Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P - Who switched from a (true) sports car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked at those when they first came out. There was no manual to be had. I bet it was nice with a stick.

It was pretty rad. I live in CA and had to order from Texas to get it. No dealers around me wanted to order it for me because they said it wouldn't sell if I backed out. I ordered October 2015 and got it April 2016. It was a 2016 slipstream blue with a sunroof and manual. I was dumb and didn't order the spare. I could have used that too. I had the rims powder coated gloss black and dechromed the whole thing. I had to get the window surrounds from a guy in Australia because GM didn't sell them in America yet. Definitely a fun car.

• Love
Reactions: Darmie
Lol only the Vette and Audi RS are true sports cars on the list. Maybe the Camaro and Stang too. The others are luxury sports coups. I just came from an e63 and a c6 Vette before that and c5 before that and the awd and handling is on par with any of them. My car is lowered though by the first 6 month owner so maybe that helps.

Audi RS is a plow and understeers about as much as a 1963 Rambler (unless you have torque vectoring) and in any case it's a sport sedan not a sports car. Only the Corvette is anything you could call a sports car on that list. Pony cars and muscle cars are not sports cars.

Screenshot_2018-04-02-02-24-48.png
Screenshot_20191124-115230~2.png

Before my P3D, I had 440whp turbo Nissan 200sx, 786rwhp Procharger Pontiac G8 and 650rwhp Camaro ZL1.

I miss the sound of a lumpy cam and exhaust, as well as the psssssh from a BOV, but the Tesla although very different hasn't disappoint me, because it does what it was made to do. I also dont miss the expensive fuel cost and other maintenance.

Once im don't modifying my P3D, I'll probably build another LS based car.

Not to point out the obvious, but the Model 3P isn't a sportscar - it's a (4100 lb.) sports sedan. That's a pretty big distinction...

Also, there's no doubt that its acceleration plays a significant part in its track performance capability, but you knew that going in, right?
Ya I know. Its a mass market sporty sedan. Not exactly high end performance but I’m part of the masses who was looking for sporty, and practical. Not high performance. If I was looking for high performance I would have bought something else.

• Funny
Reactions: dfwatt
Ya I know. Its a mass market sporty sedan. Not exactly high end performance but I’m part of the masses who was looking for sporty, and practical. Not high performance. If I was looking for high performance I would have bought something else.

You can get a higher performing sedan, but not at anything remotely close to this price point.

What not high performance about it, handles anything I can do on the street as well or better than anything else and what I'm doing on the street is as much as anyone should be doing. Acceleration is quicker than 95 percent of cars. Handling doesn't appear to have any issues.

Kind of a weird condescension? Looks like you're opting to stay away from the performance version. Curious why? That version would seem to provide just as much practicality and a whole lot more performance. And it has a lot of options for upgrades and serious improvements to handling and track ability.

Amazing how so many of those high horsepower noisy muscle cars were really not that fast nor track effective. They felt fast because of the noise they made and the way they were barely controllable on the track or street.

Most did not hook up well from a cold start. Amazing how fast a Model S will walk away from them on the strip. Most anything fast enough to keep up will not be street legal or emissions compliant. Heck, Model S even walks away from the legendary HellCat at impromptu stoplight events.

Model 3 can hold its own when up against most stock spots sedans or even sports cars. They simply don't hook up well enough to get going from a dig. Only ones that come close need to go through a complex launch control countdown. Model 3 only needs a fast pedal drop.

In the next few years the electric cars will come into their own. They will become the go to choice for people wanting fast cars, not just fast feeling cars.

This is coming from a guy that used to track an 800 hp supercharged Viper.

Amazing how so many of those high horsepower noisy muscle cars were really not that fast nor track effective. They felt fast because of the noise they made and the way they were barely controllable on the track or street. Most did not hook up well from a cold start.

And this is why I drive my M3P confidentially on the street, it's just so consistent with the drop of the pedal. I've been on the other side and know how hard it is to launch a high HP muscle car on the street, cold or street tires. You'll need almost 700HP on the back end to catch-up with a M3P launch. Exceptions to AWD (with built tranny's) and tuner GTRs but then most won't want to risk breaking their transmission.

I'd love to find out how GM is getting the Corvette to launch so hard, it should be spinning the rear even with < 500hp.

Amazing how so many of those high horsepower noisy muscle cars were really not that fast nor track effective. They felt fast because of the noise they made and the way they were barely controllable on the track or street.

Most did not hook up well from a cold start. Amazing how fast a Model S will walk away from them on the strip. Most anything fast enough to keep up will not be street legal or emissions compliant. Heck, Model S even walks away from the legendary HellCat at impromptu stoplight events.

Model 3 can hold its own when up against most stock spots sedans or even sports cars. They simply don't hook up well enough to get going from a dig. Only ones that come close need to go through a complex launch control countdown. Model 3 only needs a fast pedal drop.

In the next few years the electric cars will come into their own. They will become the go to choice for people wanting fast cars, not just fast feeling cars.

This is coming from a guy that used to track an 800 hp supercharged Viper.

It's amazing you keep blindly peddling this story without acknowledging basic human psychology: people like things because of how it makes them feel.

They like fast cars because of the sensation, more than the numbers. They'd probably rather eat an Alain Passard meal than drink a vegetable smoothie, even if the latter is more nutritious.

Clocking in 300 miliseconds faster in the quartermile or a track lap is not the end-all be-all, unless your car lives exclusively on the track, and you get paid for it. Which, last I checked, nobody here does.

How is the narrative to your post always "I'm a seasoned old guy, I used to have all the cars", but the thesis is a "uhhhh this one holeshots from stop lights". (Are you actually doing this? Are you racing your neighbors down Main Street?)

To you that could be all that matters. To other people, sound matters. Looks matter. Sensations matter.

people like things because of how it makes them feel.

Yup, you're right and the only explanation I can give you on why I still on my '92 Acura NSX. It's slow as a Civic, hard to get into and I drive it less than 500 miles a year. But it feels like a true sports car, low to the ground, flashy (stops traffic) and sounds like a beast revving over 6000 rpm out the tuby exhaust.

I'm confident "Uncle Paul" knows what a sports car feels like, having owned a SC Dodge Viper. But after some time driving a car that constantly wants to kill you (I've had a few that have tried), gets <10MPG, and constantly overheats sitting in traffic, you start to appreciate how much Tesla spoils us. Go fast without the worry, heck I no longer worry how much the next repair is going to cost me even after launching WOT at every light.

Yup, you're right and the only explanation I can give you on why I still on my '92 Acura NSX. It's slow as a Civic, hard to get into and I drive it less than 500 miles a year. But it feels like a true sports car, low to the ground, flashy (stops traffic) and sounds like a beast revving over 6000 rpm out the tuby exhaust.

I'm confident "Uncle Paul" knows what a sports car feels like, having owned a SC Dodge Viper. But after some time driving a car that constantly wants to kill you (I've had a few that have tried), gets <10MPG, and constantly overheats sitting in traffic, you start to appreciate how much Tesla spoils us. Go fast without the worry, heck I no longer worry how much the next repair is going to cost me even after launching WOT at every light.

I think there are probably a few of us here that have a "Viper tried to take me out" story. They are downright dangerous if you're not very careful.

As someone who has a M3P and a ~500hp muscle car, I understand. Though I don't think I've taken the muscle car out for a drive since I took delivery of the Tesla....just the occasional "move it around so the tires don't get flat spots" routine.

Best,

It's amazing you keep blindly peddling this story without acknowledging basic human psychology: people like things because of how it makes them feel.

They like fast cars because of the sensation, more than the numbers. They'd probably rather eat an Alain Passard meal than drink a vegetable smoothie, even if the latter is more nutritious.

Clocking in 300 miliseconds faster in the quartermile or a track lap is not the end-all be-all, unless your car lives exclusively on the track, and you get paid for it. Which, last I checked, nobody here does.

How is the narrative to your post always "I'm a seasoned old guy, I used to have all the cars", but the thesis is a "uhhhh this one holeshots from stop lights". (Are you actually doing this? Are you racing your neighbors down Main Street?)

To you that could be all that matters. To other people, sound matters. Looks matter. Sensations matter.

It's 2020, stop raping people's ears with your loud piece of $hit. There is nothing worse than seeing a crap car with fart cans driving around the street. Why is your pleasure worth more than everyone's hearing? If you want pleasure, go online, close your windows and lock your doors and do whatever you want behind close doors?

It's different at the race track, but even then there should be some limit at the track. It's not just for the neighbors, but is it really necessary for a Miata to blow higher db than their HP rating. I don't get it.

Loud Harley, they are even worse.

View attachment 527072 View attachment 527075

Before my P3D, I had 440whp turbo Nissan 200sx, 786rwhp Procharger Pontiac G8 and 650rwhp Camaro ZL1.

I miss the sound of a lumpy cam and exhaust, as well as the psssssh from a BOV, but the Tesla although very different hasn't disappoint me, because it does what it was made to do. I also dont miss the expensive fuel cost and other maintenance.

Once im don't modifying my P3D, I'll probably build another LS based car.
Very nice, I had a 710rwhp TT G8 GXP two vehicles ago. I miss it most days. It had a nice lumpy idle as well.

Reactions: incon3037r
It's 2020, stop raping people's ears with your loud piece of $hit. There is nothing worse than seeing a crap car with fart cans driving around the street. Why is your pleasure worth more than everyone's hearing? If you want pleasure, go online, close your windows and lock your doors and do whatever you want behind close doors?

It's different at the race track, but even then there should be some limit at the track. It's not just for the neighbors, but is it really necessary for a Miata to blow higher db than their HP rating. I don't get it.

Loud Harley, they are even worse.

Feels appropriate for one of those "ok boomer" sort of comments. LOL...all in good fun.

I understand concerns on the 'sterilty' of these EVs. They DO lack 'emotion', 'passion', and many of the sensory benefits associated with sporty ICE vehicles. I miss it. Its definitely an adjustment and will require a transition period. In the meantime, nothing wrong with RAW, loud, smelly power in small doses. But I think we also understand what the future is.

Last edited:
Reactions: TyH2009