Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my car steer around a bit of road debris for the first time. Nice!!! It didn't seem to be represented in the visualization.

This was on a neighborhood street, and the debris was toward the left side of my lane. The car smoothly arced its path to the right side of my lane to completely avoid it. No braking at all. Had my eyes been closed, I wouldn't have even noticed the car was doing it.

OK, replying to my own post because things have changed, drastically. I went for another 20-mile drive to demo the breathtaking Plaid acceleration to some friends. I also demoed the FSD beta after first warning them that it is beta (maybe alpha) software and it won't do well. Well, it DID do well. Just a couple of minor braking events that weren't very noticeable. It did behave a bit quirky at a stop sign but did well on managing who goes and when. Nothing that embarrassed me. This was along the same roads as my first run. So, what the hell happened????

I'll be driving more with the beta and will pass along my experiences.
Seems like it can be great or awful at times. Just tested two days so far. Definitely did some weird things at times

I actually had a couple of good drives today excluding the constant phantom braking if I'm not following a car. FSD choose the correct lane several times which was great since on previous drives the wrong lanes were picked. Definitely fewer disengagements today, Could be because there was less traffic behind me so I was able to let FSD go for 20-30 seconds without having to worry about the drivers behind me go crazy.

i wonder if editing open street maps would help FSD (after however long it takes for the map updates), I mention this bc I’ve read about people (and myself experiencing) FSD choosing the wrong lane to make a turn.
My personal experience has been that openstreetmaps will make a difference in parking lots but not on roads. I made changes to a parking lot and can see it on the map in the car (I am not 100% sure but I believe it didn't require a navigation update to the car before I saw the changes) I also made changes on the roads but did not notice any difference with speed limit data or mapping of an address that was being placed on the wrong road on a corner lot. I have tried everything to fix speed limit data, made sure OSM was updated, waze (owned by google) is updated, and reported the issues to google for their own mapping and nothing has fixed the issues in my car for over a year and a half. It would be great if they would be more transparent about where different data comes from or even had their own data and allowed certain people to help them fix it. I've been an area manager on Waze since not too long after it was created and would be happy to help the Tesla community with map data.

One FSD enhancement I'd like to see is managing acceleration better on short residential streets.
When I make a left hand turn out of my street its 384 feet to the next intersection. FSD wants to accelerate rapidly to 30mph then slow down abruptly where it then begins creeping. This is nuts and of course will wear the brakes out. So much for regenerative braking.

To avoid this as soon as FSD makes the left hand turn I immediately reduce the speed. And of course the same problem happens in the reverse direction. Seems like an enhancement that wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

I hope Tesla realizes that pretty much everything about FSD acceleration has to be changed once snow and ice are on the roads so they better make addressing acceleration a high priority. Good example is yesterday when FSD took a highway exit ramp at relatively high speed. If I did that with the road covered in snow or ice I would have been in the ditch, guaranteed. In snow and ice since it was a sharp exit ramp, 20mph might have been slow enough. The way FSD acceleration works now when snow//ice cover the road I'll disable FSD and I suspect everyone else will too. I'm assuming Tesla is already working on this but you can only work on so many priority FSD enhancements.

Last edited:
Yes. Got it Friday night with a recent uptick to 99. I signed up a month ago, but I'm not sure that matters.
Interesting seems like it might j be random then, I also signed up ab as soon as it came out, but I reset my score after one false FCW on 10/24 dropping my high 99 to a 98, and have a 100 rn w/ 124 mi, but hit 101 mi Friday afternoon, fingers crossed that I get it tomorrow

Have you guys experienced the lag in deceleration if you reduce the speed with the scroll wheel? I'll tell it to reduce speed and it takes forever to drop the speed. I noticed the same for reducing speed when it passes a lower speed limit sign example: there is an area that goes from 45 to 35 to 25 in a fairly short distance, I get into the 25 zone and im still doing 40.

Have you guys experienced the lag in deceleration if you reduce the speed with the scroll wheel? I'll tell it to reduce speed and it takes forever to drop the speed. I noticed the same for reducing speed when it passes a lower speed limit sign example: there is an area that goes from 45 to 35 to 25 in a fairly short distance, I get into the 25 zone and im still doing 40.
Pretty sure it’s deliberate. They don’t want the car to hard brake to get below a speed limit. Iirc, It was a complaint by drivers for AP that the car would slow way too quickly when they reduced speed or passed a speed limit sign that was lower (or the car THOUGHT it passed a speed limit sign that was lower).

Reactions: EVNow
I haven't experienced this at all. It reacts immediately and usually smoothly for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier
I actually had a couple of good drives today excluding the constant phantom braking if I'm not following a car. FSD choose the correct lane several times which was great since on previous drives the wrong lanes were picked. Definitely fewer disengagements today, Could be because there was less traffic behind me so I was able to let FSD go for 20-30 seconds without having to worry about the drivers behind me go crazy.
So random. Good drive one day, and abysmal the next - same route, similar conditions. Doesn’t instill any confidence at all. Looking forward to seeing if 10.4 is any better, repeatability wise.

Did anyone try FSD beta on the Halloween night in neighborhood roads?
I specifically avoided using it when making a quick run to get more candy. Ironically, because it is painfully slow (and I can get around the neighborhood more safely and more quickly - in spite of me having a lower average moving speed!).

Going to work everyday, I come up on wabash ave and turn right on rose-hulman rd. The speed limit on wabash ave is 45 mph. The speed limit on rose-hulman st is 15 mph. When I am driving manually, it is very easy. I come to a complete stop at the intersection (there are traffic lights not shown in this pic) and then make a slow 90 degree right turn at about 8-10 mph when it is clear. There is a speed limit sign after the turn that clearly says 15 but FSD Beta reads it as 25 mph. Weird because it is a normal, plainly visible sign. If I manually change the TACC speed to 10 mph, it handles the rose-hulman st pretty well, even the tight bends. But it does not know to do that since it thinks the speed limit is 25 mph.

RjFX1iP.png

There is a speed limit sign after the turn that clearly says 15 but FSD Beta reads it as 25 mph. Weird because it is a normal, plainly visible sign.
I wonder if a car camera is able to get a good look at it given the turn and the location of the sign. If not, the car may be using a speed limit database instead, and these are sometimes wrong / outdated. Might be interesting to try the turn from the other direction to see if it makes a difference.

I wonder if a car camera is able to get a good look at it given the turn and the location of the sign. If not, the car may be using a speed limit database instead, and these are sometimes wrong / outdated. Might be interesting to try the turn from the other direction to see if it makes a difference.

I will try different coming from a different direction. But I will point out that once you complete the turn, the front cameras will have a clear view of the speed limit sign. So the car should immediately slow after the turn as soon as the front cameras see the speed limit sign but it continues to drive past the speed limit sign at the same speed. I specifically noticed that the speed limit on the screen does not update after the car passes the speed limit sign.