Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confirmed the 256gb Samsung fit plus works fine on v10 all 4 channels look great with no speed frames. I used a cheap USB adapter to view on my phone. Seems like this may be the most popular one on this thread. Good temperature rating and small enough not to get in the way and not too small that it'll have heat buildup issues running long term. A bit more expensive but it's been working great for me since July.

Certainly works for me in v10.

I have the samsung Bar Plus 128GB, it looks on paper to have the same stats as the Samsung Fit plus but I'm getting speed errors, if I unplug and plug it back in it goes away.
Does the Samsung fit plus work with a Music partition and Teslacam/Sentry cam partition?
I don't want to buy another drive just to find out it's a software bug.
It doesn't have a problem on Sentry mode, just Teslacam.

This is only since version 10, and all minor updates since.

I don't think the issue is with our choice of drives - I can tap the dashcam button and get it to dump to USB without issue 100% of the time. The only time I get the "usb too slow" error is when I park the car, walk away, and let Sentry take over. If it was a hardware issue on our side, the dashcam footage wouldn't throw errors too.

Now, that said, I don't make a habit of pressing the dashcam button, so I might need to do some more testing, but I've tried it once a day for the past few days and it always seems to save.

Reactions: MrABRanch
I also have flawless service from Samsung fit plus. I use the 256gb version formatted into two drives for music and sentry. In addition to speed, pay attention to the maximum temperature ratings. Longevity drops significantly with high temperatures so pick one with high temperature ratings.... this is why I didn't go with ssd.

I have the samsung Bar Plus 128GB, it looks on paper to have the same stats as the Samsung Fit plus but I'm getting speed errors, if I unplug and plug it back in it goes away.
Does the Samsung fit plus work with a Music partition and Teslacam/Sentry cam partition?
I don't want to buy another drive just to find out it's a software bug.
It doesn't have a problem on Sentry mode, just Teslacam.

This is only since version 10, and all minor updates since.

Yes

I was using 2 sandisk cruzer fit 64gb drives on a splitter and would have the issue randomly. (It worked with no problem up until a certain software update)

I just switched to a 256gb sandisk high endurance sd card (with usb reader) which I partitioned and have had no issues yet.

Based upon research on this thread, I have narrowed my search down to these 3 options that all seem to be working with V10 (more often than not).

SanDisk 256GB iXpand Flash Drive for iPhone
://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUH9BET/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_sp5LDb8H32KHR

Samsung T5 Portable SSD - 500GB
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GZBT36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ur5LDbA58MX96

Samsung MUF-256AB/AM FIT Plus 256GB
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7Q41PM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4s5LDbNQBE4VN

I like the idea of the Sandisk as I can plug it in straight into my iPhone. For the other two, I would use this adapter

Suntrsi TF/SD Card Reader
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D72L4Q7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lu5LDbA5KQZC1

The Samsung SSD is a bit pricier but has twice the storage and I believe it will last longer than the other two flash drives after several thousand read and write routines. However, although it’s compact it will still take up a fair amount of space with the adapter.

Last edited:
Yea... do your homework. Samsung t5 is rated from 5c to 35c operating temperature. Most flash drives and sd cards go to 40c. That's exactly why I didn't get it. Samsung fit plus goes to 60c operating.

I did.

Samsung Portable SSD T5 | Samsung External Storage

The T5 Brochure and the user manual have differing data points, but the official Samsung T5 Brochure is newer by 2 years and states a 0-60c operating temperature.

I don't know why people keep using out of date references. 35C is completely unreasonable for damn near any HDD of any kind - and any vendor stating that this is it's high end operating temperature has never actually evaluated the temperature inside a standard computer chassis.

Edit: I have this in my Tesla with zero issues.

• Informative
Reactions: gilscales
I did.

Samsung Portable SSD T5 | Samsung External Storage

The T5 Brochure and the user manual have differing data points, but the official Samsung T5 Brochure is newer by 2 years and states a 0-60c operating temperature.

I don't know why people keep using out of date references. 35C is completely unreasonable for damn near any HDD of any kind - and any vendor stating that this is it's high end operating temperature has never actually evaluated the temperature inside a standard computer chassis.

Edit: I have this in my Tesla with zero issues.

You're right. I'm happy to be corrected. But don't blame us using outdated references, the Samsung official user manual in your link still says 35C... which is what I quoted. I probably would have gone for the T5 if I saw the 60C number and confirmed it with Samsung... I directly compared the two months ago and went with the fit plus due to this spec.

FYI, I ordered the Samsung 128GB USb, photo attached, and it has worked fine with this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191004-143856.png
    Screenshot_20191004-143856.png
    489.9 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: tvad
I have tried five or six different USB drives and all eventually give me the same error about the drive being too slow. The funny thing was that the knockoff "16gb" drive I tried was functional for the longest.

Has anyone figured out an actual solution to this?

I have a HW2.5 on 2019.32.11 if that means anything.

I use an ssd drive in a usb 3.0 case. 50 bucks for the 240gb drive, 14 for the case. works like a charm.

I'm using a Mac

Mac instructions here.

BIG DISCLAIMER - formatting partitions is sensitive - be sure you know what you are doing and be careful that you don't accidentally wipe out your hard drive.
One other thing in the Mac world to watch out for: hidden files.

I formatted my drive on my Mac (as that is where all my music is) and loaded all my music there. In most of the music formats (not all - haven't isolated which ones yet), it also adds a hidden file. I loaded about 7500 songs on my drive and if I recall correctly, I ended up having about 7400 hidden files.

I don't know if these hidden files cause an issue on the Tesla (it did on my last car), but I decided to play it safe and delete them on my PC at work. Just insert the drive, click to show hidden files to delete.

It may not be necessary to do this, but I did it just in case.

Jeez, are you going to start this again? The 2 or 3 small hidden files that the mac adds DO NOT cause any issues with the tesla. And as we already established, the mac DOES NOT create the huge number of hidden files you claim. You even proved that yourself. Now that you have a tesla, you can even test this all yourself easily.

Reactions: tvad and NowIsGood