Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New FSD user with my 2nd post for the day
  • Disappointed in general but not surprised. Old road system in Mass can be daunting.
  • Drove past my street every time even though FSD showed it would be turning. FSD disengaged itself 20 meters past the road. Maybe a map issue?
  • Opposite end of my street requires slowing to 5mph and then creeping around the evergreens that obscure the street. Have no idea how the B pillar cameras will solve this. When creeping gets discussed its usually regarding turning onto a busy street. In this case its creeping to turn into a small obstructed street. Very different.
  • I view the lack of forward cameras as the achilles heel of FSD. Either have an A pillar camera or add a 2nd camera to the fender located cameras. Hope I'm wrong but some parts of the road system where I live is just not like California. Not even close.
  • Its possible the front most camera can see well enough but I don't know that so my first instinct is to disengage. It would be great when the "creeping message appears on the screen to show what the camera sees. That might eliminate most disengagements.
  • With 20-30 mph speed limits acceleration is much to fast. In general speed changes are too abrupt.
  • When approach and stopping at intersections the car was often slightly in the other lane. This caused several cars to swing way around me to make their turn. Not happy campers!. Then my car had to make a unnatural tight 90 degree left or right hand turn with very limited lane width.
  • Rotaries- maybe better luck next time
  • Lane changes at pretty much every time it was needed was very late and very harsh.
  • I have to give kudos to the early FSD beta testers who had to endure far worse then I had to today. Thanks to all of you.
  • I definitely believe there is something to the California advantage. The videos from Whole Mars Catalog certainly were much better then what I experienced today. Even Elon admitted some truth to that so I'm hoping with other parts of the country helping the neural net training my drives will improve quickly.
  • Highway merging was improved. Otherwise the same problems that others have reported for highway driving still exist. Problems like moving to a faster lane when your exit is coming up or failing to move to the right lane much sooner when traffic is heavy. Or trying to move to a faster lane forcing the driver behind me to either brake or get pissed at "my driving". Hopefully combining the stacks will address those problems.
  • Cyclists- car definitely moved a little left but not far enough IMO. My wife in the passenger seat commented on this as well.
I suspect that after a few more days I'll begin to appreciate all the cool things FSD does but definitely do not think FSD is ready for a widespread rollout. If I wasn't paying close attention no doubt I would have been in an accident.

Not having the time to write as much detail as stated above, I will agree on many statements listed here. Very similar experiences. I too believe we are too early for this. I am cautious and today brought some very scary moments and frustrating moments. One that surprised me is a simple round about with 4 roads, it struggled to get around, lots of erratic steering, I saw previous videos where cars did well around them....I won't be surprised if the back up with this and pull the software for a bit.

Model S, Feb 2017 build with upgraded MCU2 and HW3 chip installed June 2020, but original AP2.0 cameras. Had a safety score of 100 since Wed and 1000+ miles but still no FSD download. Safety score still showing in the app.
Finally; I've been asking this same question all day without an answer!
Looks like those that upgraded from AP2.0 did not get the beta. Which is really BS. Just like the Plaid, why give the button and safety score if the car doesn't qualify.
THAT IS SO UPSETTING!!!

Looks like those that upgraded from AP2.0 did not get the beta. Which is really BS. Just like the Plaid, why give the button and safety score if the car doesn't qualify.
THAT IS SO UPSETTING!!!
I feel slightly better that my safety score is dogsht because most likely it wouldn't have mattered anyway

Reactions: Shateam and jebinc
THAT IS SO UPSETTING!!!
Perhaps Tesla just wanted your data and permission to collect it - so the “button”
was dangled in front of you to push. After all, it just says you will be added to the queue, even if your number doesn’t come up.

I did a few drives, state highways, city streets and rural side roads. The good news is that it got me to my destination without any big issues. The bad news so far is as follows:

1. Multi-lane traffic circles are a no go. Maybe at 3 AM with zero traffic it might work, but 10.2 is too hesitant entering and traffic just angrily piles up until a disengagement.

2. Curves marked 25 and 30 mph in 45 mph zones are taken way too fast.

3. Rural side roads with no lines are almost unusable unless they are completely straight. Turns at intersections are made erratically and curves just result in driver disengagement.

4. There were two phantom braking episodes but they were closer to hesitations than panic stops.

What's Next?​

I realize no one knows, but what's next? I am sincerely happy for those of you who got the beta; you fully deserved it, and I'm only slightly green with envy. Musk tweeted they would pause for an unspecified period to see how it goes before resuming. I suspect I'm not the only one who is going to start getting increasingly impatient. How long is the pause? Will the new downloads be throttled at 1000 per day? If so, then it could be many months before some of us get it, if we ever do (maybe there's a minimum score? Maybe it's 95? Argh). I know it's meaningless to say it's not fair but, well, it's not. I want my FSD!

I continue to think it would be a classy move to just give it to everyone who asks. They did a fine job of ramping up the anticipation, but enough: we all paid for it, we all want it, so please, please can we have it? Just like the owner of any car, I take responsibility for my own safe use of the vehicle. I want my FSD!

Couldn’t agree more. Why did they even give us the request button if they were going to pull this BS. 5th time I’ve paid for FSD. I swap cars every year and I have a turtle 3 sitting around waiting for my little sister to turn old enough to drive & hers but it has FSD as well. Heck I would have drove that if I would have known. But naturally like a logical thinker I thought that spending 150 K on a premium vehicle maybe just maybe we might get priority for once
Nope, we got burned again - as usual!
And now the Tesla “hiding out in the open” play is in play; Tesla pulled my safety score as if I never received the button update and played the safety score BS game for the past two plus weeks. If you are in a similar position (a left out refreshed MS owner), raise cane in all social media venues that you can. Only then might behaviors change. @MarcG @Venom @boonedocks @omarsultan
Oh I’ve definitely raised multiple “canes” on social media

• Love
Reactions: jebinc
Nope, we got burned again - as usual!

Oh I’ve definitely raised multiple “canes” on social media
D49AEE10-BECE-4BF7-ABC1-9353C9854B68.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Ruffles and Phlier