Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gotta disagree there... I think Tesla logs whether it's steering, brake, or stick that disengaged. I'd REALLY HOPE that the steering correction is logged and reported as part of snapshots and disengagements (w/ the resulting snapshots). So, I disengage with stick when I mean "I want to go somewhere you don't" (know it's going to take the wrong lane, take a bad route and want it to reroute, etc). I disengage with wheel to say "Yo the lane is over here", and the brake to say "Yo, how about not sniffing that car's butthole".

Most of the time, I'm not surprised by TACC still running, and intend for it to do so. Sometimes, though rarely... TACC is on and it accelerates unexpectedly, and I brake that too. I respond really quickly to AP being stupid, not like most videos I see where the driver is ... pretty much letting FSD do its thing...

Hard to tell what the correct behavior would be, but honestly I'd lean towards steering breakout = TACC disengage as well, being something Tesla should implement. If braking disengages steering (and often, I wish it wouldn't), then having steering not complement disengaging acceleration as well is asymmetrical. Both modes ought to complement each other.

tl;dr: Tesla most likely uses the mode of disengagement as data, but I really believe they should disable TACC as well when disengaging by steering wheel.

I got the impression from watching Chuck Cook videos that using the stalk to disengage was a way to disengage without logging it. Essentially when you want to stop using FSD but don't want Tesla to view it as a disengagement, use the stalk. I personally have not heard from Tesla that this is the case; I am assuming that as an early-early FSD tester, he was given more info on how disengagement works.

Agree with the annoyance of TACC staying on after wheel disengagement. A few of us have asked Tesla to address that.

I have FSD Beta and I would go with something that expresses patience and is apologetic.

This feels elitists and I think the reality is that other drivers should not have to "deal with it", rather we as FSD Beta testers should be dealing with it.

Edit: or something funny like "Student AI Driver, Robot Overlord in Training"
Yea, I’m not really apologetic but I don’t want to come off like a **** either…

Reactions: Phlier and dduffey
I think you might want to reconsider.

If an accident occurs that you’re not at fault for the other party could still claim your self driving vehicle caused the collision and probably have a good case with that evidence. Maybe I’m just paranoid.
Good point and if you want to be even more paranoid, I could imagine this sign could be an invitation to getting your car keyed. I know a couple people with ASU vanity plates that have driven to UA-ASU games in Tucson and wished they hadn’t.

Is there a way to prevent this thing from changing lanes without warning to the lane in the opposite direction it needs to be going soon? In other words I’ll be in the right lane and need to turn right within a mile or two and all of a sudden it will signal and change to the left lane very quickly before I have a chance to prevent it. My lane was not slow or anything either, I see no reason it should be doing that.

Didnt Tesla say that the cabin camera images would NOT be transmitted, but were only to remind the driver? That having been said before, did we agree to something else when accepting 10.2 Beta?

Either way is ok with me. In fact, I just ordered new unmirrored sunglasses to replaced the old mirrored sunglasses that might hide my eyes.
I’m still working through these posts. So apologies if this is answered downstream. I always wear sunglasses when driving as my eyes are hyper-sensitive to sunlight. They’re not mirrored. However, any issues with wearing regular sunglasses when driving with Beta? Does it warn you with the “pay attention dings“? In other words. Any restrictions ie. “Can’t wear sunglasses while driving with Beta” because the camera “can’t” see your eyes?

Ski

I’m still working through these posts. So apologies if this is answered downstream. I always wear sunglasses when driving as my eyes are hyper-sensitive to sunlight. They’re not mirrored. However, any issues with wearing regular sunglasses when driving with Beta? Does it warn you with the “pay attention dings“? In other words. Any restrictions ie. “Can’t wear sunglasses while driving with Beta” because the camera “can’t” see your eyes?

Ski

I've used sunglasses with beta. No problems.

My FSD beta isn’t working this morning. The speed indicator is back to its usual area in the top center (Model S) and I can’t enable auto steer. I turned everything off and back on and it still isn’t working. Also tried a hard reboot and full car turn off. Any ideas??

Reactions: impastu
Is there a way to prevent this thing from changing lanes without warning to the lane in the opposite direction it needs to be going soon? In other words I’ll be in the right lane and need to turn right within a mile or two and all of a sudden it will signal and change to the left lane very quickly before I have a chance to prevent it. My lane was not slow or anything either, I see no reason it should be doing that.

It's pretty easy and quick to cancel a lane chg, simply half-tap the left stalk in the opposite direction. I do it all the time.

My FSD beta isn’t working this morning. The speed indicator is back to its usual area in the top center (Model S) and I can’t enable auto steer. I turned everything off and back on and it still isn’t working. Also tried a hard reboot and full car turn off. Any ideas??
I fixed it. Had to turn off ALL autopilot settings. Then back on. Weird.

Ski
I’m not sure camera is even mandatory.

I’ve always had a large mirror over the factory one that helps me see the kids at the back. FSD hasn't cribbed.

I’d like something higher up on the car. Someone linked custom magnets ...
@EVNow I think that might have been me, last night. For less than $6, and you can add or remove it at will, how can you go wrong (unless, perhaps, if you get into an accident)...

self driving.JPG

BTW, does anyone know whether Tesla took a new snapshot of safety scores or used the one from last week for the Yoker Beta rollout yesterday ?

If they took a new snapshot - that’s probably what they will do for 99 scorers next week.

Last edited:
BTW, does anyone know whether Tesla took a new snapshot of safety scores or used the one from last week for the Yorker Beta rollout yesterday ?
Good question, I have no idea.. my score has been 100 since Friday 10/8. Though I’m sure it will start dropping soon, thanks to hard braking from disengagements of FSD to prevent it from crashing my car into something.

@EVNow I think that might have been me, last night. For less than $6, and you can add or remove it at will, how can you go wrong (unless, perhaps, if you get into an accident)...

View attachment 722241

The magnet thing will get sand behind it and start sanding the paint off your car.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and EVNow

View attachment 722241

Just another way to screw us early Model S owners, how am I supposed to use magnets on my aluminum car! ;)