Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I reported similar FSDj safety issues a few weeks back, called this “Junk,” and did as you did (stopped using said Junk),the FSDp fanboy community came forth with pitchforks and chants! Especially the Floridian (aka, “Florida man…”), @Ramphex and his sidekicks, @FSDtester#1 and @WilliamG😝

View attachment 945367
Wasn’t this one of the NHTSA issues that they supposedly fixed?

Oh did they have to update the firmware to get Beta? My car wants me to update to 2023.12.5.

Look here:
TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

And here:
Tesla Software Updates & Release Notes - Latest Tesla Updates

It's the same information presented differently.

Basic rules:
1) You cannot downgrade versions (notwithstanding anything Tesla might be able to do).
2) In order to get FSDb, you need a version that includes the FSDb stack.
3) If you currently do not have FSDb, and subsequently subscribe to FSD and request FSDb, your car will download a newer software version that has FSDb, if one is available.
4) Non-FSDb releases obviously do not have FSDb functionality.

It's more important to know what your car is currently on. For example, if your car is on 2023.12.9.1 or earlier, then it can download 2023.12.10 with 11.3.6 FSDb.

The fact that your car wants to update to 2023.12.5, then once you subscribe to FSD, and request FSDb, it should have no issues downloading 2023.12.10. How long that will take to pop up on your car, I do not know. I can only share what I observed back in May.

If your car is currently on 2023.6.100.1 or earlier, I wonder if it will download 2023.7.10 with FSDb 11.4.2. Note that even though this is an older infotainment version, the FSDb version is newer than 2023.12.10. Some people prefer the newer infotainment with the .12 release because there are many new features.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hiline
Tesla seems to authorize software downloads in batches of cars. The last big rollout of FSD was 2023.7.10 (FSD 11.4.2). They have just started releasing 2023.7.15 (FSD 11.4.3), but that is only authorized for a few cars yet. Based on history, if that version proves to be good, it could start a wider rollout in three or four days.

I doubt Tesla will add any more cars to FSD 11.3.6 (2023.12.10), as the number of cars pending for that version on TeslaFi has not increased for many days. I recommend to not install any software update newer than 2023.7.15, to preserve the ability to get that version if Tesla starts a wider release.

Look here:
TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

And here:
Tesla Software Updates & Release Notes - Latest Tesla Updates

It's the same information presented differently.

Basic rules:
1) You cannot downgrade versions (notwithstanding anything Tesla might be able to do).
2) In order to get FSDb, you need a version that includes the FSDb stack.
3) If you currently do not have FSDb, and subsequently subscribe to FSD and request FSDb, your car will download a newer software version that has FSDb, if one is available.
4) Non-FSDb releases obviously do not have FSDb functionality.

It's more important to know what your car is currently on. For example, if your car is on 2023.12.9.1 or earlier, then it can download 2023.12.10 with 11.3.6 FSDb.

The fact that your car wants to update to 2023.12.5, then once you subscribe to FSD, and request FSDb, it should have no issues downloading 2023.12.10. How long that will take to pop up on your car, I do not know. I can only share what I observed back in May.

If your car is currently on 2023.6.100.1 or earlier, I wonder if it will download 2023.7.10 with FSDb 11.4.2. Note that even though this is an older infotainment version, the FSDb version is newer than 2023.12.10. Some people prefer the newer infotainment with the .12 release because there are many new features.

Tesla seems to authorize software downloads in batches of cars. The last big rollout of FSD was 2023.7.10 (FSD 11.4.2). They have just started releasing 2023.7.15 (FSD 11.4.3), but that is only authorized for a few cars yet. Based on history, if that version proves to be good, it could start a wider rollout in three or four days.

I doubt Tesla will add any more cars to FSD 11.3.6 (2023.12.10), as the number of cars pending for that version on TeslaFi has not increased for many days. I recommend to not install any software update newer than 2023.7.15, to preserve the ability to get that version if Tesla starts a wider release.

Thank you both for these very helpful posts! My car is currently on 2022.28.2 which it looks like doesn’t come with a corresponding FSD version. 2023.12.5 doesn’t either. How do I get Tesla to update me to an earlier FSD-compatible version like 2023.7.15?

This is not true. My cousin was on 2023.6.x and was waiting to get FSD for when he was going to take a trip. He subscribed yesterday and immediately got 2023.12.10 update and used FSD beta 11.3.6 around San Francisco.

If you are below 2023.12.10 you can subscribe still and immediately get the update and be on FSD beta.

This is not true. My cousin was on 2023.6.x and was waiting to get FSD for when he was going to take a trip. He subscribed yesterday and immediately got 2023.12.10 update and used FSD beta 11.3.6 around San Francisco.

If you are below 2023.12.10 you can subscribe still and immediately get the update and be on FSD beta.
In that case, it should be "safe" to update to 2023.12.5. I have had two updates in a day before, so it is quite possible that after updating to 2023.12.5, the car would find an available update to 2023.12.10.

But, the cars supposedly only automatically check for updates once a day (plus you can manually check once every 24 hours). So, the update check cadence could push the subsequent update to the following day.

Reactions: Hiline
There’s some discussion on that article in at least one other thread. The driver apparently not only tried to use basic autopilot on a windy, unmarked road, but also intentionally defeated the safety mechanisms while the article ignored most/all of this as well as other pertinent information.

There’s some discussion on that article in at least one other thread. The driver apparently not only tried to use basic autopilot on a windy, unmarked road, but also intentionally defeated the safety mechanisms while the article ignored most/all of this as well as other pertinent information.
The driver? It's 17 fatalities and 736 crashes, skyrocketing since the release of FSD. That's drivers, and that's widespread. And they're actual experiences.

• Disagree
Reactions: STUtoday and EVNow
The driver? It's 17 fatalities and 736 crashes, skyrocketing since the release of FSD. That's drivers, and that's widespread. And they're actual experiences.
The article is just a hit piece with lots of rehashed BS. Same crap as Faiz always writes. Starts right out with an "actual experience" that's "allegedly" on Autopilot. And wasn't a fatality or a crash.

You act as if there were only 17 fatalities on the roads during this period of time. Sad to say non FSDb and AP drivers are terrible and cause accidents as well. While I hate Elon, and I suspect driver disengagement makes FSDb and AP look far safer than the all vehicles on the road stat, Teslas do appear to be safer even when not using driver assist features. There has been some discussion that is because demographically the majority of Tesla drivers fall into lower accident rate age groups (TL:DR are old), but the numbers are impressive.

I don't trust my FSDb and I don't use it, but I would like to see how many fatalities and crashes there were in other brands of cars during that time period before coming to a conclusion about the safety of the software vs not having the software.

We complain about frequent lane changing on FSDb but here's an example of a Chevy doing dangerous lane changes. It may be that drivers like this, in Teslas, have taught the NN the lane changing behaviour we are complaining about.

Reactions: willow_hiller
We complain about frequent lane changing on FSDb but here's an example of a Chevy doing dangerous lane changes. It may be that drivers like this, in Teslas, have taught the NN the lane changing behaviour we are complaining about.

This is an interesting point. Wonder how California-biased the training data is, given how California dominates Tesla sales and likely FSD purchases.

I’ve found v11.4.2 to be one of the better and smoother releases. Still a turd, but now a polished turd.
Weird, 11.4.2 seems like mostly regressions and new issues when compared to 11.3.6 in my experience. I'm sure the map data update I got around the same time (from 2022.22 to 2022.44) didn't help, but the regressions I'm experiencing are definitely NOT map data related since they happened before the map data update, too (just not in 11.3.6).

Reactions: jebinc

Just sharing some of my actual experiences from the last 2 days. No words. Just the videos. You make up your own opinions.

In that case, it should be "safe" to update to 2023.12.5. I have had two updates in a day before, so it is quite possible that after updating to 2023.12.5, the car would find an available update to 2023.12.10.

But, the cars supposedly only automatically check for updates once a day (plus you can manually check once every 24 hours). So, the update check cadence could push the subsequent update to the following day.

So after updating to 2023.12.5, my car automatically downloaded navigation map 2022.44, and then immediately started downloading software update 2023.12.11. Once the download is completed, should I proceed with the update? I thought Tesla would have me update to 2023.12.10 because of my FSD Beta request. After the 2023.12.5 update, I got the “available in an upcoming software release” note.