Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 - 2022 has been running 2022.36.20 FSD and for a while phantom braking was doing better but now on a stretch of 200mile highway I can expect it to do it randomly about twice. Most of the time I’m looking out the rear view to make sure someone is not behind me but if they are I have my foot on the gas. This is a dangerous problem and probably the most important one at this point. It abruptly slows me from like 75-50 before I can hit the gas. I’ve found that putting the accelerator on chill mode helps a lot as it keeps you from slamming people back when you hit the gas.

I finally caught a phantom braking event on camera. Note how the Max speed setting changes all on it's own...😲
It drops to 60 without me doing anything and the car brakes pretty sharply. Then goes back up to 65
I wonder if it thought you were taking the ramp or because you were near that ramp. Per the manual Tesla TACC will adjust the cruising speed when entering or exiting curves. It also states "Due to limitations inherent in the onboard GPS (Global Positioning System), you may experience situations in which Model Y slows down, especially near exits or off-ramps where a curve is detected"

Regardless it shouldn't be happening.

Reactions: karituba
A pro-active approach is to rest your foot lightly on the accelerator. Then gently press the accelerator when the phantom braking starts.

Yeah, everyone should train themselves to reflexively accelerate when the car wants to brake. I cannot think of any way that could possibly go wrong.

Or, wild thought, tesla could try eating a slice of humble pie, admitting they're wrong, and work to fix these issues before going back to the lie parade that is "FSD".

Yeah, everyone should train themselves to reflexively accelerate when the car wants to brake. I cannot think of any way that could possibly go wrong.

Or, wild thought, tesla could try eating a slice of humble pie, admitting they're wrong, and work to fix these issues before going back to the lie parade that is "FSD".
From the other Autonomous car thread, even a L4 car like Cruise that is loaded with sensors, phantom brakes, so this problem does not appear easily solvable anytime soon unless Tesla gives up on reacting to most stimuli.

As for not working on FSD, that actually is their only path to solving this issue (with things like the occupancy network they developed for it). When they move to single stack, hopefully a lot of these problems fixed. Currently even for those on FSD Beta, it uses the old AP stack when on the highway.

Reactions: laservet
Just to clarify, I do have enhanced autopilot, had TACC engaged and it worked flawlessly until then. I suspect that in such heavy traffic it detected a perceived threat and immediately stopped the vehicle. I should also note it was right around dusk so the sun was at a blinding angle as well, perhaps that could also be a factor. Will let you know what Tesla’s diagnosis is whenever they get around to looking at it. At least they have provided a loaner for me, although it’s a model 3, not the Y I purchased.

Yes, I have experienced this since November 2022. I am always at the latest version. I think it slows down when next lane cars are much slower than mine. The right end lane often for trucks runs 60 to 65, and I am on the next lane driving upto 75, it sure slows down and breaks until my car matches to the car on my right side. So dangerous!!!!!! Because car behind me can hit me through! And confuses other cars!!!!When are they going to fix this issue????Anyone heard from Tesla???

Yes, I have experienced this since November 2022. I am always at the latest version. I think it slows down when next lane cars are much slower than mine. The right end lane often for trucks runs 60 to 65, and I am on the next lane driving upto 75, it sure slows down and breaks until my car matches to the car on my right side. So dangerous!!!!!! Because car behind me can hit me through! And confuses other cars!!!!When are they going to fix this issue????Anyone heard from Tesla???
If you take a few minutes and scan through this forum, you'll find tens of threads about this issue. It is not new, has gotten better and worse at various times and I am sure that Tesla is certainly 'aware' of it. Obviously, it is not a simple fix as they would have fixed it already if it was.

A pro-active approach is to rest your foot lightly on the accelerator. Then gently press the accelerator when the phantom braking starts.

Depending on the weather and the angle of the sun I've noticed spates of phantom braking events in the desert that seemed to be caused by mirages. I haven't had much phantom braking recently but when I did I could usually find the cause and then be prepared to gently press the accelerator when I see a situation that might cause phantom braking.
I’m old enough to remember when the entire point of cruise control was so that you didn’t need to keep your foot on the accelerator.

I’m old enough to remember when the entire point of cruise control was so that you didn’t need to keep your foot on the accelerator.
I agree. Might a well be driving at that point. My approach is to set the AP and rest my hands on my lap directly below the wheel, which allows me to quickly disengage AP if the need arises. Out of habit, I’m always ready at moments notice to take full control of the vehicle should something go awry. For the most part I’m relaxed but always alert.

Last edited by a moderator:
My worst phantom braking frequency happens on desert type highways in the day time. Two things have contributed. One is Fsd will interpret mirages as an oncoming car, and two shadows across my lane from larger vehicles coming also results in significant braking. I am on 2022.45.25.5 M3 LR Dual Motor. Thanks for the chill mode tip. The remedy is rapid pedal push. Chill will help reduce neck strain on passengers.

It has improved over various updates but still not solved.

Reactions: BitJam
Picked up my new 2023 MYLR on Friday and didn’t even make it home before encountering a sudden phantom braking event which caused the car to go from about 45 mph to zero in seconds. I was in the middle lane of a three lane road during rush hour with vehicles all around me, amazing I wasn’t rear ended. Worse yet, the car shut down and wouldn’t go back into drive. I contacted Tesla roadside service, but the only help they could provide was to send a flatbed and have it towed to the local Tesla Service Center. I waited an hour and 45 minutes in the middle of rush hour traffic for the tow company to arrive, terrified I would get rear ended. While waiting I did some research and reset the computer several times, to no avail. I purchased the Enhanced Autopilot for the advanced autopilot navigation features, and now I’ll be afraid to use them, or TACC for that matter. I’m extremely disappointed.
Just got my MYLR back from the service center. It wasn’t phantom braking, but a failure of the rear drive unit, which has now been replaced.

I've completely abandoned using autopilot on my local freeway system in Orange County. I got so tired of driving along in traffic going 60-70mph and then having the car suddenly brake hard for no reason which in turn forces the dude behind me in a massive F-350 to jam on his brakes, wondering what the hell is wrong with me! Inevitably, he whips around me with a honk and a waving middle finger. It seems the car just cannot handle black asphalt patches or large shadows without thinking they are actually 3-D objects with hard corners. Once out of the urban environment the car seems to become less anxious - but if autopilot is this unreliable how can full self-driving ever hope to succeed?

I've completely abandoned using autopilot on my local freeway system in Orange County. I got so tired of driving along in traffic going 60-70mph and then having the car suddenly brake hard for no reason which in turn forces the dude behind me in a massive F-350 to jam on his brakes, wondering what the hell is wrong with me! Inevitably, he whips around me with a honk and a waving middle finger. It seems the car just cannot handle black asphalt patches or large shadows without thinking they are actually 3-D objects with hard corners. Once out of the urban environment the car seems to become less anxious - but if autopilot is this unreliable how can full self-driving ever hope to succeed?
Keep in mind that FSD Beta is using an entirely different stack of code. What it can do and what AP can do can't be reconciled. FSD Beta and Hwy AP stacks are supposed to be merged soon and that may have benefits for regular highway AP. When FSD-Beta goes onto highways it switches to regular Hwy code and performance is marginal. But if they can use the FSD beta code on highways that could make a big difference.

Unless this only improves FSD Beta hwy performance and non-FSD is left on the old hwy AP code?

In terms of technological development as it relates to the FSD capability, I’d say we’re still only at the early stages of its development and implementation (on the grand scheme of things), and if we’re to consider the concepts of continuous delivery and continuous improvement over time, it stands to reason that the technology will eventually mature to a point where it is more reliable as developers learn more about the nuances that trigger PB and develop solutions to mitigate occurrences and reduce risks. However, that will require more data collection and time. I think we are all anxious to see the system work with minimal flaws, and human experience combined with ingenuity should eventually get us there.

Happen to me twice today on the interstate. The car set on autopilot at 65 MPH, and the car slows down about 20 mph quickly, then slowly speeds up back to 65 MPH with no cars in front

Interesting. My 2020 DM LR had phantom braking, one or two episodes on my 20 mile trip to work, one or two on the way home, every single day. One appeared to be location specific, odd because that location was straight, flat interstate with no bridges or overpasses. Many occurred while overtaking an 18 wheeler in an adjacent lane on the interstate, but some without another vehicle in sight. It seemed to increase in frequency in general until the beginning of this year when phantom braking just disappeared, gone, zero. Currently on 2022.36.20 w FSD which I use for all of my interstate driving and half my time on other roads. Not sure why it just went away but I’ll take it!
It’s back! After a year of no pb, it happened three times on one 20 mile drive last week. Traffic was heavy during the first two so I intervened with the accelerator to limit the drop in speed to 10 mph (75 to 65). I had room behind me for the third and finally intervened when it hit 19 mph in a few seconds, fairly hard deceleration. The lack of change in rate of deceleration suggested strongly it was going to full stop on the interstate but I chickened out due to traffic behind me. No episodes since. Hmmm...

Edit: updated recently to 2022.44.30.5 running FSD.

I'm in OC as well and have been using AP regularly on rush hour runs out to Ontario, using HOV lanes and dealing with traffic jams, stop&go lines, construction zones and I guess I've been lucky. On those 405/55/57/10 runs I've had just one minor phantom braking incident. Not using beta Autosteer, just standard TACC.