Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. FSDbeta would slow on some turns where it couldn't, nor could I, see around the bend. It looks like a similar condition here.
I don't think its about not able to see around the bend. Its about slowing down for the bend.

As I said
- Doesn't slow down at hill crests
- Doesn't slow down when going up the hill around the same bends

And we do know the car slows for bends - infact the criticism in the past has been that it doesn't slow down enough. In this case because of 35 mph advisory, it would be appropriate to slow down to 35 - but not to 30 as it does.

I don't think its about not able to see around the bend. Its about slowing down for the bend.

As I said

And we do know the car slows for bends - infact the criticism in the past has been that it doesn't slow down enough. In this case because of 35 mph advisory, it would be appropriate to slow down to 35 - but not to 30 as it does.
On the FSD beta stack (36.8.9) mine tried to take a hairpin marked at 25 at 59 today (55 MPH limit). Surprised the heck out of me as I usually have to coax it through similar intersections at a reasonable speed.

Unfortunately hadn't taken that route before on previous versions. 59 would have been unsafe and I took over. Pretty sure a 3P wouldn't have handled it, definitely not in a MYLR. I'm sure somebody on here knows how they arrive at the absolute limits when creating those advisory speeds.

Sounds like a contradiction.

Going inside of bend: tighter line with more visibility.
Going outside of bend: less visibility.

As I said

You mean going uphill we'll have more visibility ?

Doesn't seem so. But You can go faster because gravity helps when braking.

vlcsnap-2021-12-06-14h16m08s627.png

ps : In both cases FSD should be able to make out the road is turning by looking at the edge of the road.

Last edited:

You mean going uphill we'll have more visibility ?

Doesn't seem so. But You can go faster because gravity helps when braking.

View attachment 741396

ps : In both cases FSD should be able to make out the road is turning by looking at the edge of the road.

Given something (hill, signs, houses, etc) ... generically it seems out the outside of a bend would have more visibility. Image below.

6km4yiL.jpg

Due to work and holiday travel, I just recently got my first 10.5 drives in. Like many, I found the overall experience to be a bit more confident than 10.4. That having been said, I had one very unsafe experience moving through a stop light. FSD decided to move through a yellow light. It was one of those situations where the light turned yellow at that very instant a human would be 50/50 on whether to slow for the light, or decide to continue through. When it continued through, I thought it was a bit aggressive, but I was cool with it. As we reached the halfway point of the intersection, I looked up and saw the light turn red. Almost immediately, the FSD hit the brakes hard, moving from 45 to 20 before we exited the intersection. It was jarring to say the least, and fortunately no one was moving through the yellow with me.

I have not heard of anyone else reporting this. Plus, this was once tweeted as a future feature but was never shown in the release notes. You mention you were on a slope. Sometimes the car will roll back on a slope of the brakes are not held tightly enough. That appears to be the most likely explanation.
I’m not the only one. Also, you mean the car roll back upslope? The road was lower than the parking lot car exited.

I find it rarely is touching the brakes, never like phantom braking unless it is really hitting the brakes are going heavy into regen. Mostly I find it is just lifting off the accelerator, and regen is kicking in and it feels like braking in a normal car since it won't coast so to speak.
Technically, I think the "black box" keeps track of the accelerator position and the throttle position separately for accident investigation, but you did say "so to speak" so you potentially understand that. Regardless, remember that the computer controls all of these functions individually. Put another way, even if the human only has one input that controls both throttle and regen, FSD can potentially control the two separately. Case in point, FSD just moved into a lower speed limit and adjusted the max set speed, but no regen is occurring. Do you really think "FSD is holding the accelerator down and overriding the cruise control set speed"? I should hope not considering that the displayed set speed changes when you disengage (to test this, engage FSD, adjust your set speed, and then break out of FSD using the steering wheel, you will see that the speed that was displayed which you had adjusted was the set FSD speed and not the set TACC speed).

FSD is driving, but it isn't using the human controls, and there is no reason that it can't have more granular control than Tesla has opted to allow human drivers to access. Also, FWIW, my front wheels never had obvious brake dust on them until after I got FSD beta, and now they are black as typical silver front BMW wheels. While it may use as much regen as possible to slow, IMO, it uses a heck of a lot more actual braking than necessary, too.

Still on 10.5.

The car had its worst maneuver since 10.3 today. Car went around a stopped garbage truck by going into opposite traffic lane and didn’t go back to the correct lane after clearing the truck. The road was a two lane road, and it centered itself in the lane as if everything was normal. 10.5 has definitely been confident in everything it does, even if it’s wrong :)

Still on 10.5.

FSD has been all over the place for me. 70%-80% of the time it's good, the rest of time it's infuriatingly bad. The constant micro-slowdowns are uncomfortable for me and my passengers, it sometimes tries to move into incoming traffic, and I'm constantly having to give it some "gas" to spur it into action at way too many intersections.

I keep reminding myself that this is beta, that I'm on the edge of technology, that I'll be able to say that I was one of the first testers and see first-hand how the technology evolves. But it can be so dangerous, and, at the very least, frustrating.

To be fair there is a lot of construction in my area, which causes confusion because it seems that what FSD sees does not match the maps. This is understandable, and thus using FSD in those areas is dangerous and frustrating at best. Even in non-construction areas FSD does things that are inexplicable (to me).

Since I seem to be griping, I'll mention that while I understand Tesla's position on the hands-on-wheel nag, it has a tendency to make drives unenjoyable. Way too much nagging IMO. And the pacing on the confirm-before-lane-change on AP is terrible. Half the time I'm barely making the nudge because I'm busy checking my blind-spot and the car is demanding I nudge and...just don't like that aspect of it.

I could go on. I realize it's beta. Just getting some frustrations off my chest. I'm looking forward to this actually being FSD.

I have a couple of interesting data points to report after driving almost 100% in FSD 10.5 for the last couple of weeks.

I spend more of my energy monitoring the car speed than anything else. Sometimes it is very good like when approaching my off ramp, it's a short off ramp that regular NoA will not take. FSD beta starts slowing to 65 then 60 mph while still on the freeway, and successfully slows to 30 mph before the hard right turn at the end of the very short off ramp. It is all very smooth and feels great!

Other times it is genuinely frustrating when it misreads a 35 mph truck sign as a speed limit while otherwise I was set at 55 mph going over Highway 17. I will literally need to adjust the speed about 30 times on my 35 mile commute.

Yesterday I had a real aggressive driver in a white box truck who decided to use a right turn lane to pass me then jump back in line to go straight, with only a few feet to spare. I only noticed this maneuver because FSD dodged fully to the left hand side of the lane to avoid the side swipe. I would not have reacted as quickly, and in the end I didn't need to do anything while FSD kept me from an accident.

Another point to mention is the lack of cameras pointed in the appropriate directions. I have a road on my daily commute where my road joins into another road with a very steep angle. It is basically a Y intersection where 2 roads come together and become one, with my road having a stop sign.

FSD will possibly never be able to safely navigate this intersection because there is no camera angle that shows the oncoming cars. I double-checked this with the rear view camera mode, and neither of the side view cameras really show this well enough to gauge whether another car is coming from this direction.

Yesterday I also heard a new beep I had never heard before, it was 3 low tones, much lower range tones than I have heard from the warnings before. I was in the middle of a right turn, where I had a dedicated lane but that lane just crossed a green reflective bike lane. Just as I manually used the blinker to shift into this turn lane I got the error, but I am still not sure what happened. I looked down at the screen but was unable to catch what the error was, it looked like some stop sign popped up for a fraction of a second. I often activate my blinker in this area, as otherwise FSD ignores the dedicated turn lane, and waits in the forward traveling lanes to turn right until the last second and then suddenly.

Finally, what is up with the reverse command? Sometimes it will allow me to shift to reverse without pressing the brake, but 90% of the time the car will now complain when I shift from D to R and tell me to press the brake. Without Beta, I could always shift to reverse when under 5 mph, but beta seems to allow it sometimes and not others.

Due to work and holiday travel, I just recently got my first 10.5 drives in. Like many, I found the overall experience to be a bit more confident than 10.4. That having been said, I had one very unsafe experience moving through a stop light. FSD decided to move through a yellow light. It was one of those situations where the light turned yellow at that very instant a human would be 50/50 on whether to slow for the light, or decide to continue through. When it continued through, I thought it was a bit aggressive, but I was cool with it. As we reached the halfway point of the intersection, I looked up and saw the light turn red. Almost immediately, the FSD hit the brakes hard, moving from 45 to 20 before we exited the intersection. It was jarring to say the least, and fortunately no one was moving through the yellow with me.
This is a great example where I REALLY hope that Tesla FSD AI is USING the REAR camera in some way to decide whether or not slamming on the brakes (and possibly resulting in a serious rear end impact from a following car) is going to lead to a worse outcome than accelerating through the intersection (and I guess hoping that a motorcycle or a Model Plaid isn't waiting for the light to change to green) and avoiding the rear end collision. But at this point, I sort of doubt it.

I spend more of my energy monitoring the car speed than anything else. Sometimes it is very good like when approaching my off ramp, it's a short off ramp that regular NoA will not take. FSD beta starts slowing to 65 then 60 mph while still on the freeway, and successfully slows to 30 mph before the hard right turn at the end of the very short off ramp. It is all very smooth and feels great!

Other times it is genuinely frustrating when it misreads a 35 mph truck sign as a speed limit while otherwise I was set at 55 mph going over Highway 17. I will literally need to adjust the speed about 30 times on my 35 mile commute.

Yesterday I had a real aggressive driver in a white box truck who decided to use a right turn lane to pass me then jump back in line to go straight, with only a few feet to spare. I only noticed this maneuver because FSD dodged fully to the left hand side of the lane to avoid the side swipe. I would not have reacted as quickly, and in the end I didn't need to do anything while FSD kept me from an accident.
None of that is FSD Beta. Thats all on the freeway, right ?