Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: FSD Subscription Available 16 Jul 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I subscribed for a month, and I chose to cancel before it renewed.

I was excited to try it out, but what it has done is maze me realize how sufficient the standard autopilot features are. The fully automatic lane change is annoying (lane change without input), and the stop light operation needs work. NoAP is overrated. Smart summon and normal summon is neat, but I didn’t find a good daily use for it in my situation.

The only feature I’d pay for is input driven automatic lane change (via turn signal)…maybe $20/month.

If you find the additional FSD features useful for you, that’s great. It just didn’t ”wow” me enough to justify $200/mo, and I’m definitely not going to pay $10,000 now, or ever.

As soon as Toyota has an equivalent, sure-footed auto steer + radar cruise control system, I’m likely going to jump back on the Prius plug-in hybrid train (if they still offer it). I think a hybrid with 20-25 kWh battery with a gas tank for the long distances is the sweet spot for many. Daily full EV, and hybrid on the 60+ mile trips.
agree its not worth. you can set it though to not auto change lanes unless u hit the gear stalk to confirm. it wont even signal until confirmation under that setting, i think

Hello! Just making sure but if we get into an accident while in FSD beta, tesla would say it’s 100% on us right?

Only reason I ask is because tonight I had a scary call where the car braked and swerved very quickly. Ive been testing FSD at night on purpose to avoid traffic so everything was okay, but I’d there was a car behind or to my side I think it would’ve cause them to rear end me.

Hello! Just making sure but if we get into an accident while in FSD beta, tesla would say it’s 100% on us right?
Why would it not be 100% your fault? You are the driver. There’s literally nothing/no one else in charge. What/who else could be responsible other than the driver of another vehicle in the collision?

You have 100% control of steering, accelerator, and brakes, and the car cannot do anything for any appreciable period of time without your explicit consent.

Last edited:
Right. It has been Tesla's position that all its "beta" features mean you are using at your own risk. There have been numerous accidents that happened at low speed like a garage or parking lot as well as high speed but I've never heard of anyone able to get Tesla to compensate for damages.

There have been a few autopilot lawsuits but I haven't heard any ruling against Tesla either.

...Only reason I ask is because tonight I had a scary call...
That's what testing is about. It involves risks.

Last edited:
If I purchase the $199.99/mo FSD upgrade to try it, will I be able to easily unsubscribe if we don't like it? And is it actual FSD or just lane change, etc? We have a 21' SR+ if that helps. I don't know if it requires a computer upgrade too?
FAQ should answer all your questions.
Full Self-Driving Capability Subscriptions
On unsubscribing:
Are refunds available for FSD capability subscriptions?
Refunds are not available for FSD capability subscriptions. You can cancel your subscription at any time and you will continue to have access to your FSD capability features for the remainder of the current billing period.
On features, these are the available features:
Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability
When you say "actual FSD" I presume you mean the Autosteer on City Streets or the "FSD Beta" that is all that the rage on Youtube. With the subscription (or a purchase) you don't get that by default. However, for either you can sign up for "FSD Beta" by pressing the button and if you meet the criteria you may be able to access those features. Note they are releasing only to people with 100/100 Safety Score right now and will take a while to reach those with lower scores. Keep in mind all these features are still L2, meaning you must pay attention at all times and be ready to take over. Article that talks about how to get FSD Beta here:
Tesla 2021.32.22 software update brings the highly anticipated Request Full Self-Driving (FSD) Beta button

2021 should not require a computer upgrade. When you sign up it'll ask you for it if your car requires it.
If your vehicle has Full Self-Driving computer 3.0 or above, plus Basic Autopilot or Enhanced Autopilot, you are eligible to subscribe to FSD capability. Check your Autopilot configuration from your vehicle’s touchscreen by selecting ‘Controls’ > ‘Software’ > ‘Additional Vehicle Information.’

Only reason I ask is because tonight I had a scary call where the car braked and swerved very quickly. Ive been testing FSD at night on purpose to avoid traffic so everything was okay, but I’d there was a car behind or to my side I think it would’ve cause them to rear end me.
If you get into an accident on FSD Beta, get a product liability lawyer and discuss your options. Tesla is still liable for bugs, flawed execution, excessive uncontrollable actions, things like that. You are supposed to monitor the car 100%, but that does not mean you're always responsible if their product screws up. Make sure to save the footage and any other supporting evidence.

You should not be expected to watch any visualizations to determine what FSD Beta is doing - that is distracted driver behaviour, you're expected to be watching outside to safely drive. If FSD Beta does something that you cannot react to in time, IMO that's on Tesla. That is why the car should be giving proper predictable indication of what it's about to do. It should be giving verbal and audible information, not tiny text warnings, and definitely should not be changing its path and speed on a fractional-second basis. As discussed elsewhere FSD Beta on yoke is going to be difficult to shadow-steer & Tesla has given no training on how to operate their systems safely.

Swerving out of lane and driving recklessly is so dangerous that people are not going to be able to catch all of them. At some point this will be the next NHTSA investigation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jejunjm
Ok I just got MCU1->2 upgrade and HW3 computer installed and I see option to subscribe for FSD on App at 99/mo which is great!

So If I subscribe today WHEN will I actually be able to start using "FSD" Seems like I need to go to the whole safety score procedure? Or is that only for the "Beta" part of FSD?

What I am to gain as of Today from EAP I currently have (pretty happy with it)

So If I subscribe today WHEN will I actually be able to start using "FSD"
Uh, you won't.

Ok I just got MCU1->2 upgrade and HW3 computer installed and I see option to subscribe for FSD on App at 99/mo which is great!

So If I subscribe today WHEN will I actually be able to start using "FSD" Seems like I need to go to the whole safety score procedure? Or is that only for the "Beta" part of FSD?

What I am to gain as of Today from EAP I currently have (pretty happy with it)
Yeah you only get the traffic light/stop sign stuff. NoA on City Streets is still in beta-beta. You can request access, but then you enter the same queue the rest of the folk that wanted the beta-beta are in (plus the score requirement).

I wouldn't say it is worth it, to be honest.

So I paid 99 to subscribe BUT

1-My Autosteer is now Totally Crazy/Erratic ....drives me off the country roads (25pmh) ....was fine with EAP just before I subscribed to FSD.. Traffic and stop signs are great. Someone suggested I re-calibrate the cameras but why?

2-I'm on 2021.36 but do not see the famous button under the release notes.

3-how do I got back to my beloved EAP?

Last edited:
Someone suggested I re-calibrate the cameras but why?
It might help if you've had the windshield replaced, but I think that it's a recommendation that people make when nothing else helps. If the road edge visualization (red) is showing without either massive wiggling or fuzziness, it's probably not the camera calibration.

Reactions: fbitz777
So I paid 99 to subscribe BUT

1-My Autosteer is now Totally Crazy/Erratic ....drives me off the country roads (25pmh) ....was fine with EAP just before I subscribed to FSD.. Traffic and stop signs are great. Someone suggested I re-calibrate the cameras but why?

2-I'm on 2021.36 but do not see the famous button under the release notes.

3-how do I got back to my beloved EAP?
2021.36 didn't get the button for FSD Beta.

I’ve been having trouble trying to find the answer to this question. Is the TACC on autopilot the same as the TACC on FSD just without the FSD features? Or is the FSD TACC more updated? In other words Is it from the same stack or different?

I’ve been having trouble trying to find the answer to this question. Is the TACC on autopilot the same as the TACC on FSD just without the FSD features? Or is the FSD TACC more updated? In other words Is it from the same stack or different?
I think it's same. I have never felt any difference. I think newer FSD beta has vision and no radar so you get some phantom braking (lots of threads in this forum).

$99/mo on my Model S with HW3/Enhanced Autopilot.

Looks to be $199/mo for those with base Autopilot.

View attachment 685242
I purchased the advanced Autopilot so I could save the $100 per month but I still got charged the $199. Tesla support told be it was because the car was not originally purchased with Advanced Auto Pilot. Am I the only one who thinks this is crap?

• Disagree
Reactions: doubleshot
I purchased the advanced Autopilot so I could save the $100 per month but I still got charged the $199. Tesla support told be it was because the car was not originally purchased with Advanced Auto Pilot. Am I the only one who thinks this is crap?
Do you mean Enhanced Autopilot? When did you purchase it? AFAIK it was no longer available to purchase by the time FSD Subscription launched. It should make no difference if you purchase EAP from factory or afterwards though. Did you check that your car actually has EAP active? If it does you would get the NOA (Navigate on Autopilot) feature.

Reactions: boonedocks
Do you mean Enhanced Autopilot? When did you purchase it? AFAIK it was no longer available to purchase by the time FSD Subscription launched. It should make no difference if you purchase EAP from factory or afterwards though. Did you check that your car actually has EAP active? If it does you would get the NOA (Navigate on Autopilot) feature.
It did have EAP and I did have NOA. I spent $3000k to get it at the beginning of October.

• Disagree
Reactions: doubleshot
It did have EAP and I did have NOA. I spent $3000k to get it at the beginning of October.
October this year or last year? How did you get that option? It only showed up shortly and disappeared quickly (in the US) and it was in 2020 for $4000. AFAIK $3000 only upgrades a car without Autopilot to have Autopilot, it doesn't give EAP.
Tesla reintroduces 'Enhanced Autopilot' — offering cheaper alternative to 'Full Self-Driving'

You say "did," do you mean your car no longer has EAP? If that's the case obviously you don't get access to the $99/month price, as your car must currently have EAP. However, if it still has it right now, the terms don't say it must come from factory to get access to FSD. I would speak to a different rep about it.
Full Self-Driving Capability Subscriptions

On your screen under Software, it should say Enhanced Autopilot if you bought the option (and didn't cancel it somehow). If that doesn't show up, I would get Tesla to fix the configuration first.
SW-eap.jpg