Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: FSD Subscription Available 16 Jul 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fsd beta, subscription, radar question:
Phantom breaking hasn't been a big problem on autopilot for me. I am sorta interested in signing up for fsd subscription w beta testing, but it seems like people complain quite a bit (post radar removal) about phantom breaking
If my software gets updated and if I get into fsd beta, and then let my subscription lapse will I be stuck in vision only autopilot? Is radar still used on some car's fsd?

HELP needed: not seeing any FSD queue status, NO button, NO Safety Score in app. Not sure if this is the best forum to post this in:

Model Y LR, took delivery 11 days ago, FSD paid in full for the $10k. Have driven the car 185 miles and driven on 5 days. I cannot remember if I requested FSD beta when setting up the car options but if it was on the menu under Autopilot, I would have said yes.

Now when I go to the car controls, Autopilot menu, I don't see any FSD beta queue status even though pictures online show that. No "request FSD beta" button either.

In my iOS Tesla app, there is no safety score, I've logged out and in, and deleted the app and data and reinstalled. Vehicle and app both indicate on latest software. I emailed the Tesla rep. who gave me his email address when I picked up the car but of course, he hasn't answered. Any ideas? (Oh, and the car came without USB ports in center armrest and the wireless pad and rear USB ports won't charge. I have it booked in for service but the first service was 3 weeks away.)

There's typically a "delivery" firmware not in the normal stream- typically with a 103 as the third set of numbers (like 2021.35.103 for example)...if you're on that you'll need to wait till you get a "regular" update.

The lack of USB ports is a known issue due to chip shortage- the wireless pad is also powered by em- make a service appointment and Tesla will install them soon as parts and service are available.

Does anyone know if the car not having a wifi network makes a difference? Should I leave a phone hotspot on? Is there a way to force a check update? I have selected to get releases as fast as they come out. Any other ideas?

Does anyone know if the car not having a wifi network makes a difference? Should I leave a phone hotspot on? Is there a way to force a check update? I have selected to get releases as fast as they come out. Any other ideas?
You just need to be patient with the firmware, unfortunately. I took delivery of my Model Y on November 4th and I'm still on break-in firmware 2021. 35.102. A good friend of mine took delivery of his M3P on Oct 23 and he's still on the same version.

In GENERAL the car wants wifi, not cellular, for firmware updates.

FSDBeta folks (those already in) seem to get offered updates over LTE though... and I know they'll push any safety related update that way.

Thank you, this is very helpful. Two follow-ups?

1. Have you (or anyone reading this) had experience connecting the Tesla to a mobile phone's wifi hotspot and whether this will result in a faster time-to-update, especially this first post-delivery firmware update?

The car is in a condo parking garage and so wifi is out of the question no available wifi, but I have an infrequently used extra Android phone with plenty of data available and adequate signal in the condo parking garage.

2. If I take to a service center can they force update?

1. Have you (or anyone reading this) had experience connecting the Tesla to a mobile phone's wifi hotspot and whether this will result in a faster time-to-update, especially this first post-delivery firmware update?
Your car, and the app, will let you know when an update is available for your car. At that point you can use a WiFi hotspot to download it.

2. If I take to a service center can they force update?
No.

Thanks for the quick response @diamond.g. I've got a Model S coming, and was hoping this wasn't the case, but I'll give it a try. I wish they would move to a touch sensitive steering wheel that doesn't require the intermittent torque, like what Mercedes and BMW have, as it feels less intrusive on long trips. Hopefully the driver facing camera may one day eliminate the need, as I assume it can tell if hands are on the wheel.

Thanks for the quick response @diamond.g. I've got a Model S coming, and was hoping this wasn't the case, but I'll give it a try. I wish they would move to a touch sensitive steering wheel that doesn't require the intermittent torque, like what Mercedes and BMW have, as it feels less intrusive on long trips. Hopefully the driver facing camera may one day eliminate the need, as I assume it can tell if hands are on the wheel.
What I do on long trips is to rest one hand on the steering wheel and the weight of the hand is enough to keep the torque detection happy.

For me, the worst situation is when it is a complex driving situation and I put my both hands on the wheel and keep all my attention on the surrounding to be ready to intervene and as result not keeping the torque applied so the car decides to yell at me for not paying attention 8-E

I think you pay per month don't think it pro rates. But yes should be easy enough to remove if not needing for a few months. I think that was the point of the monthly subscription.
Does anyone know if I cancel my FSD subscription and then resubscribe later if I will still be in the beta? I know it’s early but has anyone done this?? I have already had it for a while and am ready to give it back but… you know… FOMO!

Reactions: Jejunjm
Does anyone know if I cancel my FSD subscription and then resubscribe later if I will still be in the beta? I know it’s early but has anyone done this?? I have already had it for a while and am ready to give it back but… you know… FOMO!
Exactly my question, especially as I spent 21 days playing the safety score game. 3 Mile drive and I already know fsd beta won't make my 30 mile work commute less stressful

Exactly my question, especially as I spent 21 days playing the safety score game. 3 Mile drive and I already know fsd beta won't make my 30 mile work commute less stressful
Anyone who thinks Beta as is right now will make your life easier is misinformed. It is in beta which means you have to pay even more attention bc you have to watch out for other drivers and what might your car do. You do start to learn where it will likely have issues and are more prepared in those areas/times though.

I bought a FSD subscription just to try it out. I think it is garbage. Autopark is so bad that it is embarrassing for Tesla to have released it. The “navigate on autopilot” feature has no value. It is more relaxing for me to identify the lane changes; the computer does a poor job. (I haven’t gotten the beta testing software and don’t care if I do because I am certain it will be useless.)

I do love basic autopilot for freeway driving, especially in stop and go traffic. It’s not perfect, but it is a huge plus.

• Informative
Reactions: GargantulaKon