Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Jack Points — location, use, damage, pads, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update 2: The battery was supposed to be ordered on 8/20. on 9/1 I asked for an ETA and they said they didn't know. I asked again last week and again they didn't know if it had shipped, where it was at, when the work would be completed, etc.. I asked the service managers and their regional service manager and they said they would get back to me and didn't so I had to follow up with them to elicit a response yet again, where they told me they still didn't know anything... The car has been at service since 8/7... No telling if they even ordered the battery on 8/20 when they said they would (obviously should have ordered it prior to my 8/7 scheduled service visit...), they won't tell me. This service group is pretty terrible here...

I have a follow-up question. I only have some minor damage but still under warranty. Is there any way you can repair this in a SeC or is it always a swapping of a battery?

I have never heard of a case of repair. Only replacement on a few other members I have talked to about this.

Your damage I saw in another thread. That is pretty minor, but yea, I figure they didn't give you the 'damaged jack points discount' when you ordered the car... I would ask for goodwill if I was you and apply that to a set of tires or two or something... You probably could get by with just spraying the bare metal with paint/primer so it doesn't rust.

Last edited:
Update: Thankfully another member told me his car had damaged jack points as well and since they are integrated into the battery pack, his pack was replaced. He offered his vin and specifics. I again asked Tesla to repair the damage, they declined. Then I replied and included that owner's information and now the battery is begrudgingly on order. I told them he was given unsolicited FSD for the trouble and they told me to pack sand. :rolleyes:

Think about that for a second. You are getting them to replace the entire battery pack over a jack point. I would just suck it up and move on. No way in hell would I let a service center replace a pack on a brand new vehicle due to a jack point. They will probably cause more damage replacing the back than a jack point located under the vehicle.

I am sure it will show up on the service history. I know if I had 2 vehicles side by side with 10,000 kms and one had it's pack replaced and the other didn't I sure as heck wouldn't consider a pack replaced vehicle over a non touched virgin.

• Disagree
Reactions: untilcomplete
Think about that for a second. You are getting them to replace the entire battery pack over a jack point. I would just suck it up and move on. No way in hell would I let a service center replace a pack on a brand new vehicle due to a jack point. They will probably cause more damage replacing the back than a jack point located under the vehicle.

I am sure it will show up on the service history. I know if I had 2 vehicles side by side with 10,000 kms and one had it's pack replaced and the other didn't I sure as heck wouldn't consider a pack replaced vehicle over a non touched virgin.

I can see your point... If they cause any damage while replacing the pack, you can be sure I'll have them fix it... I'd prefer a replacement vehicle... Unfortunately they won't offer one. I probably would have settled for goodwill and moved on if the tears in the jack points don't pose a problem with servicing the vehicle over the life of the vehicle, but they didn't want to offer goodwill and I am not going to pay full price for a vehicle with 4 torn jack points...

I can see your point... If they cause any damage while replacing the pack, you can be sure I'll have them fix it... I'd prefer a replacement vehicle... Unfortunately they won't offer one. I probably would have settled for goodwill and moved on if the tears in the jack points don't pose a problem with servicing the vehicle over the life of the vehicle, but they didn't want to offer goodwill and I am not going to pay full price for a vehicle with 4 torn jack points...

Pick your poison. I know my jack points have been destroyed by shops over the last 2 years. It happens after years of changing tires ect. If it's a rare classic vehicle I could see your point but a tough call. Im just saying for resale value, a vehicle with new pack on the history will be much less appealing than damaged jack points. JM2C and good luck with your vehicle

Reactions: super20g
Happened to me once after I closed/slammed the trunk a bit harder than usual (was in a rush). Thought maybe that caused it. Oddly it seemed to become less severe throughout the day and after overnight it resolved. I have a Service Appt for another issue so will see what they say if anything and report back.

Pick your poison.
Poison was right...

They have had the car for 7 weeks today. (The battery never shipped for weeks while my car was sitting at service so I had to spam every tesla contact and distribution list over and over for a few days and then magically it shipped)

They sent a text last night saying the battery swap was completed, passed all the testing, and the car was now ready for pickup. It took them Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday for some reason. I watched it supercharge for the first time and it finished charging under the rated charge capacity. I sent a text asking why that happened. They put it in service mode and drove it back from the parking lot to the supercharger and again it charged less that the rated capacity. I didn't get a reply from them. This morning they charged it again and again it charged to less that the rated charge capacity... Still haven't heard back.

In other news, a customer ordered a model 3 and received a primed FENDER in the mail a few days later! That gave me a good chuckle. Now I am back to being sad though.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Poison was right...

They have had the car for 7 weeks today. (The battery never shipped for weeks while my car was sitting at service so I had to spam every tesla contact and distribution list over and over for a few days and then magically it shipped)

They sent a text last night saying the battery swap was completed, passed all the testing, and the car was now ready for pickup. It took them Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday for some reason. I watched it supercharge for the first time and it finished charging under the rated charge capacity. I sent a text asking why that happened. They put it in service mode and drove it back from the parking lot to the supercharger and again it charged less that the rated capacity. I didn't get a reply from them. This morning they charged it again and again it charged to less that the rated charge capacity... Still haven't heard back.

In other news, a customer ordered a model 3 and received a primed FENDER in the mail a few days later! That gave me a good chuckle. Now I am back to being sad though.
I'm sure the battery is a refurbished unit. There are a bunch of threads where people have hit stuff and broken off coolant lines and had battery replacements. I bet those batteries get refurbished and sent out as replacements.
How many miles did it indicate on a full charge?

Reactions: MP3Mike and 0ptions
How many miles did it indicate on a full charge?

211. It's a SR that had a few hundred miles on it when it was serviced for defects and right at 1K on it when the pack was replaced. No one said it was a refurb... Ugh. Here we go again and I didn't even get it back.

Edit: I saw on the app they ran it down and charged it a few more times. 211,212.

Last edited:
211. It's a SR that had a few hundred miles on it when it was serviced for defects and right at 1K on it when the pack was replaced. No one said it was a refurb... Ugh. Here we go again and I didn't even get it back.

Edit: I saw on the app they ran it down and charged it a few more times. 211,212.
Obvious thing to do is to upgrade you to SR+ for free but Tesla is not always the most rational company...

So, here is what they are telling me now...

The battery installed was in fact a new part rather than refurbished. Being that the battery is new and has not seen drive/charge cycles, the battery monitoring system is not able to display the most accurate estimated range. Keep in mind that the displayed range is an estimation and will constantly change based on the conditions the vehicle is being driven in as well as how the vehicle is being charged. We recommend charging the battery up to 80% and discharging the battery down to 20% as much as it is convenient to you. Over time this should allow the estimated range to become more accurate.

Both of my Model 3's were provided to me at the full rated charge capacity when I picked them up at delivery with a couple miles on the odometer.

Is being a brand new battery likely the reason it doesn't display the range as 220 when fully charged?

Who are the battery guru's on the board?

Last edited:
So, here is what they are telling me now...

Both of my Model 3's were provided to me at the full rated charge capacity when I picked them up at delivery with a couple miles on the odometer.

Is being a brand new battery likely the reason it doesn't charge the full amount or are they just blowing more smoke up my ass?

This is true. It is like counting on a gas car telling you distance until empty. I've run those down to 0 miles but obviously the car still ran. My full charge with SR+ is 228 have had it fluctuate to 235. I'd say keep the car, be happy you got a brand new battery pack and move on.

This is true. It is like counting on a gas car telling you distance until empty. I've run those down to 0 miles but obviously the car still ran. My full charge with SR+ is 228 have had it fluctuate to 235. I'd say keep the car, be happy you got a brand new battery pack and move on.
So your car has never displayed the full capacity of 240mi of charge since new? That is new to me since both of mine always did, at least when new.

I have only fully charged to 100% twice. Not great for the pack longevity. Once at about 900 miles and again at 1500 miles. Car was basically new with those low miles. Did it because a friend of mine had the same concern as you. His SR+ was at 228 fully charged but he has going on 9000 miles now and travels a lot of long distance trips so he does charge to 100% to start those trips. He has since told me he is up to 235 but it does fluctuate.

I have only fully charged to 100% twice. Not great for the pack longevity. Once at about 900 miles and again at 1500 miles. Car was basically new with those low miles. Did it because a friend of mine had the same concern as you. His SR+ was at 228 fully charged but he has going on 9000 miles now and travels a lot of long distance trips so he does charge to 100% to start those trips. He has since told me he is up to 235 but it does fluctuate.

The SR is reportedly top locked so I always charge to 100% and always charged to right around if not 220 previously. Oh well, I will ask them to generate and provide a battery health report and go off of that...

Update: Thankfully another member told me his car had damaged jack points as well and since they are integrated into the battery pack, his pack was replaced. He offered his vin and specifics. I again asked Tesla to repair the damage, they declined. Then I replied and included that owner's information and now the battery is begrudgingly on order. I told them he was given unsolicited FSD for the trouble and they told me to pack sand. :rolleyes:
Really thinking here that Tesla or any other company isn’t relishing any bad press it would get from messing over customers. The existence of forums like this are part of that reasoning, where we can all air our gripes among ourselves and the aggregated idea’s on what to do next. Hope they make you car whole, good luck.

Reactions: super20g
Really thinking here that Tesla or any other company isn’t relishing any bad press it would get from messing over customers. The existence of forums like this are part of that reasoning, where we can all air our gripes among ourselves and the aggregated idea’s on what to do next. Hope they make you car whole, good luck.
I am just going to ask for a battery health report and go from there I guess... I still don't understand why if you have a 220mi range brand new battery why it doesn't say 220mi of range when fully charged when the old battery would... Being told if I do this 80/20 charge song and dance maybe it will improve just sounds like a way to get me to pick up the car and move on... I guess I will go off of the battery report if they will provide one, and if I never get it to charge to 220 after some time, I'll see what can be done about that.

I took delivery recently and had service fix some fit and finish issues. When I got it back, I saw the jack points are damaged. Not sure if this happened at service or at Tesla's outsourced body shop or if it was already like that at delivery.

Is this fixable damage? Looks integrated into the body? I am outside of the return period now. I sent the images to the service manager and he responded asking for pictures further away and then hasn't responded back yet.

View attachment 434627
View attachment 434626
View attachment 434625
View attachment 434624

Ask for replacement car

No way will they provide a replacement vehicle. They already replaced the battery causing large depreciation value on the vehicle not to mention possibly installing a refurbished battery. This vehicle should of been returned within the first 2 weeks. This cars went from having minor damaged jack points that all Teslas encounters over their life time to having a replaced battery that came from who knows where. Major red flag trying to sell this vehicle now with the service history behind it.

Let this be a lesson to all the individuals on this forum who told this innocent citizen to request a new battery. Facepalm

Hope it all works out for you in the end.

Last edited:
Ask for replacement car
They won't.

This vehicle should of been returned within the first 2 weeks. This cars went from having minor damaged jack points that all Teslas encounters over their life time to having a replaced battery that came from who knows where. Major red flag trying to sell this vehicle now with the service history behind it.

Let this be a lesson to all the individuals on this forum who told this innocent citizen to request a new battery. Facepalm

Hope it all works out for you in the end.

I asked for and would have preferred goodwill to offset the 4 torn jack points, but that was unacceptable to service... They would rather ship the pack via freight and go through the trouble of swapping it instead, keeping the car on their lot for 7 weeks providing a dirty loaner with expired tags... Odd group. Given that I saw this particular damage outside of the return period, there was not much else I could do other than ask to have it fixed. Scratches I could have dealt with, torn metal on a new car at full price... not so much.

Well, this really went sideways. Surprised?

I asked service for a copy of the battery's health report since they said it was fine even though it would not charge to the full rated range like the original battery did. As per their usual follow up protocol, I received no response.

I sent the managers an email a few days later asking them directly. They sent it to their legal group and Tesla's managing council replied telling me they already told me the battery was fine and if I didn't like it then I could file a case against them. That if I didn't pick the car up they would start charging storage and loaner fees. I wonder what was so big of a deal about asking to see the battery health report?

I decided I would just pick up the car, try to get it to charge fully at home, and if it never would then I would file the case.

When I picked up the car, I found the car dirty inside and out with bird crap and sap all over it, damage from replacing the battery, and with falsified paperwork saying that the car had been there 4 days instead of 7 weeks and that I was believe to have caused the damage to the jack points myself!

Here are the pictures of my service pick up.

These guys take the cake for class acts.