Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s is 100% clear that the system is NOT learning certainly not related to an individual or location, it’s not really even learning from it’s mistakes.
Yes - typically, neural networks have a training mode, where Tesla trains the network. In the car NN is just sending out results to be used by the planner. No training is happening.

Maybe it can be Tesplained someday why object recognition of any kind is needed to avoid anything. Just don't hit things.
I sure hope so. With deer, bear, fallen trees and more as occasional obstacles, I am all for not hitting things.
Which place is this ? Want to make sure I steer clear off this ...
You're about 2800 miles away so I think you can sleep easy.

According to this article there are about 12,000 Beta testers as of 10.3.
Yeah, wow. Talk about mixed messages. That article appears to be written by someone that is anti-Tesla, but whose editor is an Elon fanboi.

Didn't really even bother to talk about the fact that the "recall" was handled seamlessly with no service center visit required.

But I'm probably just reading between the lines too much.

Reactions: jebinc
I use Assertive and it doesn’t do the “California” stops for me, even in California :confused: always a complete stop
same here, Assertive (or not Creep) and it comes to complete stops, about 6 ft. before the white line parallel to the stop sign, then CREEPS up to the line and STOPS again, then start/stops/start/stop and usually needs a go peddle push to actually move away. I'm surprised at this point that some jackeroo hasn't just run straight into my back end on purpose out of sheer annoyance.

I got FSD beta last night. I waited for it to stop raining and went for a ride during my lunch hour. Does anyone have a suggest for Autopilot setting to get the best results? Such as chill acceleration combined with chill, Average, assertive? Speed offset settings. I’m thinking of setting it 5 mph below and adjust up as needed instead of down.

My experience:
-steering wheel is jerking left/right when it comes to a turn
-wanted to drive around a car stopped by a flagman because the lane wasn’t blocked.
-doesn’t end routes very gracefully. If it can’t turn into a parking lot the user needs a verbal and screen warning
-missed several turns it planned on making. This seems pretty widespread.

I got FSD beta last night. I waited for it to stop raining and went for a ride during my lunch hour. Does anyone have a suggest for Autopilot setting to get the best results? Such as chill acceleration combined with chill, Average, assertive? Speed offset settings. I’m thinking of setting it 5 mph below and adjust up as needed instead of down.

My experience:
-wanted to drive around a car stopped by a flagman because the lane wasn’t blocked.
-doesn’t end routes very gracefully. If it can’t turn into a parking lot the user needs a verbal and screen warning
-steering wheel is jerking left/right when it comes to a turn - SAME
-missed several turns it planned on making. This seems pretty widespread. - SAME, but mine just ends up dis-sngaging so a take over is required

Reactions: Phlier
Yet for some reason on unprotected lefts at a light it slows down during the turn allowing the cross traffic to approach too close. If I'm turning across three lanes of opposing traffic, it's almost crawling by the third lane. I often have to apply accelerator to prevent being hit, or worse honked at.
Yup.

It's current approach of creeping ever more slowly through unprotected lefts has caused me to lose the majority of what little hair I had remaining.

I've since gone into folicle preservation mode, and no longer allow FSD to do unprotected lefts during this software version.

Yeah, wow. Talk about mixed messages. That article appears to be written by someone that is anti-Tesla, but whose editor is an Elon fanboi.

Didn't really even bother to talk about the fact that the "recall" was handled seamlessly with no service center visit required.

But I'm probably just reading between the lines too much.
Shows what a terrible job AP does "reporting".

The agency said conversations with Tesla continue “to ensure that any safety defect is promptly acknowledged and addressed according to the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.”

Usually OEMs and NHTSA take months to act - not hours.

Reactions: jebinc and Phlier
same here, Assertive (or not Creep) and it comes to complete stops, about 6 ft. before the white line parallel to the stop sign, then CREEPS up to the line and STOPS again, then start/stops/start/stop and usually needs a go peddle push to actually move away. I'm surprised at this point that some jackeroo hasn't just run straight into my back end on purpose out of sheer annoyance.
Yep mine stops far short of the line at random too. If people are crossing sometimes it’s over a car length away from the line. It then proceeds to creep up to the line and then through the intersection so slowly that the conditions need to line up just right for it to not be in the way of other traffic. It’s like the assertive mode is broken or something

Reactions: Oil Freedom
I turned 99 a couple days ago and got the beta last night. Took it for a quick spin, more on tap today.

I know this has been brought up many times here, and I've read the posts. But I cannot get the visualization to expand. I have opted in to the beta, selected the full visualization option in the settings, have driven a couple of times with/without FSD navigation on, and my music controls are fully minimized. The only thing on the bottom of the screen is the main menu.

Is this something that turns on after awhile? What am I missing?

My experience:
It's very difficult to suggest settings, as it's a very subjective thing. Try them all and see what fits you best.

If it's any consolation, your experiences are what all of us have had, with quite a few left for you to experience in the future. :)

Prior to FSD Beta, I had my speed offset set to 5, but I've since switched to 0. But again, just a personal preference thing.

Reactions: jebinc
I turned 99 a couple days ago and got the beta last night. Took it for a quick spin, more on tap today.

I know this has been brought up many times here, and I've read the posts. But I cannot get the visualization to expand. I have opted in to the beta, selected the full visualization option in the settings, have driven a couple of times with/without FSD navigation on, and my music controls are fully minimized. The only thing on the bottom of the screen is the main menu.

Make sure your navigation window is only showing the very next planned maneuver. If it is being displayed as a list of planned turns, that, too, will minimize your visuals.

Reactions: jebinc and dandrewk

Make sure the music bar is all the way off the screen. That was what was blocking my visualization from expanding at first.

Exactly. Yet zero credit is given. <sigh>
What NHTSA is used to is
- People start reporting issues
- After months, NHTSA sends a letter to OEM
- OEM gives vague answers to NHTSA, after a month
- More people report issues to NHTSA
- OEM settles with some people in secret
- More people report issues to NHTSA
- NHTSA starts talking to OEM in earnest saying the issue can no longer be brushed under the carpet
- OEM and NHTSA negotiate a fix and recall schedule over next several months
- OEM sends letter to customers about the recall, asking them to expect a letter about when the customer can get the fix
- After several months, OEMs send a letter to the customers that they can schedule a fix at the dealer
- Customers call dealers and are given a date that is weeks or months away
- Customer forgets about the fix

NHTSA is just angry that Tesla is not following this process.