Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got FSD beta on my 3 but my S only has a 98 score. Sorry, but I seldom support YouTube stars and have never viewed Waymo videos nor ridden in a Waymo. But if Waymo would choose the bizarre routing my car tried to get me home with FSD beta this morning (and of course even before today with wide release autopilot) I would think Waymo would have given up and left Chandler.

Checkout these meticulously documented rides on Waymo. You can try out any of these.

Reactions: impastu
One correction: Half-pull up and hold for one second will shift to N when moving or stopped. Its a safety feature in case of a malfunctioning accelerator.
And if TSHTF, you can press and hold in on the button on the end of the stalk. That will eventually engage the emergency brake.
I got the impression from watching Chuck Cook videos that using the stalk to disengage was a way to disengage without logging it. Essentially when you want to stop using FSD but don't want Tesla to view it as a disengagement, use the stalk. I personally have not heard from Tesla that this is the case; I am assuming that as an early-early FSD tester, he was given more info on how disengagement works.
That was my impression as well, but it would be nice if Tesla would confirm it.
Good point and if you want to be even more paranoid, I could imagine this sign could be an invitation to getting your car keyed. I know a couple people with ASU vanity plates that have driven to UA-ASU games in Tucson and wished they hadn’t.
I went to ASU in the '80's. Also went to Tucson for a UA-ASU game. It wasn't just the cars that got keyed. Those UA guys are vicious.
I’m still working through these posts. So apologies if this is answered downstream. I always wear sunglasses when driving as my eyes are hyper-sensitive to sunlight. They’re not mirrored. However, any issues with wearing regular sunglasses when driving with Beta? Does it warn you with the “pay attention dings“? In other words. Any restrictions ie. “Can’t wear sunglasses while driving with Beta” because the camera “can’t” see your eyes?

Ski
You can wear sunglasses. Just don't obstruct the camera lens with a piece of tape. If the car senses that the camera is blocked, you won't be able to engage FSD. However, if the AI just detects that you're wearing sunglasses, you'll just get nags more often.
I’m not sure camera is even mandatory.

I’ve always had a large mirror over the factory one that helps me see the kids at the back. FSD hasn't cribbed.
It is mandatory now. DirtyTesla on YouTube used to keep a piece of electrical tape over his cabin camera. As of 10.1, the car throws up a warning about cabin camera obstructed, and won't allow FSD to be engaged until the camera is unobstructed.

If you're able to fool it with a mirror or something, that might work, but outright blocking the camera will disable the system entirely.

From what the guy on Twitter has said, if the AI can't determine where your eyes are looking due to sunglasses or a hat brim, you'll get "Apply Slight Force to Wheel" warnings more often. Although that depends on how you hold the wheel. Since I'm constantly ghost steering it, I don't get the nags anyway.

The magnet thing will get sand behind it and start sanding the paint off your car.
Also, you'll be left with a ghost image of the sign in your paint. Car paint is constantly fading from the sun's UV. Depending on where you're at, even just a week of having a sign up will cause there to be a significant difference in the paint color behind the sign vs the rest of the car.

When I worked at a detail shop in the '80's, we were constantly having people bring their cars/trucks in with this problem, and unfortunately, there's just nothing that can be done.
Looks like there are a few 3, Y owners who got in on 15th, instead of 11th. Wonder why ...

@McMoo , @Ruffles , @Performante , @mlatman
I think it was a case of people having their cars in for maintenance, away from WiFi and/or LTE, etc; their cars just weren't available on the network during the download window.
PS I think you mean “peeps”, not “perps”
Depends on whether he was referring to me or not.
@Phlier I'm not sure, re the visualizations. I now when I'm not on FSD at all, I have them when I'm just driving around, manually. Will need to pay more attention to the screen, as I was more focused on the road and the choke collar camera mount I was wearing at the time! 🤣

Would love to see more people here post some yoke or other videos of their experience, in various Tesla Models.
You might want to check your video at the timestamp I linked. You mentioned that you think you kicked it out of FSD, but I'm not so sure.... Given the fact that the visuals all disappeared, I think FSD might have glitched on you. That would explain the loss of visuals, unless visuals being on only while FSD is engaged is normal in your yoke car.

Last edited:
It is mandatory now. DirtyTesla on YouTube used to keep a piece of electrical tape over his cabin camera. As of 10.1, the car throws up a warning about cabin camera obstructed, and won't allow FSD to be engaged until the camera is unobstructed.

I’ll have to check exactly how the other mirror is sitting and whether it’s blocking the camera.

BTW, the bigger mirror is a great tool for people with small kids.

Reactions: impastu and jebinc
It was Aug 1, 2017 (Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap)
I mentioned mine was AP2.0 in June.
FWIW, my July 2017 is 2.5. I am guessing they didn't announce the change until August, but some new ones were already released, that seems to be pretty typical with changes from month-to-month, at least historically.
Today is the first day I've seen reference to AP2.0 cars that now have FSD (aka AP3, aka HW3) could not (are not) get FSDBeta invitations.

Since radar is not relevant that means the AP2.5 new radar hardware would not be the cause. So you are in the camp that AP2.0 cameras filters or sonar could be the reason? Or something else. See this section 'Hardware Specifications for new cars (no retrofits)' here for an overview of diffs: Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap

P.S. Great point / job on getting a SS 100 for so long. That is one indications/datapoint. I have an 2017 AP2.0 X upgraded to FSD and MCU2 but had 99 on Friday after starting a roadtrip that data that dropped me from 100 in the last few hour of driving over that 2 week period!
I feel like this has been discussed a few times in this thread, granted, only briefly and open to interpretation. My thought is that similar to how the new S is on a separate branch, AP2.0 cameras could be, too. That branch may not be created yet, and it is even feasible that the cameras will ultimately need replaced, but we won't know until we know.
That’s not funny though.
I thought it was, perhaps only because it doesn't specify what is self driving, so it could be the driver. Deadpan humor, I guess.
I can’t even wrap my head around using one of these “devices” even on regular ole autopilot or NoA. It’s too unpredictable not to pay attention.
I've never used one, but I can absolutely wrap my head around it. Unfortunately, most people use them for the wrong reasons, but hands on the wheel isn't necessarily better for all drivers. When I got my Model X in 2017, the nags were practically nonexistent. I never put my hands on the wheel when using AP (except to satisfy a 5 minute nag or whatever), they sat in my lap. Having them in my lap kept me more alert and I never had a problem reacting in time (the steering wheel was literally inches away), even using it on really windy sketchy roads that it couldn't handle yet, I was able to intervene before going off of the very narrow shoulders. When they introduced the frequent nagging and I started resting my hand on the wheel, I immediately started having highway hypnosis. That is when I realized that vibration through the steering wheel has been what caused highway hypnosis for me all of my life. Fortunately, the steering wheel movement or unexpected speed adjustments typically pull me out of it in time, but I would most certainly use a defeat device to make me a safer driver if I wasn't concerned about the liability that using one could bring on me. Better still, I would have Tesla add the cabin camera to my vehicle instead of installing a defeat device if it allowed me to go hands-off. That having been said, based on the experiences others have mentioned and the fact that they typically don't apply on the highway, I'm not to concerned that I'll have the same issue while testing the pre-release FSD beta, and I certainly wouldn't be using a defeat device with the pre-release beta even if I had one that I was using prior to said beta (nor would I be resting my hands on my lap in city streets, highway driving is a completely different beast).

I cant wait for 10.3! Allll this data we are feeding into TSLA. I hope they make good use of it!
Unfortunately, I think we're going to have to be a bit more patient than 10.3.

I'm thinking more along the lines of like 12.0 before we see substantial improvement.

Right now, they are still having to manually label a lot of environmental objects, and they haven't even turned AI on yet in some (most?) driving situations.

I think we can plan on things moving very slowly until the machine becomes accurate enough to self-label the majority of environmental objects. Once that happens, we'll see some pretty rapid advancements/improvements.

I think this will go down in history as the longest beta test of all time. That's the bad news.

The good news is that we are literally witnessing the dawn of a new age.

"My Grandpa literally tested the very first self driving cars!" -- Our Grandkids, probably.

Last edited:
FWIW, my July 2017 is 2.5. I am guessing they didn't announce the change until August, but some new ones were already released, that seems to be pretty typical with changes from month-to-month, at least historically.

I feel like this has been discussed a few times in this thread, granted, only briefly and open to interpretation. My thought is that similar to how the new S is on a separate branch, AP2.0 cameras could be, too. That branch may not be created yet, and it is even feasible that the cameras will ultimately need replaced, but we won't know until we know.

I thought it was, perhaps only because it doesn't specify what is self driving, so it could be the driver. Deadpan humor, I guess.

I've never used one, but I can absolutely wrap my head around it. Unfortunately, most people use them for the wrong reasons, but hands on the wheel isn't necessarily better for all drivers. When I got my Model X in 2017, the nags were practically nonexistent. I never put my hands on the wheel when using AP (except to satisfy a 5 minute nag or whatever), they sat in my lap. Having them in my lap kept me more alert and I never had a problem reacting in time (the steering wheel was literally inches away), even using it on really windy sketchy roads that it couldn't handle yet, I was able to intervene before going off of the very narrow shoulders. When they introduced the frequent nagging and I started resting my hand on the wheel, I immediately started having highway hypnosis. That is when I realized that vibration through the steering wheel has been what caused highway hypnosis for me all of my life. Fortunately, the steering wheel movement or unexpected speed adjustments typically pull me out of it in time, but I would most certainly use a defeat device to make me a safer driver if I wasn't concerned about the liability that using one could bring on me. Better still, I would have Tesla add the cabin camera to my vehicle instead of installing a defeat device if it allowed me to go hands-off. That having been said, based on the experiences others have mentioned and the fact that they typically don't apply on the highway, I'm not to concerned that I'll have the same issue while testing the pre-release FSD beta, and I certainly wouldn't be using a defeat device with the pre-release beta even if I had one that I was using prior to said beta (nor would I be resting my hands on my lap in city streets, highway driving is a completely different beast).
I found you reference to "highway hypnosis" interesting and while I was aware of it I never gave it much thought. I think it is an especially relevant now because of this new driving environment we are in. Highway hypnosis - Wikipedia Thanks.

I'm thinking more along the lines of like 12.0 before we see substantial improvement.

We should be able to make better judgments once 10.3 is released, and we get to "feel" the progress of 2 weeks.

If 10.3 simply enabled FSD to squeeze next to cars to make right turns, it'd be "100%" better than 10.2 for me. There's many "little" issues that, if fixed, would improve my FSD experience dramatically. Tone down the boost in light traffic would be another one.

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu and Phlier
My daily email to "FSDbeta" included the following:

"Team,

Today’s issues list, to be added to yesterday’s report, includes the following;

1. FSD continues to struggle/ignore the entrance to my neighborhood’s private road. Multiple dashcam vids submitted
  2. HVAC system behaves erratically since this firmware was installed; it randomly blasts and cycles, and in general, fan speed has greatly increased for same temperature settings
  3. Cooling pump systems continue to run long after the car is garaged and “plugged in”. May run continuously, for all I know (not watching it overnight whilst I sleep)
  4. FSD struggles mightily with one three-way stop “T” intersection. Many vids submitted
Best,"

I’ll have to check exactly how the other mirror is sitting and whether it’s blocking the camera.

BTW, the bigger mirror is a great tool for people with small kids.

Here is how it looks. May be the "pikabu" "Pikibu" mirror is not obstructing the cabin camera.

Ofcourse I'm extra vigilant now with FSD Beta ... so the camera wouldn't have triggered any notification.

PXL_20211016_175828995.jpg

PXL_20211016_175853350.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Phlier
For me I find that AP reduces Highway Hypnosis since the instinctual, mundane, task of keeping the car centered between the lines is the cause of mental and physical fatigue, over many hours of driving. In one day, I drove 700 miles in 12.5 hours (including charging), and felt fine at the end of the very long day, thanks to AutoPilot.

In our Model 3, I prefer to disengage AP/NoA (and now FSD beta/NoA) using the gear stalk (i.e. - tip the stalk up one notch/tick/step). Combined with instinctively pressing the accelerator pedal to match the current speed, it's a smoother transition from car control to manual/human control. So my question is: how else besides steering wheel torque and brake pedal can AP/NoA/FSD beta be cancelled/disengaged (since there are no stalks)?
Press the right thumbwheel. The exact behavior is determined on whether you have one-click or two-click set to engage AP in the first place.

• Helpful
Reactions: impastu
This is a follow-up to my first impressions post from last week. This time, I took FSD beta on a much wider variety of roads and conditions--from local nearby coffee runs, to my commute, to traveling along semi-rural exurban roads to a new grocery store (so there is some construction still around).

While some parts were great, the overall results were decidedly more mixed than my first runs, to the point where I'm hesitant to use FSD beta on anything except the shortest and simplest of drives. Here is my summary:
  • FSD Beta does continue to be fairly reliable on local neighborhood streets. There was no deterioration of performance there.
  • My commute route went far better than I expected, but that may be because there are relatively few complicated turns from my house to the highway exit. The handoff from FSD Beta to normal NoAP was seamless and I was even able to relax a little more than usual. (Caveat: this is obviously on weekend lack of traffic.)
  • What really, really did not work was a consistent case: when a left turn is coming up, but there's a lot of traffic moving at high speeds to the left and the turn lane is blocked off after a certain distance. FSD panicked a lot here, jerking the wheel back and forth as if wildly unsure of how to proceed. This honestly scared me and I quickly intervened at least 3 separate occasions. Once it looked like it was going to change lanes and plow into an oncoming motorcycle. It seems this scenario is very undertested, and dangerous.
  • A similar issue happened when the left turn lane was poorly marked on the painted lines. FSD Beta vision appears to heavily depend on the presence of well-painted lanes. In their absence, it again went jerky and unsure of itself.
  • Interestingly enough, the turns in general didn't feel quite as aggressive as my first run. Maybe I've gotten more used to it, but it appears that it's been refined somewhat.
  • I had to pump the accelerator a few times to nudge it forward a bit faster than it was going. I don't mind this; I was doing this already in normal AP so it's not a big deal.
  • One smaller thing that I liked was its behavior at four way stops--it patiently waits its turn and comes to a complete stop before proceeding. Though, living in California, some people may not appreciate the latter given how much we have the "California roll" (ie, most CA drivers don't completely stop at stop signs before proceeding). Obviously Tesla can't program that in. I didn't get honked at though.
I did my part and submitted clips on the most serious left turn lane change issues. Here in the Inland Empire this road setup is very common, especially on the really wide streets, and it's clearly not ready in the least.

After getting home, I've had to temper my initial enthusiasm for FSD Beta given its limitations have become really clear to me. It appears only ready for very simple drives, and anything beyond it can be very dicey. I'm happy I have the opportunity to test it, but I am also a naturally vigilant and careful driver (I had no issue getting 100 Safety Score w/o changing my driving habits), so I'm able to take control when necessary. IOW, I am the tester Tesla is looking for, but the experience isn't always pleasant, and I can totally understand if this is a turn off as much as a turn on for many people. I'd say this needs at least another year of refinement before it's even ready for actual beta.