Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you on teslafi? They are still collecting it and showing detail (just found the detail). And still dinging.
Yes, they would still be doing it. Question is will they use it - if so - how. They can't legitimately use this to kick people out of fsd beta - given the current state.

Ofcourse if they collect data that shows someone driving baldy badly while not using FSD Beta - for a long time, that might make sense. But, currently they don't distinguish between the case you describe and someone on freeway waving through traffic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier
Oh for crying out loud... I should just leave a post open for ten minutes and add to it as my brain works through all the stuff it wants to post, rather than bombard you guys with a string of new posts. <sigh>

One thing I've been wanting to mention but just keep forgetting...

You guys that have the Beta.... what are your thoughts on how sensitive the Beta is to sensing your hand on the wheel?

With the Beta, as long as I have my hand on the wheel and giving it just the slightest input, and as long as my eyeballs are on the road, I don't get nags anymore. IMO, it requires far less input from my hand riding along on the steering wheel to keep the nag at bay than it did with public AP.

What it really seems sensitive about is where your eyes are. I can have my hand firmly applying input on the steering wheel, but if I look down at the display for five seconds (and yes, I actually counted it out), I get a "pay attention" ding. I've only dared try this on a straight, deserted desert road.

And if I wear a baseball cap so that the camera can't see my eyes, I get dings every five seconds if my hand is so lightly on the wheel that it can't detect it.

I'd be interested to hear you guy's experiences with this. Just remember to keep in mind that the "pay attention" ding now has two parts: Your eyeballs and your hand on the wheel.

Oh, and if you decide to mess with this, please be careful, yeah? :D

Reactions: BossMan123
D'oh, sorry... I never did respond to that...

I'm not really "tracking" it per se, but I have watched it a bit. It's just the router's built in firmware that shows how much each attached device uploads/downloads over time. It lacks the ability to get really detailed information, it just shows the basics.
@Phlier Yeah, mine expensive Linksys no longer shows that. Seems to have gone "bye-bye" with a recent firmware update.

• Informative
Oh for crying out loud... I should just leave a post open for ten minutes and add to it as my brain works through all the stuff it wants to post, rather than bombard you guys with a string of new posts. <sigh>

One thing I've been wanting to mention but just keep forgetting...

You guys that have the Beta.... what are your thoughts on how sensitive the Beta is to sensing your hand on the wheel?

With the Beta, as long as I have my hand on the wheel and giving it just the slightest input, and as long as my eyeballs are on the road, I don't get nags anymore. IMO, it requires far less input from my hand riding along on the steering wheel to keep the nag at bay than it did with public AP.

What it really seems sensitive about is where your eyes are. I can have my hand firmly applying input on the steering wheel, but if I look down at the display for five seconds (and yes, I actually counted it out), I get a "pay attention" ding. I've only dared try this on a straight, deserted desert road.

And if I wear a baseball cap so that the camera can't see my eyes, I get dings every five seconds if my hand is so lightly on the wheel that it can't detect it.

I'd be interested to hear you guy's experiences with this. Just remember to keep in mind that the "pay attention" ding now has two parts: Your eyeballs and your hand on the wheel.
Haven't noticed any nags yet, but then again, I'm holding on that yoke for dear life!

I took my 1st 10 mile drive and I felt like I had the death grip on the yoke the whole time. I did experience the 462 rotations on the yoke In a split second, but that only happens when you're either stopped or starting and going very slow and you can just let the yoke do it's thing and it's not a big deal. But holy Moly when this thing's ready to go it is way more aggressive than I'm used to driving especially on right turns. If it's a 45 mile per hour zone you're there in a matter of a second

Initial thoughts as a yoker...
Also, I see what @Phlier meant regarding the dangerous jerky movements of the wheel/yoke/steering apparatus. When the yoke is being thrown around so fast and jerking around during turns, at times I couldn't catch the yoke because it was moving so fast it'd dodge my hands LOL - super dangerous!

We'd love to see a video of the yoke in action!

Woot! I say again... Woot! Really glad to hear this. :)

While I'm sure this doesn't apply to Beta software, keep in mind that when we bought our cars, Tesla said that they would be hardware upgraded as needed to ensure full feature set and use of FSD.

I'll be holding them to that. ;)

I don't think we really need to worry about the Safety Score now, TBH.

You know that little camera there above your rear view mirror on your new Plaid? Yeah... it's watching you. Tesla has an AI setup to watch where your eyes are looking. The "Pay Attention!" ding? That's now based on two things: how long it has been since it has sensed you on the steering wheel and also how long your eyes have been off the road.

Before Safety Score ever came out, Tesla said that some Beta testers had been removed from the program due to "not paying attention." And that camera/AI combo is what determines that.

IMO, Tesla is completely aware of how abrupt FSD is, so they aren't going to be using Safety Score metrics to determine "Safe" beta testers once you're in the program.

They're going to be using your eyeballs.
Didnt Tesla say that the cabin camera images would NOT be transmitted, but were only to remind the driver? That having been said before, did we agree to something else when accepting 10.2 Beta?

Either way is ok with me. In fact, I just ordered new unmirrored sunglasses to replaced the old mirrored sunglasses that might hide my eyes.

Didnt Tesla say that the cabin camera images would NOT be transmitted, but were only to remind the driver? That having been said before, did we agree to something else when accepting 10.2 Beta?

Either way is ok with me. In fact, I just ordered new unmirrored sunglasses to replaced the old mirrored sunglasses that might hide my eyes.
The images themselves don't need to be transmitted; the car can simply report that the driver spent xx amount of time with their eyes off the road.

Eye position is computed by the car, not the Mothership.

Well, it just might... I could see a scenario where you wouldn't get the next download, or even be removed, if you don't maintain at least a score assigned to that next wave. For instance, if you fall below 99 next Friday, when the new release occurs, you may be out or not get the next release. 98, two weeks after that, etc.
I got dinged on hard braking today. Was at .01, now .02
I am thinking "cmon bitch, I didn't do that EM and his techs did, ding their score, not mine!"
Alas, wishful thinking. Either way, I am a strong 100 so I think I have some wiggle room. The basic thought is 1 week from today?

Reactions: jebinc

If Tesla wants to look at my face, that's their problem. Just so long as they don't show the cops that I also drive baldly

I think Tesla removed the score from Beta testers because they want us to concentrate on supervising Beta, rather than worrying about how it might affect our score. If we're constantly worrying that breaking out of FSD will ding us, it could delay our response to dangerous situations.

Elon said that people with a score as low as 60 would be let in, so I don't think we have to worry about our score too much. Assuming they are even using it once you are already in.

I'm not sure what year they made the change, but earlier cars can only use 2.4Ghz WiFi. I'll have to double check my manual, but I seem to recall reading that my car can only use 2.4.

Does anyone know when Tesla introduced 5Ghz WiFi?
Not sure, but mine connects to 5ghz, but have a mesh node 10 ft away. Fastest connection I have seen is 430 mbps. I have 1 gb up and down at router

• Informative