Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't paid attention to this issue in some time - last time I tested it was back in early v11. Does v12, after failing to satisfy the nag, not slow down and stop in the lane?

The one condition I'm worried about is a medical emergency. As we know, if you apply enough torque to the wheel, it will disengage. If someone has a heart attack or otherwise passes out and their body slumps onto the wheel in a way that applies torque, it will disengage and crash. This could be a tough problem to solve, as you could use the cabin camera to see if the person is slumped over the wheel and then ignore the torque take-over. But that could cause problems with federal regulators where there are rules in place that must allow the driver to take over the system for any reason - like pressing the brake should always disengage any ADAS function.
No different from a manually driven car and we don’t frequently see those type of accidents.

haven't tried it yet but others say you can add an identical profile with FSDs off and quickly switch from FSD to AP/TACC that way
Yeah, I assume you're replying to me, and I tried to keep my post brief, but perhaps it was too brief. Reaching for the screen is a distraction that wasn't necessary with the single/double-pull option. They say I should reduce the speed if the automatic speed goes too fast, but make it impossible to do so without additional distraction (AFAIAC, disabling TACC completely is an additional distraction as well because it immediately becomes necessary to monitor speed while trying to set accelerator position with focus that could otherwise be prioritized on the road). I've found the least distracting option to be to actually bring up controls, go to the autopilot section, and turn automatic speed on/off. That shouldn't be the least distracting option, though, and there are plenty of brief scenarios where FSD Supervised is pretty stupid, and having TACC stay on would still be quite useful for smoothly traversing them. All of that having been said, even if switching between profiles didn't require a distraction, each profile now has its own entertainment settings that can't be synced (great for real profiles, sucky for the "change my settings with profiles" hack), so the entertainment becomes yet another distraction beyond reaching for the screen.

Reactions: SidetrackedSue
With FSDS I now set all common destinations as favorites to more easily select them again, and set destinations for nearly all drives with FSDS.

But I don’t use automatic speed setting at all. It just does not work very well on minimal to medium traffic roads at any speed choice.

It is too slow at 55 mph drives ( no expressways here in rural Michigan). And at speed zone changes, to 35 or 25 mph, it slows down way too slowly. I’d get a speeding ticket if I let it pick the speed then. And in city 25 mph drives, it drives too fast. School zones and construction zones are highly variable. Just scary.

So I’ve stopped using automatic speed under all circumstances. It’s a new option, and needs much more development.

With it off and relative speed offset chosen, the top speed scroll option returns with FSDS. Then I can easily control the top speed and the car smoothly goes to the speed I chose. It also slows down better.

FSDS driving is safer with deer, dogs, pedestrians and bicyclists appearing on roads unexpectedly. It is better to leave it always on rather than a profile with it turned off.

It is tempting to lust for “Elon mode” without nags, but patience is a skill worthy of practice at any age. FSDS 12.3.4 is very promising for the immediate future ( FSDS 12.5?).

But I dislike automatic speed control pretty much under every circumstance.

I don’t know about on the fly as I tend to leave the screen alone while driving. But when stopped I just go into the menu and select autopilot/TACC instead of FSD. It’s pretty quick.
@Webeevdrivers
Thanks for your response.
What I was hoping for was a way to switch between FSD and TACC, while driving on an Interstate, without have to come to a complete stop.

As you probably know, we could previously switch by pressing Scroll button once for TACC or twice for FSD. That worked fine for me since I could easily alternate while still driving.

Unfortunately Tesla eliminated these options in a recent Software Update.

Reactions: Webeevdrivers
@Webeevdrivers
Thanks for your response.
What I was hoping for was a way to switch between FSD and TACC, while driving on an Interstate, without have to come to a complete stop.

As you probably know, we could previously switch by pressing Scroll button once for TACC or twice for FSD. That worked fine for me since I could easily alternate while still driving.

Unfortunately Tesla eliminated these options in a recent Software Update.
On the fly switching of profiles worked to switch between FSD and TACC for me with software 2024.3.10. I haven't tried it yet with the recently installed 2024.3.15

If I could give steering input without the system jerking then I would be far more interested in fsd. It needs a lot of help. Since I cannot, the system is worthless to me.
Don’t you disrespect the junk like that! We, the beta testers, put our blood, sweat, tears, and some even rims into the testing of this pile of garbage code that was supposed to be super human 4 years ago. Rude.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I could give steering input without the system jerking then I would be far more interested in fsd. It needs a lot of help. Since I cannot, the system is worthless to me.

You get used to it. After 10k miles and 1+ year using FSD for 80%-90% of my driving, I have the right touch now. When I first started using it I was just like you, I felt it was an accident waiting to happen. But once you learn the right about of input, it won’t disengage.

If the road is winding, a simple scroll of the steering wheels will meet the input requirements.

The FSD free trial is very polarizing because you have a very large group of people who haven’t learned FSD, and only get a short time to learn its quirks. I know exactly when I need to take over. When a new version comes out, I test those same situations and learn if I need to still take over, or let it do its thing.

I do think that FSD shouldn’t request input when the steering wheel is turned beyond a certain amount. I don’t have the problem after learning the right input, but that’s what got me every time at first.

Last edited by a moderator:
You get used to it. After 10k miles and 1+ year using FSD for 80%-90% of my driving, I have the right touch now. When I first started using it I was just like you, I felt it was an accident waiting to happen. But once you learn the right about of input, it won’t disengage.

If the road is winding, a simple scroll of the steering wheels will meet the input requirements.

The FSD free trial is very polarizing because you have a very large group of people who haven’t learned FSD, and only get a short time to learn its quirks. I know exactly when I need to take over. When a new version comes out, I test those same situations and learn if I need to still take over, or let it do its thing.

I do think that FSD shouldn’t request input when the steering wheel is turned beyond a certain amount. I don’t have the problem after learning the right input, but that’s what got me every time at first.
It's the same issue with lane keeping. Other brands do it better. Fsd is not disappointing as I had low expectations and the terrible system met them.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird
Yeah, I assume you're replying to me, and I tried to keep my post brief, but perhaps it was too brief. Reaching for the screen is a distraction that wasn't necessary with the single/double-pull option. They say I should reduce the speed if the automatic speed goes too fast, but make it impossible to do so without additional distraction (AFAIAC, disabling TACC completely is an additional distraction as well because it immediately becomes necessary to monitor speed while trying to set accelerator position with focus that could otherwise be prioritized on the road). I've found the least distracting option to be to actually bring up controls, go to the autopilot section, and turn automatic speed on/off. That shouldn't be the least distracting option, though, and there are plenty of brief scenarios where FSD Supervised is pretty stupid, and having TACC stay on would still be quite useful for smoothly traversing them. All of that having been said, even if switching between profiles didn't require a distraction, each profile now has its own entertainment settings that can't be synced (great for real profiles, sucky for the "change my settings with profiles" hack), so the entertainment becomes yet another distraction beyond reaching for the screen.
I did try it and it does work although I had not opted in on the new profile so all I could do was cruise control vs FSDb. I've now done that so tomorrow will try switching those two.

It's the same issue with lane keeping. Other brands do it better. Fsd is not disappointing as I had low expectations and the terrible system met them.

I drove today from Long Island NY to Brooklyn NY with a mix of interstates and city streets (so a mix of v11 and v12.3.4). I disengaged one time during the entire 26-mile trip. I disengaged because it was going 27 mph in Auto Max where there is a 25-mph speed camera (there were no cars around me). Everyone speeds on Eastern Parkway before and after these cameras (road in Brooklyn), but 27 can get you a speeding camera ticket. So, from driveway to work parking lot with one disengagement.

Every other brand I have used (I do have to be honest, I haven't tested every other brand) seems to have one or more limitation that would make it impossible to do the same trip. FSD isn't perfect, but it does a good enough job for me.