Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check the map in those areas. Won’t be surprised if it’s a mapping issue.

If there were cars coming in the opposite lane, it is unlikely the car would have switched lanes.
Do you have a link? What’s the best venue? TomTom, OpenMaps? I have one area that does exactly what the “Hyperbole Guy” did (minus the over the river and through the woods to Gramdmas house we go bit). It’s done it 2 or 3 times. What was crazy is the first time (which caught me by surprise) was it actually turned on the left turn signal first (with no left turnoff on a double yellow burb back road) before it departed so at least I had a warning.

Ski

Do you have a link? What’s the best venue? TomTom, OpenMaps? I have one area that does exactly what the “Hyperbole Guy” did (minus the over the river and through the woods to Gramdmas house we go bit). It’s done it 2 or 3 times. What was crazy is the first time (which caught me by surprise) was it actually turned on the left turn signal first (with no left turnoff on a double yellow burb back road) before it departed so at least I had a warning.

Ski
It seems Tesla uses mostly TomTom. So you can check that - but what you can see in TomTom is limited. OSM shows you more details - but Tesla may not be using it.

BTW, slightly going over the yellow line is not that unusual over bends (or turns) - what would be unusual is doing that if some car is coming in the oncoming lane.

Yes….cars WERE coming in the oncoming lane….I prevented a head on in both cases. Third case no car. Controllable though. I run FSD Beta with BOTH hands on the wheel ALWAYS as a result of these departures and others vids. It’s saved me many times. Thanks for the info. I’ll check them out.

Ski
Here is the thread on TomTom.

I've found that when I increase the speed through certain turns (such as Interstate ramps) using the accelerator, the vehicle leaves the lane instead of maintaining its planned path trajectory. It's interesting to me that they're focusing on further lateral jerk improvement when accelerator override may not be taken into consideration to begin with. Seems like this could lead people maintaining speed into roundabouts into a bit of trouble.
I've experience this issue multiple times as well. While the car is beginning to turn, or already turning/in a turn, and I press the go pedal because its either being too hesitant or too slow, the steering wheel will not adjust correctly (like your explanation: the car is now going faster than its original trajectory) and I've had to take over the wheel because it would have either left the current lane or in a few cases actually hit the curb. Keep in mind the car is completely capable of handling these turns at these speeds, I wasn't anywhere close to pushing the car beyond its capabilities.

• Informative
Reactions: mxnym and S4WRXTTCS
I've experience this issue multiple times as well. While the car is beginning to turn, or already turning/in a turn, and I press the go pedal because its either being too hesitant or too slow, the steering wheel will not adjust correctly (like your explanation: the car is now going faster than its original trajectory) and I've had to take over the wheel because it would have either left the current lane or in a few cases actually hit the curb. Keep in mind the car is completely capable of handling these turns at these speeds, I wasn't anywhere close to pushing the car beyond its capabilities.
My biggest fear nudging it through turns or intersections. Definitely tricky to nudge it just enough without threatening the original planned path.

Reactions: loquitur
It seems Tesla uses mostly TomTom. So you can check that - but what you can see in TomTom is limited. OSM shows you more details - but Tesla may not be using it.

BTW, slightly going over the yellow line is not that unusual over bends (or turns) - what would be unusual is doing that if some car is coming in the oncoming lane.

That's a great video illustrating a case where I would have taken over to save my rims.

One of these days I'm going to set up a camera not on my car, but on a curb it gets awfully close to.

Happy Holidays and best of luck on 10.8.... Elon just called me and said he is giving me my Xmas wish, to get v12 single stack beta tomorrow instead of 10.8. I will post updates as I use it. Wait, that didn't happen, I just drank too much last night. Shoot, I guess I will get 10.8...all bs aside stay safe TMC!

Reactions: JeremyJ
Happy Holidays and best of luck on 10.8.... Elon just called me and said he is giving me my Xmas wish, to get v12 single stack beta tomorrow instead of 10.8. I will post updates as I use it. Wait, that didn't happen, I just drank too much last night. Shoot, I guess I will get 10.8...all bs aside stay safe TMC!
Happy Sol Invictus to all and stay safe.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Today (10.5) I came to a B-pillar blind right I take almost every day. It is on a low traffic road and always clear. Beta is always very hesitant with lots of creeping before finally deciding to pull out. I know how to "peak' around the trees to see if it is clear. However today Beta pulled up and after coming to a stop assertively started turning right for the first time, the way a human would. :cool:Just one BIG problem. There was car coming from the left.:eek:o_O

I'm on 10.5 and the car exhibited some really troubling behavior this past weekend. I was traveling in a mostly rural area with very few cars on 2 lane country roads. All of the sudden with no warning or signal, the car changed lanes across the double yellow line and fully into the opposing lane. Thankfully there were no cars coming at me at the time. It did this three more times thru out the weekend. Even with FSD turned off, I noticed the green dotted line periodically nosing into the opposite lane indicating where the car would go had FSD been activated. I hit the snapshot button each time. Has anyone seen this behavior? Doesn't instill confidence.
Not exactly the same, but I did have this yesterday. We were on a multilane highway, approaching a left turn onto a local road. There is a concrete island with a "sculpted" curb to create a left-turn lane as you get close to the crossroad. Before the concrete median even begins, there is a double yellow separating the north and south traffic. The car chose to cross the yellow, putting it on a collision course with the concrete median. Obviously, I took over.

Reactions: impastu
Today (10.5) I came to a B-pillar blind right I take almost every day. It is on a low traffic road and always clear. Beta is always very hesitant with lots of creeping before finally deciding to pull out. I know how to "peak' around the trees to see if it is clear. However today Beta pulled up and after coming to a stop assertively started turning right for the first time, the way a human would. :cool:Just one BIG problem. There was car coming from the left.:eek:o_O
The exact thing happened to me yesterday. It has never done this before. I am so used to the creeping where it happened to me, my foot wasn't hovering over the brake. The car just went and I hit the brakes as my front end entered the road. That was my last time on beta for the day. I was busy changing my pants 👖

• Funny
Reactions: JulienW and impastu
I have had this happen multiple times same intersection. No Stop sign so FSD drives up quickly to the edge of the intersection and stops abruptly. Foot touching brake pedal. No room to creep more than a foot. All good until it decides to pull out when it shouldn't. I keep taking snapshots and sending emails to FSD beta including some still photos of the intersection. I just don't know how they fix this camera location problem. Hardware 4?

Either they know something we don't about releasing FSD Beta to everyone or they are dumb. I vote for the latter.
I read that as a next major milestone without associated timing. Instead of knowing something we don't or being dumb, it's kinda an obvious statement since having a commercial FSD product been been the plan all along.

Since no timeline was mentioned for the general release, this was non-news to me and fluff.

The interesting bit is the 90% success for manufacturing processes of the 4680 batteries.

Either they know something we don't about releasing FSD Beta to everyone or they are dumb. I vote for the latter.
All they're really saying is that Beta should be coming to those with a Safety Score of 98 and rolling out FSD to the full fleet is the big milestone

This is pretty much exactly the process Tesla communicated to the California DMV

I read that as a next major milestone without associated timing. Instead of knowing something we don't or being dumb, it's kinda an obvious statement since having a commercial FSD product been been the plan all along.

Since no timeline was mentioned for the general release, this was non-news to me and fluff.

The interesting bit is the 90% success for manufacturing processes of the 4680 batteries.
Saying 90% run-rate success for the manufacturing processes of the 4680 batteries is a different way of repeating Tesla saying in July that they're working on the last 10%:

“We have successfully validated performance and lifetime of our 4680 cells produced at our Kato facility in California. We are nearing the end of manufacturing validation at Kato: field quality and yield are at viable levels, and our focus is now on improving the 10% of manufacturing processes that currently bottleneck production output. While substantial progress has been made, we still have work ahead of us before we can achieve volume production.”

Reactions: impastu