Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got this drive which is supposed to be fast and USB (Samsung BAR Plus 128GB - 300MB/s USB 3.1) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BPG9YX9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Now with V10 and the rear camera, and partitioned with a Music Dir - it shows that the tesla cam doesn't have fast enough write speeds! even if I'm not playing music from the USB, Sentry mode doesn't seem to have this problem...not sure if it's a faulty drive or just not fast enough?
This is the same one I have and had worked perfectly fine until the recent V10 update. Now I see the slow warning as well. Unplugging it and plugging back in seems to clear it for a while so I think it's a software issue.

Reactions: MrABRanch
Use an SSD like the Samsung T5, and ignore all these people suggesting cheap, temperature sensitive, unreliable thumb drives. I use a 512GB T5 and it's flawless and I don't have to worry about it being in a hot car.

This is an excellent solution. I myself bought big SSD and external enclosure. SSD do a lot better with random and multi stream writes compared to any regular USB drives. I keep a small USB drive whenever my SSD gets full, i stick it in until i get home to remove older files.

What's the technical difference between a flash drive and an SSD?.

Lol... I have the same card and it has never worked.

I also have flawless service from Samsung fit plus. I use the 256gb version formatted into two drives for music and sentry. In addition to speed, pay attention to the maximum temperature ratings. Longevity drops significantly with high temperatures so pick one with high temperature ratings.... this is why I didn't go with ssd.

Same usb stick? This isn't a card... I didn't go for an sd card because i didn't know if the adapter was rated to high temperatures. As others have stated there are highly temperature and endurance rated sd cards.
I haven't used this one on v10 so maybe it won't work on that.

I have tried five or six different USB drives and all eventually give me the same error about the drive being too slow. The funny thing was that the knockoff "16gb" drive I tried was functional for the longest.

Has anyone figured out an actual solution to this?

I have a HW2.5 on 2019.32.11 if that means anything.

:rolleyes:

Plenty. Do some homework first ... and more importantly, stop buying knockoffs