Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't want prolong this argument but Fred and the other members of the Tesla clickbait club have consistently stated that speed limit recognition is map based augmented by vision. There's a location near me where the state highway has a 55 mph limit and a connecting residential road has a 30 mph limit. The 30 mph sign is easily 50 feet from the intersection with the state highway. FSD beta happily makes the turn and then accelerates rapidly past 30 mph and only slows down when it reaches the sign. I seriously doubt that the initial 50 feet of the residential road is mapped at 55 mph. Just as an aside, OSM has no speed limit tag for the road, but I added the tag. The OSM node starts at the intersection. Note, I'm aware that OSM may not be used for speed limits.
As a member of the hate clickbait (and Fred) club, I reluctantly agree with Fred who gamed Tesla’s ”close friends and family” referral contests to win a couple Roadsters. OK I am jealous of the arrogant scumbag. But back to the topic — and stop mentioning Fred!

A freeway near me completed a major two year widening project a year ago and yet both of my cars suddenly slow down and show a speed limit drop from 65 to 55 in one location. But there hasn’t been a 55 mph sign on that freeway in a year. So even though both cars clearly read speed limit signs, obviously they are getting faulty info from somewhere else. If it’s not info from an old map, maybe somehow Fred is causing the issue just to mess with me.

PS. Wouldn’t it be funny if Tesla cancelled Roadster production and Fred got zip?

Reactions: Phlier
What they need is a Common Sense Department. The Chief of Common Sense would tell Elon: Given that we haven't developed FSD yet, we shouldn't be selling it yet. Also, we should not be telling customers that FSD is "coming later this year" or "coming soon." Also, we should not be treating our customers as guinea pigs. What's very likely to happen here is that some of our customers are going to die and/or kill or maim other people while using the FSD Beta, and that is going to slow down our progress toward creating FSD. Let's just work on developing FSD and sell it when it's ready. In the meantime, stop making false pronouncements about FSD.

What they need is a Common Sense Department. The Chief of Common Sense would tell Elon: Given that we haven't developed FSD yet, we shouldn't be selling it yet. Also, we should not be telling customers that FSD is "coming later this year" or "coming soon." Also, we should not be treating our customers as guinea pigs. What's very likely to happen here is that some of our customers are going to die and/or kill or maim other people while using the FSD Beta, and that is going to slow down our progress toward creating FSD. Let's just work on developing FSD and sell it when it's ready. In the meantime, stop making false pronouncements about FSD.
Give Elon some credit, at least they're not taking Tesla Bot pre-orders yet.

Regarding safety score tracking for users who have NOT received the FSD beta yet, what will be the plan once we roll past day 30? I'm thinking the app shows 30 days and calculates the safety score, so we probably need to start keeping track of only the last 30 days in our mileage and score calculations as well...

That is really going to piss some people off.. WADH

I think its one of those things that looks worse than it is.

Tesla has an early access program for owners to test out new firmware before it gets released. The firmware build for new Model S vehicles are probably at that stage. Historically Tesla has selected influencers, investors, etc to be part of the early access program.

So if I owned a new Model S I wouldn't be angry at this one guy getting it, but I'd be annoyed that Elon didn't communicate to new Model S owners that they weren't going to be included.

With that being said I don't own a new Model S.

Instead I have a Model 3 and I was pretty livid with the whole Safety Score thing at one point. Probably more so than any logic or rationality could explain. So I could be underestimating the impact among new Model S owners. It's likely going to be a non-issue in a week or two when they push the Model S firmware to people with perfect scores.

Regarding safety score tracking for users who have NOT received the FSD beta yet, what will be the plan once we roll past day 30? I'm thinking the app shows 30 days and calculates the safety score, so we probably need to start keeping track of only the last 30 days in our mileage and score calculations as well...
My understanding, and hope is its only over the last 30 days.

The lowest score I have is the first day so I look forwards to it dropping off.

I'm only trying to get a 99 which is lot easier than 100.

My understanding, and hope is its only over the last 30 days.

The lowest score I have is the first day so I look forwards to it dropping off.

I'm only trying to get a 99 which is lot easier than 100.
I've maintained 99 all along, but I think I'll have 100 pretty easy once the first 4 days roll off unless something else stupid happens between now and then. That's still 2 weeks away, though, so here's to hoping they push it out to 99's between now and then anyway.

I've maintained 99 all along, but I think I'll have 100 pretty easy once the first 4 days roll off unless something else stupid happens between now and then. That's still 2 weeks away, though, so here's to hoping they push it out to 99's between now and then anyway.
All it takes is a badly timed yellow light, a pedestrian or animal crossing the road to mess up a score. Or a dreaded random FCW for no reason at all.

This is assuming that a driver doesn't do the reset trick or doesn't purposely add more miles after a drive to do silly things like cycling accelerating/braking to cut down any hard braking event.

I'm probably going to garage my vehicle with a 99 with hundreds of miles of safety scored miles.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Took the car to downtown San Diego last night. Knew better than to use FSD on the way there with the wife in the car, with the amount of traffic on downtown streets. I did use NoA on 163 South and of course it slammed on the brakes in the two-lane section due to a cut-in WAY ahead, completely inappropriately (Tesla Vision FTW?). Wife unhappy but that was smoothed over relatively quickly with an explanation of how much the system sucks with that sort of thing.

Coming back late, with minimal traffic, attempted to engage FSD in the vicinity of Petco Park. Make the turn from K to north onto 11th street with no major issues though it was far from smooth. Made it through the J traffic light fine. Then started to approach the stop sign on Island. Well before the stop sign, it noticed some pedestrians starting to cross the cross walk. Slammed on the brakes (too fast for me to react and override), right at this location, way way short of the stop sign (which presumably it was going to stop for anyway; it could have just eased up to the stop...):

The wife exclaimed "What the f**k!?!" and I disengaged. The people in the crosswalk noticed the behavior and did a double take and smiled a bit too I think. And that was that for last night's experiments. Sadly I forgot to click the dash cam save; would have made for a good clip.

I of course knew this would very likely happen, but wanted to confirm. My use scenarios will have to wait for only myself in the vehicle, as expected, in future. Definitely going to be making good use of that default profile with no FSD.

Anyway, eventually maybe I'll link a few actual videos.

The frustrating thing about these issues is that they seem to have nothing to do with perception. For whatever reason Tesla has chosen to be VERY conservative with reduction of speed. Yet, it also seems inconsistent - I'm not convinced it always would slam on the brakes in this situation. What's going on internally that makes the reaction so different?

I did use NoA on 163 South and of course it slammed on the brakes in the two-lane section due to a cut-in WAY ahead, completely inappropriately (Tesla Vision FTW?).
Interesting. With FSD, it seems to behave decently when vehicles cross the road ahead. Hasn't slammed on the brakes (yet), like AP does. I particularly noticed it a couple of times yesterday - as I was expecting a slam on the brake at any instant when I saw the vehicles turn left and cross infront.

On Tuesday was 5/5 for turns on my way to work. No interventions other than lots of accelerator.

Today, 0/5. Intervened on every one. I'm not going to tolerate it jerking the wheel the wrong way on turns, or not watching traffic on the inside of me to see how well they're holding their lane on a multi-lane turn (the reason for three of the interventions).

Also rudely cut someone off by signaling just 2 seconds before changing lanes in front of them. They didn't have to slow down - it was just rude.

Summary: Other than the "entertainment," novelty value, and just general natural & understandable feelings of wanting what others have, people who do not have FSD Beta access yet are not missing out on anything.

I'm going to keep using it (when it's just me) and submitting plenty of reports, though. Along with intervening constantly, it appears.

To be clear, I’m appreciative that I have access to the beta, it performs roughly as I expected, and I hope that feedback provided to Tesla helps them produce something of higher quality, regardless of whether that ever is able to go to wide release with current hardware.

Last edited:
Interesting. With FSD, it seems to behave decently when vehicles cross the road ahead. Hasn't slammed on the brakes (yet), like AP does. I particularly noticed it a couple of times yesterday - as I was expecting a slam on the brake at any instant when I saw the vehicles turn left and cross infront.
I was surprised that it reacted in this case. It was totally inappropriate. It was entirely appropriate to slow down (if I had been driving I would have gently eased the accelerator to ensure I had a good buffer), but there was no need for anything other than gentle regen. The worst part of these sorts of reactions is the extremely high level of jerk.

Reactions: Phlier and impastu