Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PROBLEM: Southern California resident is unable to reach the Tesla Insurance website. Email exchanges:

January 3, 2020

Hi Michael,

I am reaching out to you about the issue you have been getting with receiving your quote. I would like to go over this with you and see how I can assist you with getting this resolved. At what point are you receiving this error? Have you been able to reach the coverages page?

Best,

Joseph Cottone

January 3, 2020:

See attached screenshot. I have been able to reach the insurance page only once. Every other attempt, I get that "Whoops" page. My guess is this malfunction is somehow linked to my account, because....

1. At home in Lancaster, I cannot reach the Quote page on my HP desktop, Lenovo laptop, iPhone or iPad.

2. It doesn't matter which browser I use. Same result.

3. Clearing cookies has no effect at all.

4. Attempting to reach the Quote page here or in Santa Clarita or Northridge or Burbank or Los Angeles, same result.

5. Same result using whatever wifi, direct connect to my router or AT&T mobility.

6. Same result using VPN for the SF Bay Area to change my IP from the LA area.

The only thing all this stuff has in common is my account. IP numbers change, browsers change, devices change. Always the same result.

This has been going on for a few months, since my first and only successful attempt. It's rather frustrating. I can reach the Tesla pages, no problem, but not insurance pages. Good luck fixing it.

Michael

January 3, 2020:

Thank you for letting me know,

Those are some of the troubleshooting options that we have been trying. Some have worked but like yourself there are some customers that have been having the same issue.

The primary issue that we have had is syncing to customers Tesla.com account. Since we are a separate company it has been more of an issue than was originally expected. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Some other things that we are trying for the troubleshoot is making sure the following are corrected if need be.

1. Name Address and DL# match exactly as shown on your Drivers License and you are living in California.
  2. Date of birth is correct in the Tesla.com account
  3. VIN# on vehicle match with your Account

From what it sounds like you have exhausted every option. If this is so, I personally am working on these issues to get them resolved. Thank you Michael for sending me the screenshot it helps me get these issues escalated to be a more urgent status to get this resolved for everyone that has had this issue.

The VPN shouldn’t make a difference either way, the problem is that LexusNexus which does the Motor Vehicle reports and things of that nature is not linking with the Tesla.com accounts. Most commonly this is because Tesla customers didn’t match their information correctly or update addresses. How ever since we are a brand new insurance company there are hiccups with any start up insurance company.

The DMV issue has been resolved that is no longer an issue.\

Best,

Joseph Cottone

January 9, 2020:

Joseph,

Can someone please provide the insurance quote I asked for?

Thank you.

Michael

January 9, 2020:

Right now I am the point of contact for all Cannot quote issues and right now we are not entirely sure what the issue is. Either it’s a matter of address, name, the way the apartment was entered. [It's a house, not an apartment].

Over the past couple days we have had more people able to get quotes. The best thing I can suggest is trying again.

At this time we are not able to build quotes as agents. That will be changed soon.

I would try putting your address as:

[XXXXXXXXXXX] Street
Lancaster, CA 93534

Rather than:

[XXXXXXXXXXX] St.
Lancaster, CA 93534

Best,

Joseph Cottone

January 9, 2020:

OK Joseph,

I changed "St." to "Street" then immediately tried to access the insurance page. Still cannot access. I'll try again later.

Can I get a quote by calling??

Michael

January 9, 2020:

Okay Michael,

These are just the issues that we have been dealing with and finding that some small things solve the problem. I am working to sort the issue, the problem is figuring out where the problem is coming from.

No, unfortunately. Like I mentioned right now we do not have a system in house yet to build quotes personally. That is something that I personally am assisting with building right now. A new system for our customers, quoting and the Agents here.

The best thing I can suggest is probably wait until the new system is released. I know you mentioned that everything matched exactly as your DL and the VIN on your Tesla. I have you name down to keep in contact with as soon as I find the solution to this issue.

Best,

Joseph Cottone

January 9, 2020:

Excellent, Joseph.

Until then, I'll keep on overpaying Geico. LOL

Have a good weekend.

Michael.

And that's it...so far.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
A big surprise when I got the quote from Costco. The highest policy premium is only $4xx/6 months. Tesla quoted me twice that number. How could they beat Costco insurance this day?
I called Ameriprise Costco insurance and they quoted me the same as Farmers $1560/6 months.

Tesla Insurance ended up costing me $188/mo or $1139 /6 mo for my Model 3 Performance. I'm 47, clean record, no tickets or accidents, 31 years driving experience, but this is for full coverage in Los Angeles Liability & Uninsured Motorist @ 250K/500K Collision Deductible $1K, Comprehensive $750.

I'm not sure how everyone else is getting these lower rates on a Performance Model, other than the rate much be based upon where you live, but I thought insurance wasn't supposed to discriminate like that anymore???

• Informative
Reactions: CHRGED3
I called Ameriprise Costco insurance and they quoted me the same as Farmers $1560/6 months.

Tesla Insurance ended up costing me $188/mo or $1139 /6 mo for my Model 3 Performance. I'm 47, clean record, no tickets or accidents, 31 years driving experience, but this is for full coverage in Los Angeles Liability & Uninsured Motorist @ 250K/500K Collision Deductible $1K, Comprehensive $750.

I'm not sure how everyone else is getting these lower rates on a Performance Model, other than the rate much be based upon where you live, but I thought insurance wasn't supposed to discriminate like that anymore???

There must be something in your record causing your higher rate. I am 49 with 33 years of driving and Tesla Insurance quoted $120 a month for 27000 miles a year, 250k/500k, $500 deductible. But I have a Model 3 AWD. Maybe you are just paying the 3P premium.

In California, auto insurance still varies by zip code.

Does anyone know what happens if you have two Teslas in the family, and you need coverage for both you and your spouse? I only have 1 Tesla account, and the insurance page only provides quotes based on the person on the account. I read about the part that you can call them afterwards to add the other person, but the other person gets significantly reduced coverage. That's not how other insurance policies work. Typically you can put everyone in the family on the policy, and everyone will have the same coverage.

I read about the part that you can call them afterwards to add the other person, but the other person gets significantly reduced coverage.

If you call and add your spouse your rates should go up (amount varies) and they should have the same coverage you do.
My policy changed once I added my wife, she is now listed under the 'Driver Information' section
I believe your spouse automatically has reduced coverage if not explicitly added. (I am no lawyer so take what I say with a grain of salt).

I just spoke to Tesla insurance. They said if I don't add my wife to the policy, they may not honor a claim if she drives the car and gets into an accident. However, they can't tell me how the rate would be impacted when a second person is added to the policy. In other words, there's no way to get a quote in advance that covers 2 people.

In other words, there's no way to get a quote in advance that covers 2 people.

That doesn't sound right. I would call back and deal with somebody else who knows what they are doing.

When I had them add my wife, the quote came back higher than expected, so I told them I wanted to think about it. They did not complete the policy update at that time and then a few days later I called back and added her 'for real'.

I've noticed something that is of great concern with Tesla's insurance. The Uninsured Motorist Property Damage is fixed at $3,500. This covers expenses for damage to your car caused by an at-fault driver who doesn't have insurance or by a hit-and-run or miss-and-run. How is our Tesla supposed to be repaired with only $3,500?

I have the same concern about the $3.500 fixed. I am very tempted to switch but don't want to just get $3500 if I get into some uninsured or hit and run situation. Is my understanding correct? With my current Geico albeit more expensive, if I sustain damage on a hit and run or uninsured, I'm out with my collision deductible.

I have the same concern about the $3.500 fixed. I am very tempted to switch but don't want to just get $3500 if I get into some uninsured or hit and run situation. Is my understanding correct? With my current Geico albeit more expensive, if I sustain damage on a hit and run or uninsured, I'm out with my collision deductible.
I just called TJ at Tesla Insurance. They really need to rephrase the coverage summary. Here's how it works. If the uninsured damage to your car by some hit-and-run idiot is minor and doesn't exceed $3,500, Tesla Insurance will pay up to $3,500 to fix it. If the damage is more serious, they will pay $3,500, then you pay your deductible, and Tesla pays the rest, up to the limit of your property coverage.

Last edited:
I have the same concern about the $3.500 fixed. I am very tempted to switch but don't want to just get $3500 if I get into some uninsured or hit and run situation. Is my understanding correct?
As long as you have Collsion coverage this is no cause for concern. Damage caused by an uninsured driver is covered by Collision. The UMPD just saves you the Collision deductible (up to $3500) in this case. Depending on your deductible, it may or may not be worth it.

I have a question. It’s nice to see “oh Tesla quoted me 40 bucks cheaper than Geico” and all, but has anyone actually had a (G-d forbid) serious claim? If Tesla insurance service is the same as their SC service here in CA, I’d gladly pay extra $40 for Geico. Even extra $400. So, has anyone actually had a claim?

I have a question. It’s nice to see “oh Tesla quoted me 40 bucks cheaper than Geico” and all, but has anyone actually had a (G-d forbid) serious claim? If Tesla insurance service is the same as their SC service here in CA, I’d gladly pay extra $40 for Geico. Even extra $400. So, has anyone actually had a claim?
Tesla Insurance is provided by National. Customer service is Tesla. No, I’ve never made a claim. I don’t know if they’d be helpful, but their financials for paying claims is fine. It’s California, and the Insurance Commission doesn’t screw around with insurance companies that don’t really insure.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Tesla Insurance is provided by National. Customer service is Tesla. No, I’ve never made a claim. I don’t know if they’d be helpful, but their financials for paying claims is fine. It’s California, and the Insurance Commission doesn’t screw around with insurance companies that don’t really insure.

So they are not the underwriter, that’s good. But I still want to know what the servicer’s track record is and at least learn some real world customer experience. I do med legal work and I see first hand what some companies put customers through when they have a SERIOUS claim. I am not talking about a fender bender or broken glass. I am talking about serious personal injury or worse. Pick your insurers carefully.

Just because a company has the money to pay claims doesn't mean that they will do so willingly. A lot of the cheaper insurers are notorious for hanging their insureds out to dry when claims get into six figure territory. Even for mid-size claims (e.g. $10k-50k) companies like Geico are notorious for lowballing you and refusing to pay for certain things such as personal injury damages even if your policy covers it. Even if they end up paying out in the end (which they will) it's a huge hassle to get there and can often involve legal action (or the threat of it).

Personally I wouldn't touch any insurance company without a solid reputation behind them. You don't want to have to deal with fighting your insurance company after being in a huge accident.

• Helpful
Reactions: Pkmmte