Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

He mentioned 2017 X with a MCU1-> MCU2 upgrade. I don't follow your question about HW2 or 2.5 since he would have to have upgraded to the HW3/FSD computer to get into the FSDBeta? I have a June 2017 X HW2 and did the MCU1->2 upgrade. I paid for FSD at the time of purchase Dec 2017 and had it upgraded to HW3/FSD computer when it became available.
I’m not sure when 2.5 replaced 2.0 but it was sometime in mid-2017. The question deals with whether any cars that were original HW2.0 upgraded to HW3/FSD received the FSD Beta and the answer seems to be no, probably due to the slightly different hardware including the old cameras.

get home and go into the app to see how I did and the score is gone! Logged out and hard closed the app.

Yeah it seems this may be intentional on Tesla's part (though imperfect perhaps). But third-party apps still seem to have access to the Safety Score internally, so it's still being tracked. (Though unfortunately at least Stats does not break it out on a trip-by-trip basis.)

Same! Downloading now!
Woot! I say again... Woot! Really glad to hear this. :)
Tesla has done a good job of slow playing the former HW2 owners (as opposed to the beloved HW2.5 owners). It took quite a while to get HW3 and MCU2 upgrades, too. By the time my car was upgraded I suspect many of the HW2 cars original owners no longer had the cars.

I plan to keep my 12/2016 S for at least another five years so it will be interesting to see how they handle my peers and me. We paid for FSD FIVE f’n years ago so if the old cameras or other hardware elements of our cars are insufficient I guess I will just hope they do the right thing and either update the hardware or rebate the cost of FSD. I’m not confident either will happen without legal action. (And if a hardware update is done, I would be shocked if that happened within six months.)

Fingers crossed for next Friday’s new batch of FSD installs.
While I'm sure this doesn't apply to Beta software, keep in mind that when we bought our cars, Tesla said that they would be hardware upgraded as needed to ensure full feature set and use of FSD.

I'll be holding them to that. ;)
Well, it just might... I could see a scenario where you wouldn't get the next download, or even be removed, if you don't maintain at least a score assigned to that next wave. For instance, if you fall below 99 next Friday, when the new release occurs, you may be out or not get the next release. 98, two weeks after that, etc.
I don't think we really need to worry about the Safety Score now, TBH.

You know that little camera there above your rear view mirror on your new Plaid? Yeah... it's watching you. Tesla has an AI setup to watch where your eyes are looking. The "Pay Attention!" ding? That's now based on two things: how long it has been since it has sensed you on the steering wheel and also how long your eyes have been off the road.

Before Safety Score ever came out, Tesla said that some Beta testers had been removed from the program due to "not paying attention." And that camera/AI combo is what determines that.

IMO, Tesla is completely aware of how abrupt FSD is, so they aren't going to be using Safety Score metrics to determine "Safe" beta testers once you're in the program.

They're going to be using your eyeballs.

The trouble is with the 5 GHz router band is that the signal doesn't carry anywhere near as far as the 2.4GHz band. Plus, a lot of IOT devices won't connect to the 5 GHz band at all. I basically disabled this band on my routers. A strong 2.4 signal is going to be just as good as a weak 5.
I get much better throughput on 5 over 2.4 in the house. At least apps that display throughput like macrium backup. It runs 3 to 4 times faster. Enough so that if a machine has started on 2.4 and I notice, I'll stop, re-connect on 5, and get done a lot faster.

I know speedtest.net has some issues but

5 - 466Mbps
2.4 - ~65Mbps (ran a couple and averaged)

But you may be right about the problem just being distance. I took my phone and set its hotspot to 5Ghz. The car did connect. The only confounder is that the phone setting actually says 5Ghz preferred which suggests that it would fall back to 2.4. I didn't see anything on the phone or in the car the showed what the actual connection was.

Reactions: jebinc
Anyone who said here there won't be another rollout for months want to admit they were wrong ? Or according to some "lying" ?

View attachment 721885
Would I also need to admit that I am a liar/wrong if I predict no one who was an original FSD purchaser 5 years ago (HW2.0) will see FSD Beta for many months? I hope I am proved to be a liar/wrong but given the delays we faced in upgrading to HW3 I doubt it. So much for Elon’s thanks to those who risked a lot by buying expensive Model S and X Teslas when the company’s future was in doubt.

I know the refresh S cars have an awesome driver display screen for the visualizations but do you think we'll ever get the option to also view it on the center screen? Any idea why we don't already have that ability or why we wouldn't get that?

I'm not sure what year they made the change, but earlier cars can only use 2.4Ghz WiFi. I'll have to double check my manual, but I seem to recall reading that my car can only use 2.4.

Does anyone know when Tesla introduced 5Ghz WiFi?

I plan to keep my 12/2016 S for at least another five years so it will be interesting to see how they handle my peers and me. We paid for FSD FIVE f’n years ago so if the old cameras or other hardware elements of our cars are insufficient I guess I will just hope they do the right thing and either update the hardware or rebate the cost of FSD. I’m not confident either will happen without legal action. (And if a hardware update is done, I would be shocked if that happened within six months.)
They should definitely do this - esp now that they have enough cash cushion.

As they pay down other debt, this is one more "debt" they should pay.

Initial thoughts as a yoker: as expected I am very unimpressed. Did a few turns at stop lights from the inside turn lane and the car would always be half way into the second person's lane. General driving wasn't that great - as others have mentioned the car takes turns REALLY close to the curb. I also feel like regular autopilot is driving closer to the curb now.

Also, I see what @Phlier meant regarding the dangerous jerky movements of the wheel/yoke/steering apparatus. When the yoke is being thrown around so fast and jerking around during turns, at times I couldn't catch the yoke because it was moving so fast it'd dodge my hands LOL - super dangerous!

Reactions: Phlier
I just took a manual ride with lots of gentle braking, to clean up my score for today. I get home and go into the app to see how I did and the score is gone! Logged out and hard closed the app. Reopened and logged back in and still, no score?! I think I cleaned it up...

Are you on teslafi? They are still collecting it and showing detail (just found the detail). And still dinging. Got one this afternoon. It was an unprotected left. The car is doing the creep, stop, creep, stop. So at some point I'm straddling the near lane and there is a truck coming from the lane I'm turning in to . Also cars further off in the lane I'm now straddling. So I jerk the wheel and hit the pedal. It was close enough the the truck was justifiably laying on the horn. Below is teslafi's report and you can see a new aggressive turn show up.

Snap7.png

• Informative
Reactions: K5TRX
One last thing regarding the "What are you looking at?" AI...

For those that are interested in this, it was either GreenTheOnly or (I think) Tristan on Twitter that has a really in depth look at this system. He has a rooted computer, and actually shows the confidence level the system currently has on where you're looking.

I'll look around a bit here in a few minutes and see if I can find it. I'll link it here if I do.

Reactions: scottf200