Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One improvement I noticed - the car went into the middle middle lane and waited before turning into the stripmall. Happened to anyone else ?

I remember discussing this with 10.1 - the car wouldn't do it.

@Phlier

ps :

View attachment 738697
So I’m currently out running 10.5 through the wringer.

Pulled over for a sec to respond to this post.

As of now, 10.5 has successfully executed three unprotected left turns, using the turning (or “suicide”) lane correctly.

10.5 is such an enigma. In some places its performance is stunning, yet in other places you would think were equivalently easy, it’s stunningly bad.

Oh, one other thing…

Apparently, my new phone mount for taking videos is visible to the cabin camera, and I’m constantly getting “pay attention“ alerts.

10.5 appears to have separated the nags. It used to be that you would get the “apply slight turning force to steering wheel“ nag regardless of what triggered the nag… the wheel or the cabin camera.

As of 10.5, if the cabin camera trips the nag, you immediately get two ding sounds and a “pay attention” dialog.

I don’t ever get steering wheel nags, as I constantly “ghost steer” the car when FSD is driving.

I've had exactly that issue. The car kept trying to turn left onto every side road, I didn't realize why until I turned off AP and looked at the Nav - it was showing me on the other side of town. I tried again and Nav would say "Turn left in 34th street", but that was over 2 miles away.
I sent a picture to support that showed me driving on the interstate, but the nav showed me almost 3 miles away on a side street.
Only started happening since getting FSD Beta
I don't know what to do recalibrations only last about a day before it goes off again. What did support tell you to do?

I've had exactly that issue. The car kept trying to turn left onto every side road, I didn't realize why until I turned off AP and looked at the Nav - it was showing me on the other side of town. I tried again and Nav would say "Turn left in 34th street", but that was over 2 miles away.
I sent a picture to support that showed me driving on the interstate, but the nav showed me almost 3 miles away on a side street.
Only started happening since getting FSD Beta
I’ve also had this issue frequently since 10.2.

It‘s a bit of a pain, but the following work around has successfully updated the GPS location every time….

Menu-Safety & Security-Power Off

Set a two minute timer, then tap the brake.

The double scroll wheel reset is hit and miss, but Power Off has worked every time. So far, at least.

Since FSD is risk averse, it will always be effectively tolerant and understanding -- because its prime directive is to avoid damage and injury. So, cars driven by meat computers will always be able to bully those driven by silicon computers.
You would think so ...

From above ...

All this in "Chill" mode I guess ?​
In aggressive mode - it would push the car in front away and then turn.​
BTW, today in a school zone - when waiting for traffic to clear, the car wanted to cross the yellow line & go on the left hand side.​
vlcsnap-2021-11-29-11h47m04s141.png

I don't know what to do recalibrations only last about a day before it goes off again. What did support tell you to do?
After my last calibration I reset the display and then cycled powered off/on. Tech Support suggested these 3 steps but were clear there was no guarantee it would address any FSD problems I was having. It does seem to have stabilized 10.5 somewhat but that could also just be wishful thinking.

10.5 continues being a mixed bag for me. The disengagements are rare, but that’s been since 10.4, and I’m not sure it’s because I’m more familiar with FSD or actual improvements. However I do feel the driving comfortableness has been vastly degenerated for me.

1. Way more phantom brakings than 10.4, and even on highway with NOA. Even small slowdowns seemed more aggressive, and I had a few big bad ones when next to slightly larger vehicles on highway.

2. The other annoyance is the DMS. It never bothered me before as long as I put a lazy arm on the wheel, but now it seems the logic has changed. This morning when I was driving facing the sun, I got constant beep warning even I applied the usual torque on the wheel. I figured it was due to the flawed DMS couldn’t detect my eyes behind my glasses with sunlight reflection. As soon as, and only when I put the vizor down the beeping stopped. If I didn’t figure it out in time, I would have surely received my first strike just because of this stupid bug.

This and the point 1 give me the impression the beta is now paranoid to avoid accidents( only the ones beta car at fault, who cares about being rear ended, it’s the following cars’ problem /s), and eager to kick testers out.

3. All those abrupt reactions, why? Running 5mph and sees pedestrians 10 yards away, sudden brakes to full stop. Can’t see beyond upslope 50 yards away, sudden brake and shake the passengers like rag dolls. In all of these cases the car was aware of the rough whereabouts of the obstacles or uncertainties, even those false positives that causing phantom brakes, why can’t it handle it a bit more smoothly?

4. In one case car tried to do left turn from a parking lot into a 35mph road, while a big truck parked on the left and blocked the view of the crossing traffics. Car creeped into the road but still not far enough to see what’s coming from the left. Then a car did come and the Tesla immediately reversed a foot or two. First time auto reverse for me, while it was completely unnecessary (not even the nose of my car had passed the parking truck). I noticed the car was still in “drive” (blue D) during reserving so it was definitely a weird sensation. After the car passed, my car immediately committed to turn even it couldn’t see what’s behind the truck, so disengaged.

Now go and clean my cameras neurotically.

Last edited:
Yeah, the FSD Beta isn't yet good at telling the difference between a parked car and a lead car waiting for a traffic light to change.
Yes - though I'd use the term stopped/disabled car, rather than parked. The way we tell is - either because we can see pieces of various cars infront of the car directly before us or by experience / memory. May be once Tesla implements some memory / persistence features they talked about in AI day, they will be better at this.

I'm pretty sure based on my experience it uses brake lights as a cue/hint.
I'm yet to see that. The brake light on the car in front was (dimly) lit but it still wanted to cross the yellow line to overtake. See #5186 above.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6170500/

I continue to have good drives on 10.5. Just did a mostly highway drive (I know, not FSD, but production AP on vision-only) from Southern NH to Boston's Logan airport. Thats about a 90-mile round trip. It was fully dark and while there were lots of cars, I was going around 70mph for most of it.

Zero phantom braking for the entire 90 miles.

This has been consistent with vision-only highway driving for me since I first got FSD beta in 10.2. I used to have radar-induced overpass and signage hard phantom braking. All of that is gone.

Also, no nags from the cabin camera despite the dark and having some bright headlights behind me.

After getting off the highway and onto 2-lane local roads, I got a couple of whimsical hesitations (soft phantom braking) which I reported via snapshot button.

Seeing everyone is getting 10.5 and I'm still at 10.4, should I be concerned?
I wouldn't say concerned since Tesla has been rolling the updates out more slowly. However since it does seem like a long time, you may want to reboot your car, connect it to WiFi, and then from the car's touchscreen navigate to the Software page to prompt a software update check with the mother ship.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Which is the crucible of HD maps. Its insane that people actually think that going into every intersection blind is an advantage.
Imagine having my memory wiped every time before i leave for work or take a drive. I would be lane hunting and all over the place like FSD Beta, reacting rather than anticipating.
The insanity comes from the fairytale of L5.

What they don't seem to realize is how badly humans handle intersections they're not familiar with.

These people need to let go of the fantasy of FSD = L5, and instead be happy with a geofenced L4 system that constantly compares vision data with map data to make sure an intersection hasn't changed. Things like some punk stealing a stop sign for example.

Geofencing is the only way forwards.

What they don't seem to realize is how badly humans handle intersections they're not familiar with.
Yep. Dunno about you but I'm always getting into accidents when I drive through new intersections. Whoopsee! /s

These people need to let go of the fantasy of FSD = L5, and instead be happy with a geofenced L4 system that constantly compares vision data with map data to make sure an intersection hasn't changed. Things like some punk stealing a stop sign for example.
You mean like the current Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control system which "recognizes" tons of extra stop lines all over the place? Trust me it recognizes stop signs that used to be there just fine.

Geofencing is the only way forwards.
Maybe not geofencing per se, but I'd be very OK with requiring a stalk approval before executing types of maneuvers (passing a double-parked car, turning, etc.). There's no way they go to a wide release without doing something like this. Heck, NoA still requires assent (steering wheel torque) before executing a lane change.

10.4 sucked hard. 10.5 sucks hard. My family won't let me use it if they are in the car. Huge and frequent phantom braking events. For no reason. Clear road no traffic at 75 just hits the brakes. On non-highway roads. Just hits the brakes. Stop ahead. Heads at it full speed and at last minute hits the brakes. I manage to drive fast and aggressively yet almost never touch the brakes.

10.4 sucked hard. 10.5 sucks hard. My family won't let me use it if they are in the car. Huge and frequent phantom braking events. For no reason. Clear road no traffic at 75 just hits the brakes. On non-highway roads. Just hits the brakes. Stop ahead. Heads at it full speed and at last minute hits the brakes. I manage to drive fast and aggressively yet almost never touch the brakes.
I wonder what the deal is. I don’t feel like 10.3.1 had AS many phantom braking issues. I’m still on 10.4 and the phantom braking makes it unbearable for my family, always drive manually with them in the car. When I’m alone and feeling like I should punish myself, I full send the FSD beta.

Just did a mostly highway drive (I know, not FSD, but production AP on vision-only)
I understand we know it's not the new FSD stack, but how sure are we that it's production? In my 2017 X 100D with radar, max speed settings did NOT change automatically on interstate highways. Since getting the vision-only "production" stack in order to test FSD, it always does. Does this mean anyone who bought a 3 or Y since May has had automatic speed adjustments on interstate highways without FSD beta while anyone who bought a Tesla prior to that hasn't, or is the "production stack" we refer to something different than that which is "in production"?
I manage to drive fast and aggressively yet almost never touch the brakes.
Gotta agree here. I can't believe the amount of brake dust on my front wheels from FSD beta compared to when I was driving. I also imagine that it can see in all directions at once and should have superhuman reaction times, so it seems like it should need to brake/slow less often than me, not more often. On the other hand, they haven't even implemented collision avoidance maneuvers yet, so I suppose driving fast and aggressively could put you in a bind pretty quickly without those.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
At 1:15 in the video,
Wife: "I am ready to end auto pilot for the night."
Car: <sound of AP engaging>

Yup. Sounds about right. ;)

I really hope Tesla uses your clips.

One thing to remember... The consensus seems to be that the car has space for five saved clips. Continuing to push the Report button the sixth time supposedly over writes the first clip saved, with each successive push overwriting the next oldest, etc. This has not been confirmed to my knowledge, but it might be worth considering. I mention this as I believe there were six Reports done on this drive. I do agree with each Report you did, it's just that there's a good chance you're over writing good stuff that needs to be sent to Tesla.

IMO, this is one question that Tesla really needs to answer for us to be effective guinea pigs... er.. beta testers.

It would also be very helpful if Tesla could add a "send reports now" button. Sure, they don't want a huge LTE bill from guys sending in a ton of clips, so they could only make the button available when the car is connected to WiFi.

Also, adding some sort of UI that shows how many clips are stored and how much room is left for additional saves would be nice.

There's a pretty good chance this is going to be a very long, drawn out beta. If Tesla wants us to be effective testers, they need to give us the tools to do so.
AI Addict said this increased to "10 or 20" clips recently in the comments for his v10.5 First Impressions Video. He claimed in another comment on the same video that he is a Tesla employee, and I believe him, because he posted this v10.5 "First Impressions" video during the employees-only time window

Comment.png