Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a KNOWN SOFTWARE BUG. It has little to nothing to do with the drive.
Thank you for continuing to emphasize this. I suspect the people who think they've found a solution just have been lucky to not run into the bug condition - which apparently has nothing to do with the hardware. I've had four failures on 3 different drives in 4 months. The last time it failed while driving 3 miles to the post office. Unfortunately we were sideswiped by a hit-and-run driver at the post office and discovered the SentryCam USB drive had failed a few minutes earlier. No cameras in the post office parking lot. Can't wait to have a SOLUTION.

USB flash drives aren't designed for the constant, high speed, writing operations required for recording dash cam video. They are designed to be written infrequently and read repeatedly. They are great for music, but terrible for recording looping video. They only have so many write operations before they start to fail. Tesla should not even suggest flash drives. The best device for this is a solid state drive (SSD). They're designed for constant read/write and have no moving parts so they're shock resistant. I went with a SanDisk 250GB extremely portable SSD. https://amazon.com/go/product/B078SVRH4B. It's USB-C (includes B adapter) and I can plug it into my phone and review sentry footage right from the car.

Attachments

• 15719238435018405143476976575658.jpg
    15719238435018405143476976575658.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 89
USB flash drives aren't designed for the constant, high speed, writing operations required for recording dash cam video. They are designed to be written infrequently and read repeatedly. They are great for music, but terrible for recording looping video. They only have so many write operations before they start to fail.

This has been repeatedly debunked, with actual math, over and over again by now.

Possibly you should read this and other threads on the topic before posting.

The short math though is even the cheapest/crappiest flash keys are rated for 1000 write cycles- and the decent cheap stuff is 3000 cycles.

On a 128GB key, for the amount Tesla writes, if you used sentry/dashcam 9 hours a day (8 hours parked at work, 1 hour driving) you'd get between 5-15 years before you hit the minimum write cycle limit.

Double that for a 256GB key.

That's without getting into debunking the "moving parts" and "shock resistance" nonsense someone else already covered.

• Love
Reactions: phantasms
I’ve seen way too many videos and articles of people keying Tesla’s. I haven’t used sentry mode yet and feel the need to start using the feature. Any recommendations on the best USB drives or SSD cards to get for Sentry Mode?

I also have the wireless phone charger so if you have a usb splitter that works well, please let me know!

My phone autocorrected. The Amazon link for the SSD is https://amazon.com/gp/product/B078SVRH4B
Are you viewing the footage on an iPhone or Android? I have the Samsung T5 SSD but it requires an additional buss power adapter before the drive will mount on the phone (reference my earlier post). If your drive doesn’t require the additional
Power adaptor and can be plugged directly
into the phone via a USB C to lightening connector I may return the Samsung T5 and the same drive you have.

A lot of talk about the Too Slow error. Are any of you encountering this?
IMG_0203.jpg

My sandisk 128gb has been working flawlessly for months. But lately I encountered two of these errors. I reformatted the drive to fat32 and it works for a week or so and then the error returns. Seems to be happening post v10 update.

had problems with Sandisk Micro usb and changed to Samsung FIT Plus Flash Drive 64 GB.
Since then I have had absolutely no problems with the dash cam or Sentry mode. Works well for meanwhile a couple of weeks...
Tried also the Samsung FIT Pluss Flash Drive 32 GB and again no problems at all...
For both Flash Drives saved videos are accessible as well as Sentry videos and latest recordings (all in seperate folders in the TeslaCam folder

If I had more time, I would go through this thread (and the others that haven't been merged in yet) and I know that for every device that someone swears works flawlessly, there is at least one person who has had a failure.

I am not a software or hardware engineer, but I think one could logically come to the conclusion (from reading all the posts here) that this is not a hardware issue, but a SW issue that seems to be exacerbated with V10. Yes, this is based anecdotal comments and not empirical data, but at some point, it becomes a safe assumption.

For me, I considered getting a Samsung T5 SSD 500GB, but instead picked up a 256 GB SanDisk Cruser for $32 from Costco. I fully expect it to fail at some point and if unrecoverable, get something else. Not the best solution, but until Tesla fixes things, it's the best I can do.

I’ve seen way too many videos and articles of people keying Tesla’s. I haven’t used sentry mode yet and feel the need to start using the feature. Any recommendations on the best USB drives or SSD cards to get for Sentry Mode?
This is the thread to look for that info. Read it. Or just pick a few pages and read them, you'll undoubtedly hit a few good recommendations.

Reactions: M3LL0
Sentry doesn't record anything.

It just moves the last 10 minutes of dashcam files from recent to saved when it goes to alert mode.

Sentry will work just fine with NO usb storage-still turn on, still go to alert mode with flashing lights and HAL 9000 message- it just won't move over anything since there's nothing to move.

Anyway, mathwise, 4 cameras are writing 7.2 GB per hour to the recent folder, that's 172.8 gigs per day... or 1.35 full write cycles on a 128GB drive.

The cheapest flash memory out there is rated for 1000 write cycles, the decent cheap stuff (which is what I believe Samsung uses), is rated for 3000... so that's just over 2 years to reach 1000 write cycles, or just over 6 years to hit 3000.

For most folks who are only running the cameras/sentry about 1/2 to 1/3rd of their day on decent cheap stuff you're talking 12-18 years to use up a 128GB stick.

Either way you shouldn't be anywhere near the limits of the HW today....and high endurance memory won't change that.

Well I was having the error along with others using similar hardware since V10 - I don't think it's coincidence.
I've got the new memory in, will see how it performs going forward.