Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P - Who switched from a (true) sports car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depending on the track either the F80 M3 or Performance Model 3 would have a quicker lap time. Lower speed tracks the Model 3 will be faster. Higher speed tracks the M3 will be faster. The M3 will start pulling on the Model 3 pretty hard over about 110mph.

You can see this pretty clearly in my video here at 1 min 24 seconds.

Curious what your impression is of how many BMW M3s running on the tracks w/you are re-chipped?

Curious what your impression is of how many BMW M3s running on the tracks w/you are re-chipped?

Hard to say. When I ran one it was tuned with a JB4 and downpipes and making over 500whp. I could hit almost 160 on the back straight at WGI. I don't think the Model 3 could get much past 140. I would assume that at this point MOST of them are tuned because it is so easy with MHD, but I am sure there are also some people running the stock software. Unfortunately, there is no way to gain 150hp for less than $1,000 on the Model 3 lol.

That all being said, a stock F80 will still pull on the Model 3 at high speed.

Reactions: dfwatt
Hard to say. When I ran one it was tuned with a JB4 and downpipes and making over 500whp. I could hit almost 160 on the back straight at WGI. I don't think the Model 3 could get much past 140. I would assume that at this point MOST of them are tuned because it is so easy with MHD, but I am sure there are also some people running the stock software. Unfortunately, there is no way to gain 150hp for less than $1,000 on the Model 3 lol.

That all being said, a stock F80 will still pull on the Model 3 at high speed.

Sure. From all the drag race results I would say the M3 starts pulling on the Tesla somewhere around 110-115, too bad we can't get a 2 gear transmission,which would help. Or an extra hundred HP! Seems downright unfair that you can slap on a new chip and get an easy 150 rear wheel horsepower!

Yes unfortunately we're talking about a pretty decent chunk of change for the MPP sport coilover kit. And even more for the Redwood sport coilovers. But I think echoing another poster on this thread, I bought cheap coilover kits before and regretted it. Some of the inexpensive ones were pretty good although none were as nearly as good as Mountain Pass but some of them were really junk and had to be replaced. And although Springs look like an appealing and cheaper alternative they're really not, as you can get into all kinds of problems with a lowered suspension on those stock shocks. And much of the difficulty with the stock suspension anyway, aside from its ride height, is with the shocks. The spring rates aren't bad, but the shocks just simply don't control oscillations and weight shift aggressively enough.

I dunno....couple of grand for a modder's fix seems pretty cheap compared to the 60-70k it costs to enter the game. :)

I may be picking mine up as soon as today. I suspect my coilover order won't be far behind. heh

Best,

Reactions: Dolemite and dfwatt
Sure. From all the drag race results I would say the M3 starts pulling on the Tesla somewhere around 110-115, too bad we can't get a 2 gear transmission,which would help. Or an extra hundred HP! Seems downright unfair that you can slap on a new chip and get an easy 150 rear wheel horsepower!

A 2nd gear would make a massive difference at high speeds.

Unfortunately, though, the downside to (any) EV right now is that we are still limited by the battery. Adding an extra 100hp now would result in even higher consumption and power would start to be limited by SOC even faster. At the point where we have a 150kWh+ pack and DC charging trackside that problem should cease to exist. Being able to run a full 30 minute session at full power with a 2nd gear will be pure bliss.

• Love
A 2nd gear would make a massive difference at high speeds.

Unfortunately, though, the downside to (any) EV right now is that we are still limited by the battery. Adding an extra 100hp now would result in even higher consumption and power would start to be limited by SOC even faster. At the point where we have a 150kWh+ pack and DC charging trackside that problem should cease to exist. Being able to run a full 30 minute session at full power with a 2nd gear will be pure bliss.

Track supercharging hopefully soon!

A 2nd gear would make a massive difference at high speeds...

Did you see Jason Cammisa's comments about the Taycan and how its transmission almost ruins one of the best things about an EV - namely its predictable, instant throttle response? Not saying that I don't understand how the transmission could help, but here's a guy who's owned an EV for years pointing out how the Taycan's powertrain falls short...

Did you see Jason Cammisa's comments about the Taycan and how its transmission almost ruins one of the best things about an EV - namely its predictable, instant throttle response? Not saying that I don't understand how the transmission could help, but here's a guy who's owned an EV for years pointing out how the Taycan's powertrain falls short...

Sure. Again there's always a trade-off to just about every technological adjustment or implementation. Yes you lose that complete linearity but you do get the advantage of keeping your electric motor in its highest horsepower range as your speed goes up, in exchange for cost weight and complexity. For a $50,000 car a single speed transmission essentially a gear reduction direct drive probably strikes a best balance of Virtues. All made possible by the fantastic flatness of the horsepower curve relative to internal combustion.

Last edited:

Maybe on the next version . My m3 gained 150 whp and 175 wtq. From a full e85 tune and downpipe back exhaust about 2 grand . On pump gas the s55 will make 75 whp gains or 500 whp . Very hard to beat .

I have no experience driving an EV with a 2-speed so I really don't know how it would affect the driving dynamics, but in theory it would be an improvement at high speeds as horsepower (and especially torque) starts to fall off quickly at higher RPM.

I suppose the best of both worlds would be a single-speed transmission with motors that don't have power decay at higher RPM :)

Maybe on the next version . My m3 gained 150 whp and 175 wtq. From a full e85 tune and downpipe back exhaust about 2 grand . On pump gas the s55 will make 75 whp gains or 500 whp . Very hard to beat .

Except at the gas pump where it probably guzzles gas like a drunken sailor. Especially if you didn't use water injection which a lot of people have moved away from and instead just going for straight mixture enrichment as a way to prevent fatal detonation.

Lol only the Vette and Audi RS are true sports cars on the list. Maybe the Camaro and Stang too. The others are luxury sports coups. I just came from an e63 and a c6 Vette before that and c5 before that and the awd and handling is on par with any of them. My car is lowered though by the first 6 month owner so maybe that helps.

Who switched to a M3P from a proper sports car (i.e. BMW M3/M4, Merc C63, Caddy V, Audi RS, Vette, higher trim Stang/Camaro, etc)?

If so, which one?

I knew there was going to be a drop in handling/chassis performance, but it's a bit more than I was hoping for. The track numbers and certain reviews made it seem like the disparity was smaller than I'm experiencing, but I think the sheer power and instantaneous torque helps the numbers themselves. Numbers/times aside, there are a number of chassis characteristics that are sorely lacking. The damping is probably the biggest gripe.

However, I (sort of) knew what I was getting myself into, and the car is still enjoyable.

This is by no means a dumping ground of a thread, just curious what others think who came from a proper sports car.

Audi rs? Lol. They are great at under steering into a wall

Lol only the Vette and Audi RS are true sports cars on the list. Maybe the Camaro and Stang too. The others are luxury sports coups. I just came from an e63 and a c6 Vette before that and c5 before that and the awd and handling is on par with any of them. My car is lowered though by the first 6 month owner so maybe that helps.