Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

many people in the Bay Area have received their Model 3 VINs while waiting for delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oct 11th LR AWD - have no info regarding delivery. Everyone I call at Tesla tells different story. I'm assuming that it won't be coming until 2nd half of December.

This delivery process is all so odd. I'd expect that with all their automation and computer systems that Tesla will know everything, especially this close to end of year. Apparently not.

Ordered LR AWD gray exterior / black interior on November 7th

I was contacted by someone the day after the order from Telsa finance; other than that I have not been contacted at all; not sure if I even have a SA?

Website shows

> We are drafting up your contract and will contact you when you can make your final payment.

No VIN yet

My expectation is anyone picking up vehicles from Fremont will be as late as possible in the year, but who knows.

Ordered 10/23 SR+ White/Black 19" no FSD

no VIN or delivery date yet.

I've completed the trade-in&finance weeks ago.
But was contacted from my SA last Friday to send her a picture of my current car odometer for trade in process and haven't heard back since.

I was contacted by someone the day after the order from Telsa finance; other than that I have not been contacted at all; not sure if I even have a SA?

Website shows

> We are drafting up your contract and will contact you when you can make your final payment.

No VIN yet

My expectation is anyone picking up vehicles from Fremont will be as late as possible in the year, but who knows.

We are looking at ordering the exact same car. Hoping to get it in by the end of the year to take advantage of the tax credit/deduction on a lease.

Reactions: house9

Website shows

No VIN yet

They have been “drafting up my contract” for almost 2 months now. Their contract department sucks!

They have been “drafting up my contract” for almost 2 months now. Their contract department sucks!

I assume production of the 3 is similar to production of other Teslas. If that is correct, they make batches by region. When I bought my Model X I ordered in Feb of 2018 and received the car at the end of May. They SA I was working with was very upfront with this timeline. She said they make batches of cars for locales. A batch for the Americas (left hand drive, US specs), a batch for the Europe ( left hand drive, Europen spec, CCS, limitations on certain features), a batch for UK type countries (right hand drive, other specs, etc).

Tesla went silent until 30 days before the car was delivered and that was just because they needed information to complete the lease. We got a message 7 days before the actual pickup to come get the car. I have heard some people are only getting that message 2 days before now days.

10/16 SR+ FSD 18" Aero White/Black

Says the contract is being drafted up.

Last week I was told the 29th I'd take delivery. Now i'm told the 3rd of December. At that point it'll have been 7 weeks and we just need a car. We're probably cancelling this weekend. Huge bummer but it's the reality. We're a 1 car family living in Santa Cruz and I work in the Bay area, wife works in Scotts Valley and we have a 7 month old. We were told multiple dates through the process. Can't say i'll probably ever try to buy another Tesla after this experience. I'm all for saving the planet. But man the wait sucks.

Last week I was told the 29th I'd take delivery. Now i'm told the 3rd of December. At that point it'll have been 7 weeks and we just need a car. We're probably cancelling this weekend. Huge bummer but it's the reality. We're a 1 car family living in Santa Cruz and I work in the Bay area, wife works in Scotts Valley and we have a 7 month old. We were told multiple dates through the process. Can't say i'll probably ever try to buy another Tesla after this experience. I'm all for saving the planet. But man the wait sucks.
Just curious if you were told 6-8 weeks when you ordered on 10/16? I know we were told verbally and online 6-8 weeks when we ordered on 10/18.
Not trying to talk you out of cancelling, just that every conversation and what others posted here is the first part of December will be when Tesla will be filling a lot of domestic orders.
Of course we want to take delivery of wife's car before CA rebates go down $500 on the 3rd, but we were originally told delivery might not happen in time from initial order.

Just curious if you were told 6-8 weeks when you ordered on 10/16? I know we were told verbally and online 6-8 weeks when we ordered on 10/18.
Not trying to talk you out of cancelling, just that every conversation and what others posted here is the first part of December will be when Tesla will be filling a lot of domestic orders.
Of course we want to take delivery of wife's car before CA rebates go down $500 on the 3rd, but we were originally told delivery might not happen in time from initial order.
We were told 2-4 weeks when we did the test drive 10/11. We also have been told throughout the process it'd probably be sooner.

Also, do you have your car already? So you ordered after me, told a longer time period and you got virtually the same car? This is where i'm confused. I have to travel next week for work after Tesla missing two estimated deliveries for us and that'll put the car out even further. My point of it is I have an earlier order date, same car, and there are other factors to it for us too, and yet i'm waiting.

Also, do you have your car already? So you ordered after me, told a longer time period and you got virtually the same car?
We ordered two M3's
1st SR+ ordered on 10/8 which had a estimate delivery of 2-4 weeks. Delivery ended up 6 weeks 2 days
2nd SR+ ordered 10/18 (10 days later) with estimate delivery 6-10 weeks. No delivery or vin as of now which is almost 6 weeks.

Likely we are in a different situation as we were in no rush getting either car. Of course I would like to get the current CA rebate of $2,500 instead of $2,000 on the 2nd car but not enough to cancel the order.

But, if we also miss out on the $1,875 fed deduction at the end of the year then I might feel the same way you do.

Cheers,
John

So, you've waited six weeks for your model 3 which you ordered 10/18. You had a delivery date of 11/29 that has now been pushed to the 12/3 and you're going to cancel? Many on this forum as well as the thousands that aren't represented here would gladly take your delivery schedule. Seems silly to walk away now that you're just a couple of days from getting your car. If you really want the car, I hope you'll wait out the last couple days. Best of luck!

I ordered 10/11 - have been told every date possible, yet still have yet to receive a VIN or even a consistent date of approximate delivery. That’s the Tesla way. I’ve been waiting this long, so I’d best wait some more. I will go to the showroom tomorrow for a last ditch attempt to snag a stealth, but am not holding my breath. They’re not open today I assume.

The deal is to wait, which I will do. I did get rid of my car well over a month ago, so it’s been inconvenient as hell. I’ve got to admit, I am lining up a BMW just in case. You can get one hell of a BMW for $55K-$60K, so it won’t suck! It does make the wait without a car easier to have an alternative. It seems as if Tesla can put some people in the situation of demanding them to pick up their cars during the holiday season when they are not in town or have obligations elsewhere. There are lots of reports on this forum already of impossible pick up times, and people missing their cars.

So, you've waited six weeks for your model 3 which you ordered 10/18. You had a delivery date of 11/29 that has now been pushed to the 12/3 and you're going to cancel? Many on this forum as well as the thousands that aren't represented here would gladly take your delivery schedule. Seems silly to walk away now that you're just a couple of days from getting your car. If you really want the car, I hope you'll wait out the last couple days. Best of luck!

There is a reason that i'm far more frustrated than others. But I ordered 10/16, not 10/18. And i've had 3 dates scheduled the week prior i'm told I'd have the car by the SA.

Like I've said. We we have waited beyond when we were quoted to take delivery three times. Now i'm traveling on a new delivery date and will miss getting my car and who knows how long i'd have to wait after that point. We have a kid, and two very different commutes. We don't have the same luxury as many in that regard.

The travel is required by whom I'm buying the car from so hopefully that explains a bit.

Reactions: jonquiljo
We ordered two M3's
1st SR+ ordered on 10/8 which had a estimate delivery of 2-4 weeks. Delivery ended up 6 weeks 2 days
2nd SR+ ordered 10/18 (10 days later) with estimate delivery 6-10 weeks. No delivery or vin as of now which is almost 6 weeks.

Likely we are in a different situation as we were in no rush getting either car. Of course I would like to get the current CA rebate of $2,500 instead of $2,000 on the 2nd car but not enough to cancel the order.

But, if we also miss out on the $1,875 fed deduction at the end of the year then I might feel the same way you do.

Cheers,
John
Gotcha I missed that. Well happy you got one.

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
There is a reason that i'm far more frustrated than others. But I ordered 10/16, not 10/18. And i've had 3 dates scheduled the week prior i'm told I'd have the car by the SA.

Like I've said. We we have waited beyond when we were quoted to take delivery three times. Now i'm traveling on a new delivery date and will miss getting my car and who knows how long i'd have to wait after that point. We have a kid, and two very different commutes. We don't have the same luxury as many in that regard.

The travel is required by whom I'm buying the car from so hopefully that explains a bit.

I know the feeling somewhat as I originally ordered 10/1, was scheduled delivery for 10/9 but couldn't make it. Tesla would only deliver my car in a 2 day timeframe - so I lost it.

I then re-ordered 10/11 and am still waiting, of course. Like an idiot I got rid of my old car assuming that Tesla was really going to come through with the 2-3 week delivery date given when I re-ordered. Now I keep getting told the last 2 weeks in December- when I will not be available most of the time. If I miss delivery then, I will likely wait until March if I re-order a third time, which is why I am looking at “backup” BMW’s.

Who would have expected “late December” when ordering in early October with quoted delivery times (even by SAs) of 2-3 weeks?

When Tesla gives you 2-3 day windows to schedule a pickup appointment, they really do give your car away if you need even an extra day. With the December nut-rush, I expect that a lot of people will not be able to get to their Tesla assigned delivery dates.

It would be one thing if they would be upfront with the timeline. If you know going into it that you have a two or three month wait, you can plan accordingly while managing expectations. When they tell you 4 or 5 different estimates that keep getting further and further out is when the frustration rises. With the level of technology that Tesla embodies, why on earth is a straightforward build date followed by delivery date so uncertain?

Ordered a white/black 19” SR+ on Oct 10 (San Jose CA). After the 2 week estimate changed, my delivery ETA was Nov 19-21.

Then I changed my order to a LR. Next delivery ETA Was Dec 10-13, but that soon changed to Dec 4-7.