Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today on FSD I had a phantom breaking incident so abrupt it make my wife scream. No other cars were near so it wasn't dangerous but there was nothing I could see to cause the incident. It's one of the biggest flaws with Tesla automation and they don't seem to able to fix it.
yeah.. when you go from 83mph down to 40mph on a wide open interstate -within seconds and out of the blue - it definitely gets your attention....

Reactions: enemji
Is there any more info from the car that stopped in a tunnel in CA and caused a pileup? People were claiming it was phantom braking or FSD but the available data didn’t fit with that.
Well, I have never seen it, although it might exist. But given the number of complaints we hear, it would be the exception that proves the rule.

Mind you, I am completely open to whatever scientific data is out there.

I see you’ve had a 2018 Tesla and now a 2020. Do you see any difference in number of phantom braking events? I’m trying to determine if the older US sensors in the 2019 are worth keeping the car a bit longer. I seldom have phantom braking, and really want to keep it that way.
We stopped using FSD a year ago. Don’t trust it and not taking any chances with getting rear ended.

FSD has been great since single stack, my only complaint is there is no way to completely disable all lange changes other than just not using the built in nav. The Minimal lange changes option helps, but i've still had it randomly decide to try and get to the other side of the freeway for no apparent reason.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
pull the stalk twice for FSD, once for TACC, Duh! 🤪

I assume your question is because you're assuming TACC to be an integral part of FSD. IME, the two behave differently when it comes to phantom braking so there are cases where I'm using FSD and it won't brake while it does if I'm only on TACC.
Sort of. I have assumed when FSD is enabled with a ”stalk twice” maneuver that it enabled TACC by default, i.e., FSD is impossible without TACC. I’m wrong? Interesting that you have different behaviors with one over the other. For me, they behave identically wrt phantom braking.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Sort of. I have assumed when FSD is enabled with a ”stalk twice” maneuver that it enabled TACC by default, i.e., FSD is impossible without TACC. I’m wrong? Interesting that you have different behaviors with one over the other. For me, they behave identically wrt phantom braking.
I think before they merged the software stacks FSD was completely separate from AP and TACC so there well could have been differences. If the code used for TACC is now the same as what they use for FSD then I'd expect the behavior to be identical. I use plain TACC pretty infrequently these days so I can't speak to the current behavior as much.