Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s impossible to say if it’s statistically meaningful.

well a bit odd how you have an update and the next day you lose 5km. thats clearly not degradation.

Is there anything unusual about the behaviour of our Model 3s?

I.e. I do little driving in the city but lots of road trips with frequent deep discharges and around 50:50 DC to AC charging ratio. pretty much all of the DC charging gets down on 40kw dc chargers...

well a bit odd how you have an update and the next day you lose 5km. thats clearly not degradation.

Is there anything unusual about the behaviour of our Model 3s?

I.e. I do little driving in the city but lots of road trips with frequent deep discharges and around 50:50 DC to AC charging ratio. pretty much all of the DC charging gets down on 40kw dc chargers...
One, when you ask about "last update", without saying which update, some people may not be talking about the same update. I usually get updates about 2weeks after others, and since there's been alot of updates recently, you can't assume everyone is talking the same update, without people saying which one they're on.

Two, people have to say how they determined the estimate drop? We know TeslaFi and Stats and other 3rd-party apps use the temperature-affected SOC. So, colder temps, lead to lower range estimates. Even if it's your Summer, in Oz, a cool night, can cause a slight estimate drop.

Three, any BMS estimate change triggered by an update, like you said, "clearly not degradation", is more likely due to some kind of re-estimate, not real degradation.

So, it doesn't seem all that statistically meaningful when someone shows about a 1% estimate change after a couple charges, in the middle of January using TeslaFi.

One, when you ask about "last update", without saying which update, some people may not be talking about the same update. I usually get updates about 2weeks after others, and since there's been alot of updates recently, you can't assume everyone is talking the same update, without people saying which one they're on.

Two, people have to say how they determined the estimate drop? We know TeslaFi and Stats and other 3rd-party apps use the temperature-affected SOC. So, colder temps, lead to lower range estimates. Even if it's your Summer, in Oz, a cool night, can cause a slight estimate drop.

Three, any BMS estimate change triggered by an update, like you said, "clearly not degradation", is more likely due to some kind of re-estimate, not real degradation.

So, it doesn't seem all that statistically meaningful when someone shows about a 1% estimate change after a couple charges, in the middle of January using TeslaFi.

I live in tropical australia. It is summer here and 25c at night. I have real degradation. 9%. Car has done 30k km

After 2020.48.35.5 installed on my car (2018 model 3 LR) I started noticing peculiar things happening with the battery and wanted to know if others are exhibiting the same thing

I have changed no settings from the prior update to the new one. I did a hard reboot after the update installed.

1. when I park the car and sentry mode is active previously I would lose about 1 mile per hour (as expected). After the update I’m losing close to 3 to 4 miles per hour
2. When I do a 30 mile drive with the heat on and temperate outside close to 25F the the car only registers a loss of 15 miles.

this has been repeated a few times now for me to think this is not an anomaly.

my charging regimen is not to plug car in until it gets close to 20% to 30% and charge up to 80%. These events occur regardless of SoC.

Is this something to do with the BMS?

Any ideas?

I have 2018 Tesla long range rwd. After 2.5 years, closer to 3 years now and 24k miles driven, I only get 295 mi after charging to 100%. That’s almost 8%-10% battery degradation base on my calculation. Is that normal?

I tried contact Tesla and schedule an appointment and they basically just cancelled my appointment and told me that’s normal.

I would like to think I have pretty good charging habit. Rarely super charge, charge up to 85% daily, and charge up to 100% maybe once every 6 months. I live in Ca, so not really affected by cold weather.

I am not sure my battery degrades so far. Anyone have similar issues? And know how to talk to Tesla that would get a better response?

I have about the same experience as you. 2018 LR RWD with 25K miles and estimated 295 miles at 100%. Northern California so cold isn’t an issue and I rarely supercharge and charge to 80% mostly at home. From reading the forums I’m pretty convinced that my degradation is an estimation error that has been exacerbated by how little I drive now due to Covid. Following the advice of others here I’ve started letting the battery drop down below 30% before charging with the hope that over time it regains some of its estimated range.

See this thread
How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity

At this point, even if the degradation is real it has no effect on how I use the car.

Mine seems to be around 8% lost in one year too. The general concensus is that the first year will lose 5-7% and then it goes slowly from there. Some people have posted statistics over thousands of cars... you have nothing to worry about. The only problem I see is that Tesla are not communicating that before you buy. You buy a 513km range (in my case) but that number isn't true for long. Now, you should also not put too much faith in the displayed number, it's just an estimate of your battery capacity.

I have 2018 Tesla long range rwd. After 2.5 years, closer to 3 years now and 24k miles driven, I only get 295 mi after charging to 100%. That’s almost 8%-10% battery degradation base on my calculation. Is that normal?

This calculates to 295rmi*245Wh/rmi/77.8kWh = 92.9% (so 7.1% capacity loss).

I would like to think I have pretty good charging habit. Rarely super charge, charge up to 85% daily, and charge up to 100% maybe once every 6 months. I live in Ca, so not really affected by cold weather.

I have a November 2018 Model 3 Performance, 22k miles. Similar charging habits. For the last year my typical daily charge has been 80%; before that I used between 80% and 90% depending on needs. Have taken about 5 or 6 road trips, so have about 30 Supercharges on the battery.

Seems pretty normal. I was at close to 288-290 rated miles until a couple months ago, but recently have readjusted to 277 rated miles at 100% (extrapolated from 80%, though a very recent full charge took it to 283 rated miles, so let's call it 280 rated miles). It's possible it will recover when it warms up slightly, but I'm certainly not counting on it.

So that's 11.8% capacity loss (~68.6kWh/77.8kWh) in a couple years. Very normal. Some people see much less, some people see a bit more.

Just part of the process of having an aging EV. Drive as fast as you can between Superchargers! Impact of the range loss will in most cases be inconsequential (obviously there are exceptions, but generally not in California).

Last edited:
This calculates to 295rmi*245Wh/rmi/77.8kWh = 92.9% (so 7.1% capacity loss).

I have a November 2018 Model 3 Performance, 22k miles. Similar charging habits. For the last year my typical daily charge has been 80%; before that I used between 80% and 90% depending on needs. Have taken about 5 or 6 road trips, so have about 30 Supercharges on the battery.

Seems pretty normal. I was at close to 288-290 rated miles until a couple months ago, but recently have readjusted to 277 rated miles at 100% (extrapolated from 80%, though a very recent full charge took it to 283 rated miles, so let's call it 280 rated miles). It's possible it will recover when it warms up slightly, but I'm certainly not counting on it.

So that's 11.8% capacity loss (~68.6kWh/77.8kWh) in a couple years. Very normal. Some people see much less, some people see a bit more.

Just part of the process of having an aging EV. Drive as fast as you can between Superchargers! Impact of the range loss will in most cases be inconsequential (obviously there are exceptions, but generally not in California).

not everyone here has access to superchargers every few kilometers and relies on covering i.e. 400km between chargers.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
With covid and the cold weather my estimate for a LR RWD is only 408km (253 miles) from the 523km it was increased to in one of the updates. I think as others have pointed out it must be an estimation error.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210129-205056_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20210129-205056_Tesla.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 78