Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P VS BMW I4 M50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
bmw.jpg
Tesla.jpg

Here's my $0.02 also. Just looking at the i4 and that 8 hour charge time is ridiculous, you will charge faster in the M3P, and get more range. You can see at 70% remaining I still have about 237 miles left. You also will have exponentially more place to charge in a Tesla. BMW 0-60 in 3.7sec is slower than my car at 0-60 in 3.1 sec.

I saw the BMW interior, it is very busy. The minimalist interior is really a relief when you own the Model 3. The technology in the Model 3 is unmatched, and it constantly gets better. I heard someone here say the Model 3 suspension is trash...don't believe that, the suspension is perfect unless you want to take your car to the track. For everyday commuting I have had no problems with the suspension.

Your car will retain it's value. You will have no problem reselling your Model 3P if you plan on upgrading, I'm not sure about BMW resell value, but I did wreck my first M3 Rear wheel drive and retained almost all the value. Here is my car (2021 M3P red/white interior):

m3.jpg

Plus, you know how BMWs work, by the time you add all the basic features you want and pay the dealer markup on a short supply/high demand new model it'll be roughly double the cost of a 3LR.

My generic thoughts:

*Before now* (important emphasis) the trick - mine, anyway - was to buy 5- or 6-year-old BMWs with maybe 60K miles on them. At that point they're 15-18K, and all the models are roughly the same price (i.e. the prices of a 325 and a 740 are very close).

They last years and years, and they're really great cars. My other car is a 2004 X5 that I bought in 2009 for $17K - the low-end price of an economy car.

The only caveat is that you need a very good mechanic who specializes in the cars - and we do. If not you'll either have to go to a dealer ($$$$$) or have it fixed by people who don't have the special computer hookups, and equally importantly who don't know things like which aftermarket parts are okay and which will fail. That will end up costing you more. How do I know that?

So what's changed?

1. Tesla, specifically the Model 3 at its price, is ahead of everyone right now. The X5 was the best-driving car I'd ever driven, but the Tesla is in another league. It is SO much fun to drive. (I do expect other manufacturers to catch up, though.)

2. EVs in general are changing everything, from the logistics of charging for both short and long trips to maintenance.

Reactions: Anothergeek
I'm about to place my order today or tomorrow. I had my heart set in the performance but now the deals on the LR are so good. I could take an LR over 24 months with no deposit and save £40 per month. On the other hand I could put 5k down for the performance and pay the £40 extra per month over 48 months. It's tempting to save alot of money and the LR is clearly the better deal but am I going to regret not getting the performance which is what I've had my eye on for about a year now?
When I test drove them both, the performance was really fun and the LR was still fun but not as much as the performance.
I have AWD LR for 3 years and love it. I drove my friends Performance model 3 for a little bit. Its the same but faster taking off. Maybe a ride a bit harsher as it has 20 inch wheels vs 19, he had not issues with bent rims but he lives in nice posh place where roads are maintained. Tesla does offer boost or whatever its called to lower 0-60 of AWS LR Model 3 to be closer to Performance.

Also keep in mind, you are asking here about BWM performance (rival) to Tesla model 3 performance, what kind of answer do you expect? Have you posted similar question on BWM forums? If you can and want to afford higher $ and want more speed (no other interior differences), sure. Check insurance in your neck of the woods, now it might be more expensive to insure performance vs others model 3 due to VIN being unique

Reactions: tm1v2
Only caution I give you is don't expect the software features to be reliable. The software upgradability the car has with Tesla's OTA update history is great, but sometimes I feel like they need to focus on making what the car already does work better. Years later I am still suffering from blacked out side cameras when reversing more than 75% of the time, summon that works maybe 20% of the time, autopark that works maybe 30% of the time, Spotify issues that prevent me changing the station for the first few minutes of a drive probably 25% of the time. All somewhat minor things, but overtime it gets irritating. All focus seems to be on FSD now.

I am seriously looking at the i4 now, but it is mostly out of frustration with the Tesla build quality than anything else.

I saw the BMW interior, it is very busy. The minimalist interior is really a relief when you own the Model 3.

This is an excellent way to put it. There's a really simplistic elegance with the Tesla interior, it removes a lot of visual noise - tons of visible vents, buttons, dials, etc., doesn't feel more luxurious, it feels dated.

I have AWD LR for 3 years and love it. I drove my friends Performance model 3 for a little bit. Its the same but faster taking off. Maybe a ride a bit harsher as it has 20 inch wheels vs 19, he had not issues with bent rims but he lives in nice posh place where roads are maintained. Tesla does offer boost or whatever its called to lower 0-60 of AWS LR Model 3 to be closer to Performance.

Also keep in mind, you are asking here about BWM performance (rival) to Tesla model 3 performance, what kind of answer do you expect? Have you posted similar question on BWM forums? If you can and want to afford higher $ and want more speed (no other interior differences), sure. Check insurance in your neck of the woods, now it might be more expensive to insure performance vs others model 3 due to VIN being unique
As a 2021 M3P owner I second everything above. The M3P launches notably harder, pulls harder at lower speeds, but that's it performance-wise. Acceleration from highway speeds feels about the same.

I'm pretty sure 2021 M3P suspension is about the same as 2021 M3LR. The different feel is right in line with the different wheels+tires, nothing more. Wheels and tires can be changed easy-peasy.

The M3P 235/35R20 setup with cast wheels is rather ridiculous. Fine for smooth roads, but I promise you big Tesla cast wheels + rubberband tires means cracked wheels on bad roads. I know from the original 245/35R21 setup on my S P85, and many others have reported the same thing. I ordered smaller wheels for my M3P before I even picked up the car.

There is really one unique, special thing about the M3P: Track Mode. If that's not a selling point to you, and you don't live life a quarter mile at a time, then honestly the M3LR is a better buy. (If you do live life 1/4 mile at a time, by all means feel free to get the M3P for that alone!)

The M3P bigger brakes with two-piece rotors are nice too. That was also a selling point to me. Brakes can be upgraded though. There is no upgrade path to Track Mode.

Bmw seems to have the nicer interior, is quicker than the 3P only when doing something like 0 -200 km, can be ordered with 18 inch wheels and Is more quiet.
Tesla has better charging, better range, better software. Probably best to spend less on an electric car now as things keep improving lots.

Bmw seems to have the nicer interior, is quicker than the 3P only when doing something like 0 -200 km, can be ordered with 18 inch wheels and Is more quiet.
Tesla has better charging, better range, better software. Probably best to spend less on an electric car now as things keep improving lots.

From a dig, i bet the M3P will be ahead of the i4 to 200km/h.

Reactions: Anothergeek
I rode in a X4 m40i and found it kind of miserable. The back seat was horrendous and I sat there thinking to myself this thing is the same cost as a MYP, unbelievable! It was a friends car he just got for his wife... I had to bite my tongue. This is not exactly the same as the OP's situation but I dare say I would be similarly unimpressed with the i4.

For me it would be either a Tesla or a Porsche electric. Waiting to see what the Macan has to offer.
A gas Macan I tested recently was horribly boring. Interior was cramped for its class too and in desperate need of a refresh. It was only the 4cyl base model though, they had nothing else to available.

I'll admit the Macan suspension tuning was quite good for a crossover, so maybe a good EV drivetrain would wake up the chassis...

I'll keep my money on the pioneers, not those desperately playing catch up. BMW et al wouldn't even be looking at electric so hard if it wasn't for Tesla...
BMW is not playing catch up. I drove an i3 for several years as a "transitional" vehicle for several years with zero issues. I would have bought the i4M if they had done a better job with range. If anything, I think BMW has misread the market for electric vehicles in spite of having years of experience with electric drivetrains. The i3 was a great car and was everything I needed it to be - except visually appealing as a car.

Reactions: Nozferat