Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And AI Addict finally uploaded his O'Dowd test runs and of course it wasn't pretty. In arguably the best test run FSD slowed but still hit the child walking the dog and then promptly continued by running over child/dog in hit and run fashion.

I get the feeling FSD is destined for stronger oversight/guardrails.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
It’s really unreal what “the community” allows this guy to get away with saying…. There is no chance in hell this will happen. Zero.

Lol. I don’t even know what to say to that kind of nonsense. Elon, just stop, dude. Focus on what you’re doing and not on making bombastic, headline-getting statements that have 0.000000000% of being true.

It's really unreal that people read what this guy has to say and react to it. Just ignore him. Stop following him. Stop getting worked up about every word out of his mouth. When a guy on a street corner has a sign up saying "The End is Near - Repent!", there isn't endless debate on internet forums about it. We all just ignore the guy and move on with our lives.

"But, but, but, he's the CEO - we have to listen to him!" Nope. I've owned my car for over 2 years, and been in Beta for since late 2021. I never knew the guy existed on Twitter, and never really cared. The only time I ever hear what he says is when people quote him here on TMC, or the occasional news story about Tesla or SpaceX.

Just stop following him - just stop listening to him - just stop. You'll live a happier life for it.

It's really unreal that people read what this guy has to say and react to it. Just ignore him. Stop following him. Stop getting worked up about every word out of his mouth. When a guy on a street corner has a sign up saying "The End is Near - Repent!", there isn't endless debate on internet forums about it. We all just ignore the guy and move on with our lives.

"But, but, but, he's the CEO - we have to listen to him!" Nope. I've owned my car for over 2 years, and been in Beta for since late 2021. I never knew the guy existed on Twitter, and never really cared. The only time I ever hear what he says is when people quote him here on TMC, or the occasional news story about Tesla or SpaceX.

Just stop following him - just stop listening to him - just stop. You'll live a happier life for it.
We absolutely do not have to listen to him. The point was that the community here, at large, lives on his every word. Also, shareholders, employees and the regulators continue to allow him to spout such nonsense - unchallenged. The dude is not a God or even a demigod - just an everyday capitalist Charlatan...

@WilliamG

Had a real case scenario today with a dog running in front of the car. Dog was moving from right to left then turned around and ran back in front of the car. The car slowed and swerved slightly and alarms went off. In my opinion the dog was never in danger of being hit because the car reacted as soon as it saw the dog. I was impressed. I want to add that the car did not come to a complete stop. I believe this is correct if a dog is involved, because while it would be sad to kill or harm the dog a very sudden stop or swerving into oncoming traffic, to avoid the dog, could cause a traffic accident harming people in your or a following or oncoming vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: kabin

Either:

1. A random YouTuber's test is not representative of the real world to the extent where Tesla's basic AEB isn't functioning.

or

2. The Euro NCAP and every international auto-regulator has been deceived by Tesla with a non-production firmware build that magically improves performance, but only while being tested:

Occam's Razor tells us that the answer is #1.

• Funny
Reactions: kabin
Either:

1. A random YouTuber's test is not representative of the real world to the extent where Tesla's basic AEB isn't functioning.

or

2. The Euro NCAP and every international auto-regulator has been deceived by Tesla with a non-production firmware build that magically improves performance, but only while being tested:

Occam's Razor tells us that the answer is #1.

If only the real world was that simple and there were just 2 possibilities you might have something there. :)

• Funny
Had a real case scenario today with a dog running in front of the car. Dog was moving from right to left then turned around and ran back in front of the car. The car slowed and swerved slightly and alarms went off. In my opinion the dog was never in danger of being hit because the car reacted as soon as it saw the dog. I was impressed. I want to add that the car did not come to a complete stop. I believe this is correct if a dog is involved, because while it would be sad to kill or harm the dog a very sudden stop or swerving into oncoming traffic, to avoid the dog, could cause a traffic accident harming people in your or a following or oncoming vehicle.
Glad it worked out. You probably saw the above video had an embedded case of a real dog killing by an FSD enabled tesla. For sure we could come up with an endless list of variables why it might fail or succeed.

I found the simulated dog test result to be odd given the dog was plainly visible at the road edge before it began walking across the road. Very strange.

Glad it worked out. You probably saw the above video had an embedded case of a real dog killing by an FSD enabled tesla. For sure we could come up with an endless list of variables why it might fail or succeed.

I found the simulated dog test result to be odd given the dog was plainly visible at the road edge before it began walking across the road. Very strange.
The only thing I can think of is that in the tests conducted by Euro NCAP there was leg movement simulated and in the other test there was not. What I can say is that in my real-world case it did work.

I experienced a strange system crash with v11.4.3. It just plain refused to run. I rebooted the UI and noticed v11.4.5 was now waiting for download. Not sure why I never received the (UI or app) notice from almost 2 weeks ago. Anyway, I downloaded it and drove about 3 miles or so but not enough for a compare/contrast.

The good with Tesla is OTA software updates. The bad with Tesla is the software is unstable.

The only thing I can think of is that in the tests conducted by Euro NCAP there was leg movement simulated and in the other test there was not. What I can say is that in my real-world case it did work.
Per Tesla staff, in the future the system will operate in real time and not rely so much on preloaded assumptions about object characteristics. It's long overdue as there's always exceptions to simplistic rules like it can be difficult to distinguish legs on long haired dogs or arms/legs when pedestrians wear trench/rain coats.

Been driving 11.4.4 for a while now. Very smooth. The things differentiating this from level 5 as it stands now:

• Processing speed. My interventions are usually when the system is too slow at deciding. Phantom braking is a typical example of not enough time to decide what something is or what to do about it.
  • Lane choice
  • A long list of trivial functions, such as turning on blinkers in time or reading "don't turn on red between 7-9 am" and compare against the clock.

• Funny
Been driving 11.4.4 for a while now. Very smooth.
Very smooth? Wow! I wish ours was very smooth on 11.4.4. Our car still can't even slow down smoothly for a stop sign. Yesterday I was driving in a retail area street with a stop sign every block. The car could not stop smoothly for a single stop sign. It would show the stop sign on the display but keep accelerating, then it would begin to brake, but not quickly enough, then to not pass the stop line it would slam on the brakes from about 12 MPH down to 0. This is how our car basically always behaves around stop signs.

Then at the intersection of 123rd St W & Quentin Ave S (44°46'39.4"N 93°20'39.8"W) it was about to run the stop sign as I approached on 123rd heading west. It wasn't even slowing down for the stop sign & I had to hit the brake pedal. That would have been extremely dangerous as there was high speed cross traffic that doesn't stop passing by at the time. I don't know why it didn't stop for the stop sign & also didn't react to yield to the other cars on Quentin Ave.

Got some extra miles on v11.4.4. I experienced a new strange S turn while making an UPL. That's to say while moving and turning left FSD made sharp left and right steering adjustments as if trying to shake someone off the hood. Gotta wonder what set of training data begets that result.

V1.4.4 still has awful path estimate for cross flow traffic - therefore excess braking for distant crossing traffic continues. It's a chronic FSD issue even though release notes report staggering improvement percentages. It feels like poor processing (differentiating noisy pixel data).

And lane changes are worse with 11.4.4 - it's as if path went rogue. It disregards 'chill' and 'minimal lane change' selection. For me that makes 11.4.4 virtually unusable in traffic unless the goal is to upset those driving nearby. Also adds more stress to this driver.

I had one successful aggressive UPL in moderately heavy traffic but it also made bizarre steering input during the turn so two steps forward and one back.

Here's where FSD has zero chance of success. FSD has too much latency when compared to an average alert human driver's reaction time. Unfortunately these scenarios aren't uncommon on busy highways. I had a similar case a couple of weeks back.

I should add it's probably safe to say no self driving system today is capable of solving this.

Last edited:
Here's where FSD has zero chance of success. FSD has too much latency when compared to an average alert human driver's reaction time. Unfortunately these scenarios aren't uncommon on busy highways. I had a similar case a couple of weeks back.

I should add it's probably safe to say no self driving system today is capable of solving this.

Yikes! I feel like I've gotten too cozy with the lane changes and this changes things. There has to be some bad bug because even the blind spot alert is triggered, the passing car turns red and FSD is still moving laterally into its path.

• Informative