Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most likely changes would be interior, minor exterior and if we are really lucky, the new 4680 cells. An X with 450 miles of range, no fit and finish issues, and a four year warranty.......sign me up!

I am signed up! What We are getting, only Tesla knows, right? FWDs should not change, as final work most of the time, right? Don't care about chrome, think it looks better WITH, but that is just me. Afraid going to the single, minimal hor screen, not a fan. Again an opinion. (honestly, when PERSON driving, going through menus on ANY car is dangerous. Real, tactical buttons are safest for commonly used things HVAC, Radio, wipers, cruise control. Minimal is not best. If I want minimal, I can take my 55 Chevy out.)

450 miles, PPLAWEEEESE! Main reason I didn't order in Nov when I could have got 'old, trusty X'. Just an edge case here but going to our cabin in winter would be SO much easier with another 25 miles of REAL WINTER range. Need 225 REAL WINTER miles, -20 F at 62MPH. Heat Pump, plus 4680s and if get that 13% range boost hinted to on Battery day, as we are set.

Last edited:
While overall I agree from the perspective of the competition for the CyberTruck and probably the Semi as well, I think there's a number of people who plopped a rather enormous amount of cash down to reserve the Roadster. I can't see people who put the money down on a promise for a 2020 delivery would be happy to see it get delayed much more - at least if they want to keep high end clients happy.

I don't know where they'll produce the Roadster - perhaps that was part of the S/X line shutdown on top of maintenance? As much as I'm hopeful for a major revision to the X, I'm not going to hold my breath but will remain hopeful. Given that there were a number of improvements in the 2021 model year, I have trouble reconciling a major change so soon thereafter.
Elon told Joe Rogan that Roadster is after CT and Semi. So 2022 at the earliest.
Tesla Roadster delayed, Elon Musk says

I doubt the Roadster will have a "line". I expect them to be hand built. Probably in Fremont as there may not be a paint booth there (not required for the CT :p).

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
I'm curious. For those of you who have pre-ordered - what is your rationale?

Are you doing it because:
  1. you're excited by the prospect of the changes?
  2. you're expecting a price change? (locking in the current price)
  3. you're expecting delays in receiving it?
  4. situational: current car broken/damaged, lease ending, in need of a new car, or just planned it beforehand and it's time is circumstantial?
  5. you just want it
  6. of something else
I'm asking because I'm contemplating an order but I'm on the fence and these are some of the questions I've got right now.

4. situational: current car broken/damaged, lease ending, in need of a new car, or just planned it beforehand and it's time is circumstantial?
  5. you just want it
  6. of something else
I'm asking because I'm contemplating an order but I'm on the fence and these are some of the questions I've got right now.

Mostly number 2...

In fact, given Tesla's track record on fresh production lines, I see a significant risk of quality issues in taking delivery of a new model before production line kinks are worked out. However, with Tesla living on the edge is sorta par for the course...

5. you just want it
  6. of something else

1 & 2. Just took delivery a month ago of a 21MXLR. Want the option on a newer one if the upgrades are significant (especially heat pump which is amazing on my MY) and want to lock in price. $100 is a small amount in the scheme for the option of trading up.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
1 & 2. Just took delivery a month ago of a 21MXLR. Want the option on a newer one if the upgrades are significant (especially heat pump which is amazing on my MY) and want to lock in price. $100 is a small amount in the scheme for the option of trading up.

On the surface I get this, but what is the true “cost” of trading up? Would the intent to be to trade in the 21MXLR? Guessing that’ll be a $20k minimum hit right there from what was paid to trade in value, not to mention if you are in a state with sales tax, that has already been paid as well. So by my rough calculation, because I was thinking I’d consider the same with my 20MXLR if by some miracle something amazing turned up in a few months and not subject to the first release growing pains, I was figuring it would be about a $30k hit to “trade up” assuming any new one coming out would be similar price. Am I missing something besides the option of going through the hassle of selling privately to get more than trade in?

• Love
Reactions: tierneyalvin
AND that one item that shows drone shots of three vehicles under covers at Fremont factory seems to include one with the characteristic high tail of the MX. So now i do expect significant exterior changes for MX.

I’m going to laugh my tail off if the major changes turn out to be the reintroduction of obsidian black paint. LOL

All seriousness, I’m curious what’s coming. We’ll know soon.

AND that one item that shows drone shots of three vehicles under covers at Fremont factory seems to include one with the characteristic high tail of the MX. So now i do expect significant exterior changes for MX.

To me it looks like none of them have doors, which would mean the X does not have wings, because the fabric does not fall into the FWD apertures.

• Informative
Reactions: tierneyalvin

5. you just want it
  6. of something else

4 for me. Lease ending. But I feel like I hit the refresh jackpot.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
On the surface I get this, but what is the true “cost” of trading up? Would the intent to be to trade in the 21MXLR? Guessing that’ll be a $20k minimum hit right there from what was paid to trade in value, not to mention if you are in a state with sales tax, that has already been paid as well. So by my rough calculation, because I was thinking I’d consider the same with my 20MXLR if by some miracle something amazing turned up in a few months and not subject to the first release growing pains, I was figuring it would be about a $30k hit to “trade up” assuming any new one coming out would be similar price. Am I missing something besides the option of going through the hassle of selling privately to get more than trade in?

Oh, I'd sell privately for sure. Trading in is generally a terrible deal (though, I'll still get a quote from TSLA as trade in helps on sales tax obvs.). Yeah, total hit will be $15-20k, for sure. Not 30. But the hit on selling my MX could also be far less: there are TSLA owners out there who strongly prefer the vertical screen and will pay to have a new example of the last implementation of that (assuming that's part of the refresh). I only have 2k miles on it if anyone here is interested :)

Reactions: andrewdtran
Oh, I'd sell privately for sure. Trading in is generally a terrible deal (though, I'll still get a quote from TSLA as trade in helps on sales tax obvs.). Yeah, total hit will be $15-20k, for sure. Not 30. But the hit on selling my MX could also be far less: there are TSLA owners out there who strongly prefer the vertical screen and will pay to have a new example of the last implementation of that (assuming that's part of the refresh). I only have 2k miles on it if anyone here is interested :)

Ah, your trade in helps with sales tax there, lucky, not so in CA. Yea my hope is that resale would still remain high enough for the “old” MX going to people that prefer the original features... I just despise the process of selling privately, does usually make for some good stories though.

I'm an addict...I'm placing an order now for an X. I have an existing 7-seat model Y performance order that I'm not sure what is going to happen to it, but I'm going to throw $100 away on a gamble now and order a 7-seat model X and hope that I lock in some kind of savings for it.
Same. I've got a Y reservation that I'd been holding to find out about the 7 seat version and now I've got a X reservation hoping that it really is a refresh.