Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife still seems to do some sort of math or calculation in her head when I say "noon thirty" to mean 12:30 PM. When she asks me what time it is (minded she too is apple watch wearer with iphone, etc.) If I say something like "its twenty-two ten" I get it, she's taking 22 and subtracts 8 and then adds 2 and then subtracts 6 to get the hour, probably then looks outside and see's that it's dark, and then the TEN is about 1/6 of an hour so it's probably around 10:15 PM right?

At least this is how it looks from the outside what is going on on the inside.. I could be wrong though. ;-)
Wait a minute. I thought anyone that lives in Palo Alto is never wrong? My twin sister lives there and she's almost never wrong? But help me out here? Why subtract 8, then add 2 and then subtract 6? Looks to me that it would be numerically more manageable to simply subtract 12?

Still waiting on 10.4 here and I was in the very first batch for FSD beta. 2020 M3 SR+

I guess this is just part of the staggering they're doing now?
Yes - a slow release.

345/(345+1115) have 10.4 now. If we assume that is about 10% of the actual numbers - they have rolled out to 3,450 cars in 12(?) 17+ hours - slower than planned 1k/hour.

ps : Rollout started at 5:00 PM PST yesterday.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Wait a minute. I thought anyone that lives in Palo Alto is never wrong? My twin sister lives there and she's almost never wrong? But help me out here? Why subtract 8, then add 2 and then subtract 6? Looks to me that it would be numerically more manageable to simply subtract 12?
One would think so for sure, but what I've learned is that at Stanford they teach some very SILLY math so who knows why one would take such a long route to get to 10 from 22..

(I was kidding here actually in the prior post, I was just trying to imply that after 18 years together and my sometimes quirky delivery of time - often when tired and regressing - the apparent inability to line up 11 additional two digit numbers with post "noon" hours still takes just a little bit of unexpected additional time.) I think it's good though, I mean she doesn't do Sudoku, so I think this type of frequent brain teaser/exercise is going to prove beneficial as the years accumulate. ;-)

So does a day begin at D-1 2400, or D at 0000 hours? We've seen in healthcare applications different interpretations for identifying midnight, and integrating these is a major PIA (and confusing to users!).

OPINION: Does anyone disagree that the date changes precisely at midnight? It seems anomalous to use "24xx" from prior date for that first hour of the calendar day. A day should run from 0000:00 - 2359:59, which makes more logical sense. I suppose one could argue that 0000:01 - 2400:00 makes sense, but that makes an exception to what an hour on a given day means.
you'll find no objection here. ;-)

So does a day begin at D-1 2400, or D at 0000 hours? We've seen in healthcare applications different interpretations for identifying midnight, and integrating these is a major PIA (and confusing to users!).

OPINION: Does anyone disagree that the date changes precisely at midnight? It seems anomalous to use "24xx" from prior date for that first hour of the calendar day. A day should run from 0000:00 - 2359:59, which makes more logical sense. I suppose one could argue that 0000:01 - 2400:00 makes sense, but that makes an exception to what an hour on a given day means.
2400 and 0000 are the same instant in time. Anything after 0000 no matter how fine the resolution is the next day. 0000 + epsilon as epsilon approaches zero. Likewise, anything less than 2400 no matter the resolution is yesterday. It's like noon. It's neither a.m. nor p.m. It's m.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: EVNow
One would think so for sure, but what I've learned is that at Stanford they teach some very SILLY math so who knows why one would take such a long route to get to 10 from 22..

(I was kidding here actually in the prior post, I was just trying to imply that after 18 years together and my sometimes quirky delivery of time - often when tired and regressing - the apparent inability to line up 11 additional two digit numbers with post "noon" hours still takes just a little bit of unexpected additional time.) I think it's good though, I mean she doesn't do Sudoku, so I think this type of frequent brain teaser/exercise is going to prove beneficial as the years accumulate. ;-)
Well, my twin sister used to work at Stanford (PhD in linguistics, so speech recognition) and only lives a little over a mile from there so she can probably discern the post noon hours by osmosis or telepathy, so have your wife call her to find out what time it is and save yourself some consternation and time so the years don't accumulate too quickly?

I think we should switch time to a metric system and make it universal with no arbitrarily/politically divided zones.

Of course we ......... Americans can't even get fully onboard with the science systems now anyway and live in this ½ Metric ½ Imperial hell.

Now could I please get 10.4 before 10.5 releases.:oops:
Yes, measuring time in meters would certainly help.

you'll find no objection here. ;-)
I have an objection with that logic? We all know there are exactly 24 hours in a day? So a day starts at 24:00:00 (midnight) and ends at 24:00:00 (midnight), at which time another day starts. Since there is no such time as 24:00:01, as the first second ticks off in the new day, it is designated as 00:00:01 and if a day were to run from either 00:00:01 to 24:00:00 or 00:00:00 to 23:59:59, those days would be 23 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds long?

Still no 10.4 here.

I'd tell you as of what time, but I seem to be in the middle of an existential crisis, as I'm currently not able to determine what time it is, or whether or not it's day, night, or morning.

Regardless, I'll let you know when it finally arrives, even if it happens to be yesterday. Which seems more likely, at this point.

"Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Still no 10.4 here.

I'd tell you as of what time, but I seem to be in the middle of an existential crisis, as I'm currently not able to determine what time it is, or whether or not it's day, night, or morning.

Regardless, I'll let you know when it finally arrives, even if it happens to be yesterday. Which seems more likely, at this point.

"Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra
You'll feel differently about this yesterday.

• Funny
Reactions: old pilot
Yes, measuring time in meters would certainly help.
Nope, feet and inches just to add more confusion.
I have an objection with that logic? We all know there are exactly 24 hours in a day? So a day starts at 24:00:00 (midnight) and ends at 24:00:00 (midnight), at which time another day starts. Since there is no such time as 24:00:01, as the first second ticks off in the new day, it is designated as 00:00:01 and if a day were to run from either 00:00:01 to 24:00:00 or 00:00:00 to 23:59:59, those days would be 23 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds long?
Think back to the concept of a base number (here, zero). 0:00:00 is midnight. If you were stating that 00:01 - 23:59 is only 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 59 seconds that is correct. But that ignores the fact that a "midnight minute" is indeed a countable minute of time.

Last night/early morning ~20 snapshot usage seems to have resulted in 1.2GB of upload, which assuming ~400MB per clip was only 3 recordings sent back. This morning had ~10 snapshots uploading ~1.6GB would then maybe be 4 recordings? Unless they changed what gets uploaded as part of FSD Beta 10.4 to be smarter in how much actually needs to be saved.

In terms of smartness of automatic snapshot triggers, Tesla should really consider having a "WTF are you doing" detection of other drivers facing you as I definitely got a face and arms up when the car was heading towards oncoming traffic for a left turn this trip.

I also encountered FSD Beta swerving for animals although I'm not sure if it did the right behavior here:
geese.jpg

It did cross over the yellow line and drove in the center for a little bit (I had already dropped it down to 5mph), but maybe it didn't actually detect the geese in the shadows? Not sure if some got rendered as dogs, which I did see for a person walking a dog today as well as previously for an autonomous delivery robot.