Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To add another data point for Tesla insurance cost. Los Angeles zip code, Tesla insurance was 2nd cheapest of the ones I got quotes from, cheapest was Wawanesa. No claims, perfect driving record, been driving 12 years. Next cheapest was Progressive, Geico, State Farm. AAA was a ridiculous 2.7x more expensive than Wawanesa at like $6000 a year.

I’m about to switch to TESLA insurance.. where I life on the peninsula my Nationwide cost is about 110$ a month.. Tesla will actually INCREASE my coverage and is quoting me $65 a month.. for six month. Maybe this is a teaser but I’ll try it for the next six months. I’m almost afraid to say, no accidents, no tickets, no nothing but still that is a great deal

WOW, so I was actually JUST going to back today to cancel my policy with Nationwide and go for the ridiculously cheap policy that Tesla was offering me, about $65 a month and now, today when I check it is 2X that price!.... have they just decided to jack it up overnight?

Got ticketed for using my phone (while making a left turn; CVC 23123.5a). The court offers traffic school, but they claim that my ticket will be sent to the insurance company regardless. The court rep told me that some insurance companies look favorably on your taking traffic school.

I called Tesla insurance and spoke with a rep who waffled her answer but finally told me - Taking traffic school will prevent the ticket from being sent to Tesla insurance. If Tesla insurance finds out about any of my tickets, they will raise my insurance premium.

Is this correct - that Tesla insurance holders should always take traffic school?

Got ticketed for using my phone (while making a left turn; CVC 23123.5a). The court offers traffic school, but they claim that my ticket will be sent to the insurance company regardless. The court rep told me that some insurance companies look favorably on your taking traffic school.

I called Tesla insurance and spoke with a rep who waffled her answer but finally told me - Taking traffic school will prevent the ticket from being sent to Tesla insurance. If Tesla insurance finds out about any of my tickets, they will raise my insurance premium.

Is this correct - that Tesla insurance holders should always take traffic school?
that kind of dumb dont you think......talking while making a turn?........its also very dangerous

Reactions: Pkmmte

Whether the ticket gets sent to Tesla or not is determined by the municipality/state so you would have to ask them. Whether Tesla Insurance ignores the ticket if you do traffic school is determined by Tesla Insurance. Don't ask one a question about something they don't have control over, and also, don't believe either about an answer to a question they don't have control over.

Whether the ticket gets sent to Tesla or not is determined by the municipality/state so you would have to ask them. Whether Tesla Insurance ignores the ticket if you do traffic school is determined by Tesla Insurance. Don't ask one a question about something they don't have control over, and also, don't believe either about an answer to a question they don't have control over.
Keep in mind, these things don't usually change one's insurance IMMEDIATELY, often it can be at renewal or after six months IF they are going to make a change. Things like accidents, DUI and a few others offer take much faster effect, but still not certain.

Just got Tesla insurance. Had Geico which was the cheapest for me since I was 19. They wanted 305 dollars a month for my Model 3 Performance. Tesla was 148. Came out to 168 a month because I like to carry overkill coverage and 500 deductible. I am 24 with a "clean" driving record (bunch of tickets but did traffic school on all)

Just got Tesla insurance. Had Geico which was the cheapest for me since I was 19. They wanted 305 dollars a month for my Model 3 Performance. Tesla was 148. Came out to 168 a month because I like to carry overkill coverage and 500 deductible. I am 24 with a "clean" driving record (bunch of tickets but did traffic school on all)
are you comfortable sharing your age?

edit: just saw, 24. Damn. I'm older than you and also have a clean record but tesla is charging me more!

edit: just saw, 24. Damn. I'm older than you and also have a clean record but tesla is charging me more!
I was sort of surprised at both quotes. Geico was the cheapest on my 2017 Ram 2500 cummins laramie (almost 80k truck) at about 150 a month. Then with this 60k car they wanted 305?? that made no sense. Tesla I was assuming would be around 200, but ended up way lower. I work with insurance on a daily basis and don't understand it still

I also just thought about it... Maybe it is because I have had a motorcycle license for 6 almost 7 years with no accidents? Motorcycles tend to have higher insurance do to higher accident rate. Also, have you been in any not at fault accidents? Insurance will still raise premiums if you get in a lot of not at fault accidents because you are "accident prone" even if it isn't your fault. I have had 4 over 8 years. 2 went to my insurance but the other driver were found at fault, 1 wasn't reported to anyone and another was not reported to my insurance because I dealt directly with his insurance myself.

Does Tesla mail you some physical proof of insurance, like other insurance providers?
Tesla app has all your Tesla Insurance documents under Account, Insurance, Documents. Proof of insurance PDF can easily be downloaded and added to Apple Wallet for iPhone users. No need for a physical document. Every time your insurance renews, documents are updated on the app.

Reactions: Hiline