Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the correction, and also the work you've done on sussing out the subtleties of it.

Let us know if you find out anything else?
Absolutely! I just tried plugging it in and leaving it for 20 minutes. That was long enough to get AP and Beta back. I don't know what the minimum time required is, or if plugging it in changes the minimum time?

My guess is right now it's not the drive itself, but the act of putting the car in "Park." Later I'm going to try taking it out of Park after a sleep and then putting it right back in Park to see if that activates the bug.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
10.3 is still nerve wrecking. I will keep it Off and try again in the next update. I don't see how people can repeatedly test this. They are brave.

Also, I am very picky about driving. My wife only drove me once about 15 years ago. After that she never drove me again.
Seems a bit odd to me that, given how picky you are, you would even have FSD, let alone participate in beta testing.

Your wife must feel like **** that you are willing to give beta FSD software a whirl, but won't ride along with her if she is driving. :) Although I suppose, it may just be a testament to your wife being a REALLY, REALLY bad driver.

Well what is happening here????

IMG_9375.jpeg

Well, besides trying to sort out the AP Disabled bug, I did notice that 10.3 seems to recognize left turn lanes better and not fake over into them. At least it doesn't do that with two left turn lanes it always faked into with 10.2. It seems to do better in my neighborhood as well, but that's just an impression after a couple of minutes in the neighborhood. It still tries to go the wrong way around a traffic island in my neighborhood.

Reactions: powertoold
Well what is happening here????

View attachment 725099
I believe that is a Non-Beta software version. Edited: oops, looks like I was wrong. Sorry. Edited again: I just started that download too. Wierd, because I could swear that a lot of non-beta cars got that version last night according to TeslaScope. Just looked it up, yes, that version number has been around four days and was not Beta. And yet the release notes posted above indicate it is? WTH?

Last edited:
This fixed my AP and FSD/autosteer not working...but since they are pushing a new update right now...maybe doesn't mater.

Reactions: powertoold
I just returned from my first drive on the 10.3 Beta. Before driving I removed the USB stick. I made a 30 mile round trip, and I was never unintentionally disconnected from FSD.

Some Observations:

- For this being a Beta release, I was VERY impressed. With that said, I do live in a very rural area, and I drove it into destinations in my closest town which has a population of around 10K.
- When turning left onto a state highway, it was nearly 1 car length back from the intersection, and it started to make a very sharp left-hand turn, wanting to cross into the oncoming lane. There was no traffic, but I'm not sure whether it could have seen that to properly determine it was safe due to vegetation on the right, but perhaps it could since it's view might have been better than mine.
- It did tend to slow its speed about 3 MPH for no reason I could see while driving at about 50 MPH; however, regenerative braking was used so there was is no wear and tear on the brake pads when it does this.
- When the speed limit changes to a lower speed, the slow-down is really smooth and natural; the driver seldom can detect the reduction in speed it is so gradual. The previous AP would use regenerative braking to quickly reduce speed.
- When coming to an intersection, the car slows much more gradually than the previous AP.
- There isa particular stretch of road at an intersection that the old AP never got right; it would, for some reason, always want to turn left. The FSD handled it perfectly.
- It prefers to hug the center line, but when it sees an oncoming car, it quickly moves over to the center, and as soon as the oncoming vehicle passes, it quickly moves back near the center line.
- When existing off one highway onto another, it tends to hug the center line, even cross over the center line of the road it is turning onto- as long as it sees no oncoming traffic. When it does see a car at the intersection or an approaching vehicle, it takes the turn more aggressively, staying it its turning lane, but again, as soon as it passes that vehicle, it begins to once again hug the center line.
- There is one intersection with no lines but the road's plane separated by the intersection is located roughly 40 feet off center, such than one must perform an "S" inside the intersection in order to continue. This freaked out the FSD, as it did me the first time I drove that stretch of road trying to determine what to do! I hit the video button, but I'm not sure whether anything can be done about certain bizarre instances. If it does over time, this will be a clear sign that it is learning! HA!

Keeping in mind this software is only a Beta, I have to give it a solid "A". The fact that it can do as well as it does is amazing, performing this well in environments it has never been in before. It is such a pleasure to get to be a tiny part of this!

I will be taking it to Tampa tomorrow for a a couple of days (400 mile road trip) with roughly 50% of the trip being on Interstate. I'm looking forward to see how well it performs under those conditions!

Seems a bit odd to me that, given how picky you are, you would even have FSD, let alone participate in beta testing.

Your wife must feel like **** that you are willing to give beta FSD software a whirl, but won't ride along with her if she is driving. :) Although I suppose, it may just be a testament to your wife being a REALLY, REALLY bad driver.

I paid for the feature before what I knew what it was. My bad. She knows I don't like NoAP and I still complain about Autopilot. It does stupid stuff like speeding up when I can see 1/4 mile up that it's grid lock. Autopilot doesn't slow down on blind turns where 50/50 it could be a red light.

My wife is a bad driver. My wife scratched the rims on the curbs in both Model 3s, and they each have summer and winter sets. You can also see her on wham bam tesla cam where a semi truck changed lanes into her while she was on AP. The truck was behind her on the left and changed lanes into the side of the car. That was the 3rd time someone changed lanes into her. Once before I knew her and once we were dating. I have 360 vision (at least what I think 🤔), and keep track of all cars around me all times.

Reactions: dcesq06
I just returned from my first drive on the 10.3 Beta. Before driving I removed the USB stick. I made a 30 mile round trip, and I was never unintentionally disconnected from FSD.

Some Observations:

- For this being a Beta release, I was VERY impressed. With that said, I do live in a very rural area, and I drove it into destinations in my closest town which has a population of around 10K.
- When turning left onto a state highway, it was nearly 1 car length back from the intersection, and it started to make a very sharp left-hand turn, wanting to cross into the oncoming lane. There was no traffic, but I'm not sure whether it could have seen that to properly determine it was safe due to vegetation on the right, but perhaps it could since it's view might have been better than mine.
- It did tend to slow its speed about 3 MPH for no reason I could see while driving at about 50 MPH; however, regenerative braking was used so there was is no wear and tear on the brake pads when it does this.
- When the speed limit changes to a lower speed, the slow-down is really smooth and natural; the driver seldom can detect the reduction in speed it is so gradual. The previous AP would use regenerative braking to quickly reduce speed.
- When coming to an intersection, the car slows much more gradually than the previous AP.
- There isa particular stretch of road at an intersection that the old AP never got right; it would, for some reason, always want to turn left. The FSD handled it perfectly.
- It prefers to hug the center line, but when it sees an oncoming car, it quickly moves over to the center, and as soon as the oncoming vehicle passes, it quickly moves back near the center line.
- When existing off one highway onto another, it tends to hug the center line, even cross over the center line of the road it is turning onto- as long as it sees no oncoming traffic. When it does see a car at the intersection or an approaching vehicle, it takes the turn more aggressively, staying it its turning lane, but again, as soon as it passes that vehicle, it begins to once again hug the center line.
- There is one intersection with no lines but the road's plane separated by the intersection is located roughly 40 feet off center, such than one must perform an "S" inside the intersection in order to continue. This freaked out the FSD, as it did me the first time I drove that stretch of road trying to determine what to do! I hit the video button, but I'm not sure whether anything can be done about certain bizarre instances. If it does over time, this will be a clear sign that it is learning! HA!

Keeping in mind this software is only a Beta, I have to give it a solid "A". The fact that it can do as well as it does is amazing, performing this well in environments it has never been in before. It is such a pleasure to get to be a tiny part of this!

I will be taking it to Tampa tomorrow for a a couple of days (400 mile road trip) with roughly 50% of the trip being on Interstate. I'm looking forward to see how well it performs under those conditions!
Say Hello when you make it to Tampa! Nothing but half dressed good looking women at all of our superchargers and free unlimited charging for all Tesla's. They also have girls in bikini's that suds up your car and clean it at any supercharger location. They also serve any alcoholic beverage of your choice, again, no charge.
Wait, sorry about that, I didn't pay for the "Tampa Tesla Unlimited Fun" upgrade yet.
When I can find that extra $100, I will definitely buy it.