Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P - Who switched from a (true) sports car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my M3P for daily driving/cruising. I would never equate it to a true sports car.

Had many a performance/"true" sports car in the past (both P-cars, F-cars etc.), and then got into tracking/club racing. Once you hit the track with a dedicated track car, you soon realize "street" sports cars will never give you the same "feel and thrill" of driving....

IMHO, street sports cars are just cop-magnets and Sunday "coffee-cars" driven to the local cars and coffee meet. :cool:

View attachment 689915View attachment 689916
I had an opportunity to drive the new C8 on track and it was fantastic. I drove home in the M3P and when you drive them back to back you realize how much of the driving experience is based on the cockpit layout, seating position, suspension setup, vibration, exhaust note. Even thought it was a DCT it was still more exciting to hear it rip through the gears.

When the govmint as you put it can't even get people to behave sensibly in relationship to getting a simple vaccine, it's incredibly unlikely that they are going to start cracking down on electric vehicle performance. On the other hand flagrant speeding in a Plaid will get you the same loss of license that you would get in an ICE vehicle.
I hope you're right. I just worry that eventually EVs are going to get much cheaper than ICE cars, with performance that's far more accessible to the average dunce.

diehard BMW fans they will probably tell you they are not the same BMW from years ago. Not to mention owning them out of warranty is a scary proposition.
With where the brand has gone, I'm no longer a diehard BMW fan. But I can attest to the fact that the interior in older BMWs had a fit & finish & overall "feel" that modern BMWs simply can't match - at least not those for commoners. Closing the door on an E39/E46 felt like closing the door on a vault. I drove an M2 a few weeks ago & it just felt like they've set their sights on Kia... which isn't necessarily bad, since the fitment on even entry-level Japanese cars these days is amazing. But they're very clearly riding the coattails of what they used to be and it's painfully obvious 'dey ain't built like dey useta."

Reactions: raptor5244
I hope you're right. I just worry that eventually EVs are going to get much cheaper than ICE cars, with performance that's far more accessible to the average dunce.

With where the brand has gone, I'm no longer a diehard BMW fan. But I can attest to the fact that the interior in older BMWs had a fit & finish & overall "feel" that modern BMWs simply can't match - at least not those for commoners. Closing the door on an E39/E46 felt like closing the door on a vault. I drove an M2 a few weeks ago & it just felt like they've set their sights on Kia... which isn't necessarily bad, since the fitment on even entry-level Japanese cars these days is amazing. But they're very clearly riding the coattails of what they used to be and it's painfully obvious 'dey ain't built like dey useta."
Agreed. I am surprised at how good the fit and finish is on the Mazda Miata. When I close the door on the Miata even with a soft top it is more solid than my Model 3. The panel gaps are perfect, molding, trim are all perfect.

I had a Tesla mobile tech come to the house to replace a 12V and I was asking him if he could calibrate the windows so they don't hit the frame of the car when I open it. I have ripples in the trim molding around the pillars and in the trunk. Some of the doors are not aligned and have gaps. The tech said, I know and proceeded to tell me that all the money went into the powertrain. :) Sounds about right.

Sold this to make room in the garage for the MP3. I guess both ends of the spectrum. ;-)

IMG_0489.jpg

Agreed. I am surprised at how good the fit and finish is on the Mazda Miata. When I close the door on the Miata even with a soft top it is more solid than my Model 3. The panel gaps are perfect, molding, trim are all perfect.

I had a Tesla mobile tech come to the house to replace a 12V and I was asking him if he could calibrate the windows so they don't hit the frame of the car when I open it. I have ripples in the trim molding around the pillars and in the trunk. Some of the doors are not aligned and have gaps. The tech said, I know and proceeded to tell me that all the money went into the powertrain. :) Sounds about right.

The money wasn't only spent on Powertrains. I think Tesla just doesn't give a AF if there are production issues because they run their lines so fast.

Here's an example of what automakers have been using during assembly for the last decade. It's not for luxury automakers anymore... even a Hyundai Accent from 2013 will have better panel gaps than a Tesla because Hyundai will attempt a remedy on the line instead of just pounding out stuff to turf over to PDI or an after-sale repair with a CS/tech.

Prior to robots, there were hand-held physical tools being used. Either way the automaker just need a mechanism so that if a bad measurement is identified, someone then needs the wherewithal and time to make an adjustment. I think Tesla just stopped caring and set their tolerances super wide to make sure their line wasn't slowed down. But that also puts Tesla fit and finish somewhere below a 1990's Daewoo. Maybe a car will roll off the line looking good, but they also allow cars to roll off the end-assembly line looking like crap.

Reactions: raptor5244
The money wasn't only spent on Powertrains. I think Tesla just doesn't give a AF if there are production issues because they run their lines so fast.

Here's an example of what automakers have been using during assembly for the last decade. It's not for luxury automakers anymore... even a Hyundai Accent from 2013 will have better panel gaps than a Tesla because Hyundai will attempt a remedy on the line instead of just pounding out stuff to turf over to PDI or an after-sale repair with a CS/tech.

Prior to robots, there were hand-held physical tools being used. Either way the automaker just need a mechanism so that if a bad measurement is identified, someone then needs the wherewithal and time to make an adjustment. I think Tesla just stopped caring and set their tolerances super wide to make sure their line wasn't slowed down. But that also puts Tesla fit and finish somewhere below a 1990's Daewoo. Maybe a car will roll off the line looking good, but they also allow cars to roll off the end-assembly line looking like crap.
Sounds about right. I think my car was built in the tent. ;) I have been pleased with the mobile service. They scratched the crap out of my rocker panels when lowered the car off the transporter. They came right out and swap the parts in my garage. Like you said, you can tell these have not refined their assembly line processes just yet and it shows in the fit and finish but overall the car delights in many other areas so folks are willing to overlook but I think this will change as more EV competitors start to show up in the next couple years.

Who switched to a M3P from a proper sports car (i.e. BMW M3/M4, Merc C63, Caddy V, Audi RS, Vette, higher trim Stang/Camaro, etc)?
lmao that a bmw M3/4 or C63 are 'sports cars' anyhow.

All of those are road cars. If you were making a car for racing you wouldnt even be close to any of those (perhaps outside the c8).

They are all performance road cars, just like the model 3 is.

As for build - Fremont is an old make do bargain factory to get going.

China cars dont have the same issues. because they are made with the same precision any other car is made with on modern up to date machinery

Reactions: Dolemite
Sounds about right. I think my car was built in the tent. ;) I have been pleased with the mobile service. They scratched the crap out of my rocker panels when lowered the car off the transporter. They came right out and swap the parts in my garage. Like you said, you can tell these have not refined their assembly line processes just yet and it shows in the fit and finish but overall the car delights in many other areas so folks are willing to overlook but I think this will change as more EV competitors start to show up in the next couple years.

Yeah, it's a double edge sword for Tesla. If they slow down their line, then they sell fewer vehicles and the backlog goes to 26 weeks instead of 13 weeks. Plus Elon's stock price would crash.

From what I understand, Tesla's assembly is actually world class. Fastest line in the world, making the most sophisticated cars in the world. With some of the most impressive stamping/casting and very optimal logistics out of Fremont. It's just they don't care about fit and finish. Which is probably the most frustrating part of seeing their cars, because it'd be like getting a Rolex with a link on the band that is crooked. Like come on... it's so close to being a top-end car hah.

lmao that a bmw M3/4 or C63 are 'sports cars' anyhow.

All of those are road cars. If you were making a car for racing you wouldnt even be close to any of those (perhaps outside the c8).

They are all performance road cars, just like the model 3 is.

As for build - Fremont is an old make do bargain factory to get going.

China cars dont have the same issues. because they are made with the same precision any other car is made with on modern up to date machinery
Wasn’t the point of OP’s question to compare the M3P to performance road cars? I don’t see where he mentions anything about race cars, unless I missed something. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Apone
I switched from a C7 Grand Sport M7 to an M3P. The Tesla is obviously the better daily driver but I miss the driving engagement you from the Corvette when I was in the mood to simply drive. I had the Tesla for 2 years and just sold it and got another Miata ND. The Miata is just fun, simple as that. Relatively inexpensive to operate, maintain, mod, etc. 2300lbs, top down, slick 6 speed manual and you can actually rip through a couple gears without risking jail time.

I switched from a stage 2 Audi S5 DSG coupe to an M3P. I have not had the car long enough to make a truly informed reply but thus far it has exceeded my expectations. Acceleration is simply brutally fast compared to the S5 (or my previous Corvette, Mustang or BMW M3), but I find the handling to be better balanced as well. I know the S5 is notorious for terminal understeer but my S5 has the active rear diff with the ability to overdrive the outside rear wheel and with sport pilots its glued to the ground. I have not had time to take the M3P to the track yet but on my back woods haunts I can edge out my S5 speeds. When you add in the instant power, one footed driving and fantastic infotainment system and safety features I don't miss my Audi at all. The overall quality of the interior is higher on the Audi but the Tesla is no slouch. I am still probing the limits of the chassis so far I am really surprised at how good this car is. For the 99% of the time I am commuting or traveling I enjoy it a great deal more.
Currently have an S5 and looking to get into a M3P mainly for the savings I’m fuel costs. I currently drive 90 miles round trip for work and costs/maintenance alone seems like making the switch is a no brainer. Thanks for the post

I came from a 2009 Boxster a couple of GTI's, and a C5 Corvette (only used for autocross). I have a model 3 stealth now and can say that in stock form, it feels responsive due to the low center of gravity (reminds me of my Boxster). The ride reminds me of the GTI only a little softer/cushier, and the power reminds me of all of the above cars combined.

With the performance changes I have made - Mountain Pass Performance coil overs (performance), and front/rear camber arms, the car feels like a true sports car. Yes it is still bigger/heavier than the cars above, but with the proper tires and those modifications, it definitely has an edge to it that it did not have before. I think the spherical bearings in the above components have also helped with "feel" (I would rate it #2 in the very subjective category of "feel" only to Boxster above). I fully believe (and am planning to!) that lower control arm bearings, toe arm bearings, etc. would further contribute to more feel.