Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been a lot of comments on FSD, including how quickly it will accelerate once it makes a decision to go - certainly not the Chill setting and how it will creep until you feel you are in the middle of the road. Overall though, I was quite pleased with the progress despite a few pucker factor events.
  1. At higher speeds (45-50), it did not move to the left turn lane quickly enough, allowing aggressive people behind me to almost cut me off.
  2. The above could be caused partially by the fact that the turn signal comes on way too late. Could almost be twice the distance. I would rather over-signal than under signal.
  3. Great to not have any confirmation needed for stop sign and signal lights.
  4. An intersection on top of a rise gave the old AP lots of problems and would often disconnect. Now, it flies through without slowing down (slight pucker factor).
  5. Right turns at green lights are awesome. Good turns.
  6. Left turns create more pucker factor moments. FSD likes to cut off and was pretty aggressive, but not overly so when turning in front of oncoming cars. I thought for sure it would wait until it couldn't see anything coming, but it made good decisions.
  7. Unlike what @azred said above, the routing for me was much improved. It took the (shortcut) routes I would take and not what it typically offers.
I did get honked at twice (I think by the same car) when stopping for a right turn on red with no cars in sight. I think he was impatient and expected me to roll through. Right after was an unprotected left, also with no cars. He didn't like that I slowed so much.

Because of that, I have thought of getting a magnet that says something like "Full Self-Driving Car - Please Be Patient" or something like that. Many times, I disengaged at turns because of cars creeping up my trunk and anxious to get someplace. A roof-top sign might be more obvious, but that is more aesthetic damage than I am willing to accept.

There have been a lot of comments on FSD, including how quickly it will accelerate once it makes a decision to go - certainly not the Chill setting and how it will creep until you feel you are in the middle of the road. Overall though, I was quite pleased with the progress despite a few pucker factor events.
  1. At higher speeds (45-50), it did not move to the left turn lane quickly enough, allowing aggressive people behind me to almost cut me off.
  2. The above could be caused partially by the fact that the turn signal comes on way too late. Could almost be twice the distance. I would rather over-signal than under signal.
  3. Great to not have any confirmation needed for stop sign and signal lights.
  4. An intersection on top of a rise gave the old AP lots of problems and would often disconnect. Now, it flies through without slowing down (slight pucker factor).
  5. Right turns at green lights are awesome. Good turns.
  6. Left turns create more pucker factor moments. FSD likes to cut off and was pretty aggressive, but not overly so when turning in front of oncoming cars. I thought for sure it would wait until it couldn't see anything coming, but it made good decisions.
  7. Unlike what @azred said above, the routing for me was much improved. It took the (shortcut) routes I would take and not what it typically offers.
I did get honked at twice (I think by the same car) when stopping for a right turn on red with no cars in sight. I think he was impatient and expected me to roll through. Right after was an unprotected left, also with no cars. He didn't like that I slowed so much.

Because of that, I have thought of getting a magnet that says something like "Full Self-Driving Car - Please Be Patient" or something like that. Many times, I disengaged at turns because of cars creeping up my trunk and anxious to get someplace. A roof-top sign might be more obvious, but that is more aesthetic damage than I am willing to accept.
Someone might "key" you car if you tag it like that! ;-)

And its so easy to figure out its not working properly. The car should slow down when approaching a red light - and if it doesn't, intervene.

I think some of these youtubers push to the edge to see what happens for shock value.
Agreed, but the example in the video posted wasn't one of those times.

He very carefully made sure that there was no danger before he let the car do its thing through the red light. And after it went through the light, he did say that the only reason he allowed it to do so was because it was safe. He then used the snapshot button to report the result to the Mothership.

On a side note...

My cynical side is surfacing here for a moment...

Elon has stated that this ended up being much, much harder than he ever imagined.

After spending some time with the Beta, I have to wonder... I don't think they have yet discovered or wrapped their collective heads around how hard this problem really is to solve. They think they have, but they haven't.

I feel like it's a "blind man and the elephant" scenario. A blind man is introduced to an elephant for the first time. He uses his hands, and starts to feel the trunk. When asked what he thinks, the blind man says, "Wow, this elephant is very much like a snake!" Everyone has heard this story, right?

I kinda wonder if Elon et al have discovered what lies beyond the trunk yet.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm not convinced that this iteration of software/hardware is going to get us to level 5, or even 4. 3ish? Maybe. But the robotaxi dream? Nope.

Yeah... I really hope I'm wrong. There's a very good chance of that; I've been married for 27 years, so I haven't actually been right for 28 years now.

This is one of those times where I will be sooooo happy to have been wrong.

Ah well, it'll be a fun, interesting ride along the way. And I'll be supporting the effort by purchasing FSD with every Tesla I buy from now until Robotaxi starts service.

This is where I've been for a long time TBH. Once you actually start driving with any iteration/level of FSD to me you realize just how many either exceptions to rules there are, or lack thereof in many driving conditions that will be very, very hard to overcome and program in.

Roads, conditions, etc. just aren't standardized enough and there are so many times where you have to make the decision, ands to me that's ultimately the real issue. When you are actively driving you are more or less in total command, and can make a decision without asking, to me "observing" the FSD do it's thing is like the worst thing you can do, you are no longer active, but passive but you have to be active or else you aren't quick enough to potentially correct a terrible decision it makes. It's beyond nerve racking for me. I appreciate it's default is often the safest default, but there are many times it just straight up doesn't "get" what it should do.

That's also another issue I have with it, is so much of driving is cues from traffic, road conditions, and other people on the road, you have a "sense" of what you should do, and you also realize how you react to something causes others to react with you, and there are so many times like on a lane change it freaks out and goes back to it's own lane which unless it's an truly unsafe situation no one ever does, and it sort of breaks with the expectations and precedents we expect from other drivers. How you are perceived by other drivers is not an unimportant thing to keep in mind.

Now not to overly knock Tesla/Elon, et al, but this is I think much, much harder than anyone reasonably thinks it's going to be. IMO, the only way truly will work is eventually every car being able to talk to each other and no personal control is how you get there, and I just think that's a pipe dream as of October 2021.

Did you try Waymo - how are those routes ?

BTW, did you get FSD ... eagerly waiting for your videos/reports of the same route videos of Waymo on YouTube.
I got FSD beta on my 3 but my S only has a 98 score. Sorry, but I seldom support YouTube stars and have never viewed Waymo videos nor ridden in a Waymo. But if Waymo would choose the bizarre routing my car tried to get me home with FSD beta this morning (and of course even before today with wide release autopilot) I would think Waymo would have given up and left Chandler.

To be fair, this is the same problem my old Garmins had 10 or 20 years ago. Their routing is very useful in strange locales where it’s at least better than fumbling with a paper map, but frequently not the routing any sane resident would choose.

+1 it also seems like none of the earlier cars that had to upgrade to MCU2/AP3 got it either. So the early adopters and supporters get nothing...

willy-wonka-you-lose.gif
iu

Do not feel bad - us refreshers did not get anything either...

Reactions: Phlier
This was something I laughed about, wondering how many drivers would have been flagged for not using their turn signals rather than the smoothness score that was actually implemented.

Right, it's not just that, it's to me there are a lot of much more important aspects in driving than whether or not you can balance a cup of water on the roof. The braking part is so bewildering to me especially because stopping is like literally the most important part of driving, above steering or even having a motor. The ability to stop is like, the most safe thing you can do, and significant deceleration (which I have yet to even do) happens in driving all the time, but I can think of countless scenarios (person jumps out a corner, car in front of you slams on brakes, you notice a pothole and swerving is either too dangerous or not advisable in that situation.

But by all means slam on the accelerator and drag race down the road going 30 over, no penalty for that. So dumb

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Agreed, but the example in the video posted wasn't one of those times.

He very carefully made sure that there was no danger before he let the car do its thing through the red light. And after it went through the light, he did say that the only reason he allowed it to do so was because it was safe. He then used the snapshot button to report the result to the Mothership.
The other option would have been to slam the brake at the last second. Would have achieved the same purpose.

Either way - my point is - we'll know well in advance whether its going to stop or not at a red light.

Either way - my point is - we'll know well in advance whether its going to stop or not at a red light.
Most of the time, that's correct, but the example in the video was an edge case. Well, maybe not an edge case, but close to it.

The AP turned right at a stop sign that then immediately put them at the hold bar for a traffic light. The car slowly made the right turn, crept up to the hold bar, then gradually accelerated, turning left through the red light; it was one of those instances where a guy could be fooled that the car *was* going to stop for the light, then didn't.

It was more like the car was going slowly to check for cross traffic before turning left through the light. It was almost like the car was locked into "check for crossing traffic before turning left" code, and didn't even trigger the "traffic signal" code. Programmers will probably laugh at that, but from a layman's point of view, that's what it looked like.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
I can't go out till the afternoon. So a quick question.

Do you engage fsd beta by putting a destination address and pressing the "navigate" like you do NOA ? What does the car do if you don't put in a destination address.

I guess I'm trying to figure out whether we can just use AP like earlier, too.

I was thinking this might be the case from the beginning, but was hoping it wouldn’t be true. What’s horshite is Tesla not believing in it’s own push of the yoke and not telling any of us; allowing us to waste more than two weeks of time that we will never get back. Quite disappointing.
Couldn’t agree more. Why did they even give us the request button if they were going to pull this BS. 5th time I’ve paid for FSD. I swap cars every year and I have a turtle 3 sitting around waiting for my little sister to turn old enough to drive & hers but it has FSD as well. Heck I would have drove that if I would have known. But naturally like a logical thinker I thought that spending 150 K on a premium vehicle maybe just maybe we might get priority for once