Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Venom. Care to take a guess how many more times tonight we will see this picture as someone tries to find evidence that yokers were not left out?!

I do think it’s a good sign that at least one of Tesla’s testers with a yoke has something to try out. It might be good, or it might suck. If the later, no soup for yokers for some time.
One more Plaid added per Tesla FI last night. Now up to 10.....

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I've had it do some dangerous things. I was waiting in a left turn lane while the light was red with cars ahead of me. You could see the path vector jumping to the lane to my right which was a straight lane. Then all of the sudden it decided it was going to enter the right lane to go around the cars ahead of me. There were cars approaching in that lane, so I had to quickly disengage. I mean what was it going to do, pass them on the right and left turn in front of them at a red light?

At another left turn, the light turned yellow as the car ahead made the turn. Fsd paused briefly before making the turn and the light turned red. The steering wheel started moving back and forth for a while, and then it decided it was going to take the left through the red light. Brakes.

Generally, it's pretty amazing, though.

‘Yup, it does some silly risky stuff for sure. But it’s amazing that the perception is starting to be perfectly adequate (last remaining issues seem to be road closures and that sort of stuff). Majority of my issues involve planning and decision making.

Ugh. If high beam AI were better, I'd be ok with this. I feel like such a jerk testing at night because the brights don't react quickly enough (or at all when following someone).
If there are any reflective signs ahead, it goes into a two second cycle of high beams on, high beams off. Makes it difficult to see things on the side of the road on unlit rural roads at night.

I’m not sure if you missed it or you didn’t get the notification I got. I received a warning my front camera was dirty and roughly five minutes later my wipers cleaned the windshield.
I never saw that notification, but FSD disengaged itself while I was stopped at a stop light and the sun was directly in my eyes. It was about 1 minute after that (and I reengaged FSD) that it cleaned the windshield.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
@jebinc just one middle of the night thought…yes I’m that boring…wonder if there’s an internal debate about yoke behavior when in FSD. Maybe some in Tesla think it would be more intuitive (and safer) to have yoke at rest while robot is driving and then have a transition in wheel position through a driver-prompted disengagement? If this is being debated it would make sense to restrict rollout to yokes until debate (and possibly programming) is resolved so as not to have a small but growing population have to fundamentally retrain.
I read somewhere that Yoke owners what the steering to be tighter? Like 1/4 turn = 1/2 turn if I understood that correctly. Maybe based on speed? If so, maybe that is what is being waited for?

I read somewhere that Yoke owners what the steering to be tighter? Like 1/4 turn = 1/2 turn if I understood that correctly. Maybe based on speed? If so, maybe that is what is being waited for?
No... See this part of my recent post below (especially the bold part, which applies directly to this completely different question than the one I was replying to):
AFAIK, the yoke is still connected to a steering column, so this isn't even possible. Also, while I don't have a yoke, I think all this fear of "getting hurt by the yoke" is overblown. The only time the steering apparatus can spin at a "dangerous speed" is when you are moving very slowly. When you are moving very slowly, disengaging by a light touch on the brake should be inconsequential, and then you can grab the yoke that isn't moving anymore anyway.

If you shut off the fsd driver do you get control of your high beams back?
You can manually over ride the auto high beams and FSD won't disengage. So you do still have control, it's just a pain to have to continually turn them off to keep from blinding people.

It's fairly good at not blinding oncoming traffic, but if you come up behind someone, they're gonna get a mirror full of "OMG that's bright!" unless you manually turn off the high beams.

Such a system would be "drive by wire", and while it may eventually be implemented, I really don't think that people would be able to figure out a variable turning ratio. That would cause a lot of problems. And it would give tesla another place to tell people what they want. "oh, your car will just assume which direction you want to go, and since it will never be wrong, you'll never have to look at the touchscreen and reach for the slider to change gears."

I'm not a hater, I already am camping my cybertruck vanity plate on my model y, but I'm really not a fan of the direction that things are going. Let's just assume that the cars will drive themselves with zero intervention, and design all of the driver input systems around that assumption. If they do drive by wire, they'll do some stupid ratio that half will hate and half will adjust to, and there won't be any way to change. Look at the regen options disappearing.

Reactions: impastu and Phlier
If you shut off the fsd driver do you get control of your high beams back?
Just realized I didn't actually answer your question. I'm still working with a groggy, pre-coffee brain.

I've done very limited non FSD driving (using the old AP), but I believe they have switched the old FSD over to vision only, which means that auto high beams activates the second you turn on AP, even if you're using the old FSD and not the beta.

I'll double check this tonight to be sure, though.

Reactions: jebinc
It seems that most new FSD beta users feel that FSD is worse than in the previous testers videos. Any idea why?
Interesting. I got it but feel like it is what I expected. Some drives are amazing and no interventions needed. Some are lacking or too hesitant in certain areas. But I've also watched a lot of beta videos so I knew it was far from perfect.

I guess some just had expectations too high since some have waited years for this.

It seems that most new FSD beta users feel that FSD is worse than in the previous testers videos. Any idea why?
I think it's a combo of being able to feel the car driving itself, and not being on routes that have been heavily optimized. Like when Sandy Monroe was taken for a drive on beta 9, he was super impressed with how it drove. Either he's the worst driver ever, or the route he was taken on was given special attention to represent what the tesla team wants out of FSD.

I imagine not everyone has watched all of the testing videos where FSD failed or was put through edge cases and such, and as a result didn't know what they were getting into.

Reactions: Matias
It could be based on each persons expectations or certain cars just do better or worse than others. My personal experience has been amazing. I’ve had to disconnect on many occasions but mostly for not wanting to let the car hold up others while it thinks, plus it’s done some dangerous things ( if you were not paying attention in complex situations) . I put very little stock in youtubers videos now. I might watch a few where they test the progression in Complex situations but not much else.

One more Plaid added per Tesla FI last night. Now up to 10.....
@Ryan27 Hopefully, these new Tesla sponsored EAP/NDA Plaid testers find no issues with the non public beta (.26) firmware that they were allowed access to. If no problems are found, unique to yoke cars, we might find Plaids silently included with the v10.3; that could come no earlier than a week from Friday (per the EM tweets). In the meantime, I'm sure Tesla wants all of the yokers to keep driving, collecting data for them, and maintaining a perfect 100 score until that day eventually arrives.

I initially got many disengagements on turns in FSD, until I realized I was doing it. If you are gripping the wheel while it is jerking back and forth during a hesitent turn, FSD will easily disengage. Let the wheel do its thing without gripping it during the turn. . Keep your hands on the wheel but don't grip it like you would to prevent a nag. It doesn't take much of a tug to disengage as it did before without FSD in AP. If you need to intervene, you can easily then grab the wheel, but otherwise, let the wheel turn under your hanfs without gripping it.
It might be difficult to do this with the yoke..

This is the issue I see with the yoke. I'm having to have very light inward pressure on the wheel to prevent disengagement, so when the missing part of the yoke comes around your hand will move inward slightly. When it's spinning the wheel quickly, it's going to hit your hand and cause a disengagement and probably hurt somewhat. It requires very little resistance to disengage.
I’ve glanced at my videos to see what I do with my hands.

For turns where the wheel turns less than 90 degrees, I move my hand with the wheel, keeping my hand at the 9-10 o’clock position (on the wheel). So on a left turn at this point my hand is at the bottom, in my lap, attached to wheel 10 o’clock. When the wheel turns more than that, I loosen my left hand (the wheel starts to spin through it) and place my other hand on the other side of the wheel as well, at the 3 o’clock position, so the wheel is spinning through both. That way I can simply clamp at any time with both hands, and take immediate steering control. Most of the time my hands are at 9-10 and 2-3, or perhaps just at 9 in less complicated scenarios.

It will be difficult to do the same thing with a yoke. Some other strategy will be needed, and it won’t be possible to let the wheel slide through your hand smoothly. But, I suppose people with the yoke would already be adapting to this in some way, because the same thing happens on manual control, after a turn, when the steering straightens up. Don’t know what yoke owners are doing in this case right now, to keep both hands firmly on the wheel. Do they just let go of the wheel entirely some of the time? Or do they just do rapid and repetitive hand repositioning to have at least one hand in contact with the yoke at all times? (It seems like you’d have to double up hands, reposition a hand, and repeat as the yoke spins.) I guess there are tons of videos out there showing how it works but have not been paying close attention. Watched a couple…some drivers slide along the flats. Will be interesting to see how this goes, but humans are very adaptable!

Reactions: mhan00 and impastu
My thoughts on the jerkiness:

It's good that the ride isn't comfortable yet, because the driver should never become complacent.

As new testers, we have a tendency to sit up when fsd beta is activated. By sitting without our backs to the seat, the jerkiness is amplified. Once we get used to the beta, we'll relax more, sit back, and the jerkiness will be less bothersome.

My thoughts on videos vs real life:

I live in the Bay Area, so I have some good drives that match the videos. Most of fsd beta's shortcomings are in more urban settings.

Initially, I didn't think I would use fsd beta much, but after the first day, I am definitely excited to use it when I'm alone in the car lol.