was made in the springs and dampers in that short time frame, I do remember reading something here that there were multiple part numbers on those

RWD suspension was changed at least twice FWIW- I had a thread with details back when the parts catalog first was made public but before they stripped the info from it with the specific dates if you wanna go look for it.

RWD suspension was changed at least twice FWIW- I had a thread with details back when the parts catalog first was made public but before they stripped the info from it with the specific dates if you wanna go look for it.
Found it, started this thread for all to see RWD Many different dampers and springs
Seems that my rear springs and dampers are not even listed in the catalog.